Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 30

1 2
next

Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/2/6 10:39
So, i saw that Docomo sell unlocked cellphones now.

Do they work outside japan? I'm thinking about buying a new Sony in japan, unlock it and use back in my country.

Any advices?

:D thanx
by resetme  

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/2/7 12:51
Will you be a resident or a tourist?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/2/10 02:23
Resident! 2 years
by resetme (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/2/13 13:09
Great, then you'll shouldn't have trouble with the initial purchase.

Do they work outside japan?

Docomo specific features will likely not work.

I'm thinking about buying a new Sony in japan, unlock it and use back in my country.

Any advices?

Research the specific model to make sure it works on carriers in your home country.

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/2/27 14:20
I'm in the same situation as the original poster where I want to buy a Docomo Sony phone and use it back in my country, but I would be classified as a tourist.

I am willing to pay the full retail price and I'm not planning to use it at all in Japan. Can I still buy a brand new one and get it unlocked?

Thanks.
by Jason (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/2/27 14:40
I am willing to pay the full retail price and I'm not planning to use it at all in Japan. Can I still buy a brand new one and get it unlocked?

Most likely no. It doesn't appear that they sell unlocked phones, rather they only unlock the phones of existing subscribers. To become a subscriber requires residency.

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/2/28 12:22
You can buy new factory unlocked phones, and also DoCoMo phones that can be unlocked by DoCoMo at Akihabara. There are 4 shops (same name) that I usually go to.
They also sell a variety of Pads.

The unlocked Apple stuff is expensive though....
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/2/28 12:54
You can buy new factory unlocked phones, and also DoCoMo phones that can be unlocked by DoCoMo at Akihabara.

You mean at the independent shops, not the docomo store?

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/3/1 10:45
Yes, at independent shops, not the docomo store

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/3/1 12:52
Thanks Yellow Smurf and Sandy. What is the name of the store? Can I get Docomo to unlock them even if I'm a tourist?
by Jason (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/3/1 14:16
It is unclear from the language they use on their site, but it seems that they might only unlock for current subscribers. If that is the case then tourists would not be able to get factory unlocks.

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/support/procedure/simcard/unlock_dc...

But, it doesn't make that much of a difference since unlocked versions of many of their handsets are available from 3rd parties. Docomo is not the sole outlet of all "docomo" phones.

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/3/1 15:53
You don't have to be a DoCoMo subscriber to get the phone unlocked. Just take it there and pay 3150yen, and they will unlock it.
I am not a DoCoMo subscriber and they unlocked my phone.

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/3/1 16:25
That is good news to hear. Hopefully every docomo outlet is as aware of the policies as the outlet that you visited.

On a side note, Sandy you seem to have had a lot of phones on all different carriers by now. How often are you changing your phones?

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/3/4 08:29
I don't have so many phones that I use myself (My wife & daughter have phones though), but apart from my usual work(telecoms), I am involved with a skiing website, so people from Australia are always asking me about phones.

I've let a few Softbank prepaid voice SIMs expire, and two B-mobile SIMs (these were in PADs not phones), as I've been using a Q-Max WiMax WiFi device, which enables up to 5 devices to be connected. They also have an LTE version that allows connection to 10 devices.

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/3/21 23:05
Sandy, could you please tell me the name and location (or website) of the shops selling unlocked Pads in Akihabara ? My friend asked me to look for unlocked ASUS Nexus 7 (with 3G).
by Nunt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/3/24 17:31
Hello Sandy, may i know which Docomo shop did you go to unlock your phone without being a Docomo subscriber?

Thanks.
by Jo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/3/25 09:06
You can get these phones at IOSYS at Akihabara. They have 4 stores there. (google their website)

When browsing in these shops, make sure you DON'T buy any of the AU iphones/Samsung Galaxy/Experia/HTC/etc because these are special versions just for AU with ONLY CDMA, not 3G.

They sell DoCoMo & Softbank phones (locked), but also some factory unlocked phones. (they call them "SIM free". The DoCoMo phones can be unlocked in a DoCoMo store for 3150yen. A friend of mine also calls and asks the people in the store (the one on the west side of Chuo Dori) to unlock a locked DoCoMo phone before he comes to pick it up!!!! (So you can possibly go into the store and ask them to unlock it and you can pick up the next day/week)
Softbank will not unlock phones, so it's best to stick to DoCoMo.

The factory unlocked iphones are expensive, but some of the other brands are not too bad!!

Another interesting thing you can do with AU phones is to use them as a music player, android WiFi device, as some of these AU smart phones are ridiculously cheap!!! e.g. I picked up an HTC Evo 3D phone a while back, for 7980yen. At that price, it was worth it just for the 3D camera and 3D viewing screen!!

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/3/26 01:45
Guys, I'm traveling tomorrow!

So, the Xperia AX cost 730 US at Docomo! But if i buy from yesasia.com and send it to my address in japan, it will cost less than 390us.

idk... i think i will go for the yesasia deal
by resetme rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/3/26 02:25
IOSYS have good prices, but they are all used phones :(
by resetme rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo unlocked cellphones 2013/3/26 07:30
From reset me:
"IOSYS have good prices, but they are all used phones :( "

I'm sorry, but this is simply not correct!!!!!

I have bought 5 new phones & and two new pads at IOSYS at various times, and while they have used phones, there is a large selection of new phones....

You can either ask the staff, which ones are new, or learn the kanji for "new" and "second hand"!!!
The labels will also give it away..... new phones are generally blue labels, while second hand is in red.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 30

1 2
next

reply to this thread