Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Appropriate gift 2013/2/7 07:31
Hello to everyone.
I have a question that may seem weird. Long time ago, when I was very young (almost a child), an unknown Japanese person did a favour to me.
While I never met this person in my entire life, due to various reasons in my life, I have never forgot that random act of kindness. My life has recently been very difficult emotionally and that made me remember and appreciate kindness from an unknown (distant) person even more. For me, it has been rare to experience such thing even among familiar people.
Having reached this stage of awareness, I would feel indebted for not responding in a similar fashion. Especially now that I am an adult person and much wiser than at that certain time.
Is there any way that i could send some kind of a gift that wouldn't seem too weird? This person surely does not remember me, nor I expect that.
Naturally, when sending a thank you gift, it has to be done "from heart" without any expectations, but I am worried that, due to the peculiar situation, my act would be regarded as weird and inappropriate.
In that case, of course, I wouldn't want to send anything and would just continue to cherish the memory.
I need advice from a Japanese person.

Please forgive me for not disclosing too many information as I regard this thing as personal.
by Ink (guest)  

Re: Appropriate gift 2013/2/7 14:17
The new school year is coming up soon, and during this time you often hear stories of people donating randoseru backpacks to orphanages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Mask_donation_phenomenon
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate gift 2013/2/7 16:51
Oh, that wasn't really what I had in mind. Also, I'm not an orphan and I am thinking of the exact person, not an institution.
by Ink (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate gift 2013/2/7 19:12
Oh I see, I was confused from your question since you said the person was unknown to you.
Sorry I thought you intended to pay forward their act with an anonymous act of kindness of your own. Without knowing more info, I would suggest maybe a heartfelt letter explaining how their help changed your life and how appreciative you are of that. Anything more just seems trivial and unnecessary, unless they are going through some personal hardship that you know of and can/want to help out with.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread