Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working in Japan - short term? 2013/2/7 08:20
To make a long story short, Since going to japan on holiday in 2007, I've been going back each year for a holiday.
For the last 2 years I've been wanting to go to Japan to work, but something always stops me. I'm not planning to travel as I've done that during my holidays.
Now I'm married and was planning to have a baby at the end of the year. I was planning to have kids before 30 years old.. and I'm 29 now.
I should be thankful I having a job now. But I can't get rid of this Japan bug and always wanting to go. (I've heard bad stories from friends who has lived in Japan, but I still want to go and have my own experience).

Is it possible to find a 6 months job in Japan?
I know women are having kids at a late age now, but should I hold off on having kids and try and go to Japan instead?
I'm lost at what to do, any advice would be appreciated, thank you
by Jenny (guest)  

Re: Working in Japan - short term? 2013/2/7 10:16
Where are you from? A Working Holiday Visa may work, but not if you're American.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan - short term? 2013/2/7 10:57
I'm from New Zealand.

Is it better to apply for the WHV then start searching for a job?
by Jenny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan - short term? 2013/2/7 13:06
Is it possible to find a 6 months job in Japan?

If you don't qualify for a WHV then probably not. What is your citizenship?

I know women are having kids at a late age now, but should I hold off on having kids and try and go to Japan instead?

I would strongly suggest going to Japan or having kids, but not both at the same time. Also what is your husband/bf/significant other planning on doing?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan - short term? 2013/2/7 19:14
It will get a lot more difficult for you to move to Japan to work once you have a baby, but putting off the baby another couple of years and going to Japan first means you can do both.

I had my first baby at 36, a few years earlier might also have been good but at 29 I still had places I want to go and things to see and I'm very glad I did that before having children.

Only you (with your partner's input I'm sure) can decide the right timing for you though!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan - short term? 2013/2/8 15:18
Thank you to everyone's help.
I'll see if I can go to Japan before I have kids.

@Sira. I feel like I still have places I wanna explore before having kids too. Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking that way :)
by Jenny (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread