Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Live-in nanny on resume 2013/2/9 08:04
How seriously is a live-in nanny taken by Japanese employers?

Some of you may have seen my replies to another post about teaching English overseas. The JET program would be my first choice, but since my graduation date does not aline with the JET program's due dates, I am open to other options.

I know I will be asked my education and past employment. I will be graduating soon with my bachelor's degree. Although it is not in English or education, since it is a bachelor's degree and since English is my native language I meet the requirements.

As for previous employment, I have never had a "conventional" job up until now. Throughout college I was a live-in nanny during the summers for a family who traveled due to work and sporadically throughout the school year.

I've found that here in the US, this is not acceptable to put on a resume. My college advisors advised against putting on a resume as employers will often discredit it... even though it was a lot of responsibility (during the summers I was the sole caretaker for the children for weeks at a time since the parents were out of state) and it paid very well.

Because I wanted to be able to be able to have an actual resume, I have taken a job at a drugstore. It is not much, but it is at least something.

My question is when I apply for these programs and for jobs in Japan, should my experience as a live-in nanny be listed or no?
by Bethany (guest)  

... 2013/2/9 09:52
I would list it for the reasons you mention. If the children were of school age I'd probably list their ages too.

I'm pretty sure the common/correct spelling is "align" unless there is a strange American version which I am unaware of. That's quite possible considering how many other words you spell differently to me!

Good luck!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Live-in nanny on resume 2013/2/9 15:34
Work with children is far more relevant to teaching in Japan than working at a drugstore. Yes, definitely list it on your resume.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Live-in nanny on resume 2013/3/7 01:38
I am facing the same problem, but am unsure of how exactly to list it on my resume or CV. What would the appropriate title be that Japan would recognize? I know my friend in France says a live-in nanny is listed as "au pair". Here in the US I was told to list it was "Child Care Provider", but to me that didn't sit well because it sounded as if I worked for an actual company or something whereas I had applied for the nanny position from Craig's List and it turned out to be the best job (in turns of money and the children I took care of) I've had. Any recommendations on what to call this position on a resume/CV?
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2013/3/7 22:35
Any recommendations on what to call this position on a resume/CV?

Do exactly what you just did for resume/CV and list it as Live-in Nanny/Au Pair.
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Live-in nanny on resume 2013/3/8 00:31
OP,

I'm not an expert on career-starting resumes, but I believe your advisors are leading you astray. How is working in a drugstore relevant to your career? I can't imagine how it is building up your resume. You didn't say what your major is, but your resume should emphasize the skills you have. So for either job, you could emphasize things like time management, organizational and leadership skills, the level of responsibility, etc. But I think you can leave them both off your resume, especially if you have other things you can point to.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread