Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cameras cheaper than the UK 2013/2/9 18:21
I am going to Japan in March and currently do not have a camera to take. I was thionking it may be cheaper to get one over there? Is this correct? I've heard Akihabara is the place to go if so?
I'm not after anything fantastic, just something that takes decent photos. I'm not fussed about special lenses etc. How much do you think I could get a standard camera for in Japan? Will there be import charges? Or could I just make out like I took it with me? Is there anything I should know about transferability to a UK system?
Thank you.
by fairylights87  

Re: Cameras cheaper than the UK 2013/2/10 04:03
I looked into this before my last visit & it turned out that the cameras were cheaper or the same price in the UK. Also you get the benefit of being able to go back to the place you bought it if anything goes wrong.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Cameras cheaper than the UK 2013/2/10 04:11
Hi, I think you can buy an ordinary digital camera at the price under 20,000 yen. The price which is popular and they sell most is around 15,000 yen.
And as for tax, I'm not sure, but maybe you don't have to worry about it.
I hope this will help you. bye!
by kazz1972 rate this post as useful

Re: Cameras cheaper than the UK 2013/2/10 08:27
The price will not be more interesting, given the current exchange rate, the only advantage is to have a recent product that will sell in a year in europe. Regarding compatibility, digital has no border ... For taxes, introduce the bill in case of control. In Akihabara, simply go to Yodobashi camera. The selection is huge and fair prices. If you want to make a deal, ask if they have products last year. Sometimes they still have and they are sold at half price.
by fuchan29 rate this post as useful

Re: Cameras cheaper than the UK 2013/2/10 23:09
it's not cheaper in japan and if you're not well versed in cameras i'd suggest just buying one in your own country before you come.

if you're ok with used equipment, shinjuku is the best place to buy - there are many used and new camera shops in west shinjuku and nakano such as kitamura camera, map camera or fujiya camera. they have tons of used cameras and lenses in great condition.

for new cameras you'll just lose money by buying in japan.
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cameras cheaper than the UK 2013/2/11 11:01
I compared the prices of two compact cameras that I'm interested in. The prices are from Amazon[.com,.jp,.uk] and converted to yen.

Nikon P310
JPN: 14,200
US: 17,764
UK: 24,397

Canon S110
JPN: 35,820
US: 35,065
UK: 53,468 (yeah, that's 53)

I've never checked out UK prices before but the difference between Japan and the US is consistent with comparisons I've made in the past. It's usually about the same or a little bit cheaper in Japan.

If you buy in Japan, stay away from Sony and Panasonic cameras (no English menus).
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cameras cheaper than the UK 2013/2/12 12:40
Canon S110
JPN: 35,820
US: 35,065
UK: 53,468

Plus, the Japanese price on kakau.com is cheaper:

Kakaku, Canon S110
JPN: 29,660 yen
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cameras cheaper than the UK 2013/2/13 12:56
I'm not after anything fantastic, just something that takes decent photos. I'm not fussed about special lenses etc.

If you are not looking for something specific then it is probably not worth the trouble to hunt through kakaku and deal with finding the small shops or shopping online.

You'll probably be better off getting a basic point and shoot at home and familiarizing yourself with it before your trip. That way you'll get the most out of your trip and not waste time shopping for things when you arrive.

That said:

How much do you think I could get a standard camera for in Japan?

Prices start around 10,000 for current basic models.

Will there be import charges?

Probably no, but check the UK customs rules.

Or could I just make out like I took it with me?

This is probably unnecessary as the cost usually falls within most countries' duty free limits.

Is there anything I should know about transferability to a UK system?

A camera bought in Japan will not have warranty service in the UK. Also some manufacturers (sony and panasonic) don't sell domestic models with English menus.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Cameras cheaper than the UK 2013/2/17 06:47
I was very pleasantly surprised at the price of cameras at one of the camera shops at Narita airport. It was in T2 before security. After checking in, look up at the shops and restaurants then go up the escalators.

I got a Canon 7D for £560. The cheapest price in the UK is approx £1050. There was a similar type saving for the 6D.

Above the level that the OP is looking for, but worth a visit perhaps to see the prices on the cheaper stuff.
by Billy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread