Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What job opportunities do I have in Japan? 2013/2/12 07:31
Hello everyone.

I would like to know what job opportunities are available for people like me in Japan.

I'm a Bulgarian and Cypriot citizen, graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Turkish and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Cyprus.

I speak Bulgarian, Greek and English fluently.

I have worked at a Cypriot company for about a year, as a secretary. I'm currently studying Japanese at a language school in my country. I'm in my late 20's.

As a mom-native English speaker, coming from non-native English speaking countries, with the qualities mentioned above, do I even have a chance for employment in Japan?

All comments are welcome.

by stardust (guest)  

Re: What job opportunities do I have in Japan? 2013/2/13 11:06
*non-native English speaker.

I realize full well that I don't qualify for an English language teaching position.

My question is, what job opportunities exist for a person like me, excluding English teaching positions, of course.

by stardust (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What job opportunities do I have in Japan? 2013/2/13 13:52
Can't really answer your question fully but just wanted to say that if you are really fluent in English, you can still obtain work as a teacher. You arent disqualified automatically from all English teaching jobs just cause you arent from a "Western country". You might need to pass some tests and such, depends on employer. Biggest problem is the visa.
by Velius rate this post as useful

Re: What job opportunities do I have in Japan? 2013/2/13 21:24
Can't really answer your question fully but just wanted to say that if you are really fluent in English, you can still obtain work as a teacher. You arent disqualified automatically from all English teaching jobs just cause you arent from a "Western country". You might need to pass some tests and such, depends on employer.

I did my research and found out I don't qualify for an English language teaching position.

In order to qualify, I must be either a citizen of a native English speaking country, or, if not from a native English speaking country, I must have either completed 12 years of my education in English or the equivalent.

Even though I have graduated from an English profile High School, it still doesn't qualify me as an English teacher.

My 12 years of education weren't in English.
I learnt English as part of the school curriculum, in private lessons and language schools.

Please note that my written English is superior to my spoken one.

Biggest problem is the visa.

Why is visa a problem? I have a Bachelor degree, therefore I fulfill the immigration requirement.

Re: What job opportunities do I have in Japan? 2013/2/14 11:20
Why is visa a problem? I have a Bachelor degree, therefore I fulfill the immigration requirement.

I believe Velius is referring to the visa for an english teaching position. While you may indeed qualify for teaching jobs (i.e. a demonstrable english ability and a BA) immigration might refuse to grant the visa based on your non-native background.

There are plenty of other job opportunities in Japan for foreigners, but they are typically for specialized professions (tourism, education, IT, finance, etc.) and do not usually include things like secretarial or non-skilled labor. Also, how is your Japanese? The job opportunities will definitely increase with your language level.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: What job opportunities do I have in Japan? 2013/2/15 03:44
While you may indeed qualify for teaching jobs (i.e. a demonstrable english ability and a BA) immigration might refuse to grant the visa based on your non-native background.

I know this. I did my research before I posted my question.

There are plenty of other job opportunities in Japan for foreigners, but they are typically for specialized professions (tourism, education, IT, finance, etc.) and do not usually include things like secretarial or non-skilled labor.

Thanks. I will have these options in mind.

Also, how is your Japanese? The job opportunities will definitely increase with your language level.

I'm currently studying Japanese in a language school in my country. My current level is beginners.

reply to this thread