Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Similar programs to JET? 2013/2/12 09:22
This website has been truly helpful when it comes to finding teaching programs in Japan. I plan to apply to JET for next year, but I know it is extremely competitive and so I am looking at other programs.

Many people recommended I just be hired straight through a company instead of a program, but from all the reviews I read, the programs are more helpful at situating you in a new country (although I know this isn't always the case of course).

My question is if anyone can recommend other programs? So far I have only been recommended companies.

One program I did find was CIEE, but it did not offer teaching positions in Japan. Their program for South Korea looks quite nice though. I keep finding programs like this, but none are for Japan.

Any help?
by onthemovetexas (guest)  

Re: Similar programs to JET? 2013/2/13 15:29
JET is the government sponsored program in Japan and as such, is probably the only program like that in Japan. It finds people, has 'training' and then places you with your town/board of education who is then completely in charge of you. It's become more competitive because more people are aware of it and because of private company competition that offers cheaper alternatives there are less JET positions now than there used to be.

I'm not quite sure why you feel that you that JET will be better than situating you than other companies. ALT styled companies will help you find accomodation and transportation and often have someone to help you get set up with all your documents and to help you be introduced to your schools. They also have at least a week's worth of training where they teach you not only how to live in Japan but how to teach. Something that JET rather lacks (they're very good at telling you how to live in Japan but not so much how to teach in Japan...)

There are of course cons to ALT type work as the rent is normally not subsidized and the pay is a little less. But you also get longer vacations and if you have troubles with your teachers/schools the company you work for will be able to help you out. With JET because you work directly for the BoE you'll need to solve most issues like that yourself

The only alternative if you don't get JET and still find the ALT style companies unappealing is to try to find any schools/towns that are hiring directly which is quite rare.
by Sage (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Similar programs to JET? 2013/2/13 20:16
You could try one of the ALT (Amateur English Teachers) outsourcing companies, such as Altia
or Interac.
I only have experience of one but would guess they are as bad as each other.
They will employ anyone who meets the visa requirements and only has one head.
I think the problem may be that the penny is finally starting to drop from my experience and BOEfs in Japan are wondering why they are paying so much for amateur teachers when they can employ a professional directly and not pay for whole setup of staff in an office somewhere in Japan.
All he best with the JET program I think itfs your best bet.
by jchel rate this post as useful

Re: Similar programs to JET? 2013/2/14 11:34
JET is generally the best option for most people. It has the best pay and support system, better benefits, and probably the most flexibility should you decide to stay in Japan long term. On the other hand, the hiring is more competitive and the contract periods more strict. I haven't really heard of other large scale programs like JET but there are some small ones that come out of sister city relationships, rotary club contacts and the like so you may want to see what your available connections are.

A few more comments on previous posts:

They also have at least a week's worth of training where they teach you not only how to live in Japan but how to teach. Something that JET rather lacks (they're very good at telling you how to live in Japan but not so much how to teach in Japan...)

In my experience the private dispatch teachers and JET teachers are pretty much the same in quality. BTW, it varies by prefecture, but JET runs several teaching seminars per year for their teachers.

There are of course cons to ALT type work as the rent is normally not subsidized and the pay is a little less. But you also get longer vacations

Note that many private companies do not pay you during those long vacations. Interac, as mentioned in another thread, only pays 60% and 75% pay for August and December respectively. JETs, on the other hand, get 20 days of paid vacation per year plus sick leave, so you end up with around the same amount of vacation time except that its paid.

and if you have troubles with your teachers/schools the company you work for will be able to help you out. With JET because you work directly for the BoE you'll need to solve most issues like that yourself

That is not correct. All JETs are assigned a supervisor (either a BOE member or teacher), and part of their job is to help you out with whatever school/life things you need. Of course the quality varies by supervisor so some are more helpful than others.

Best bet is to apply for multiple companies. I'd probably try JET first and if you don't get in then look toward the private and dispatch companies.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Similar programs to JET? 2013/2/17 10:01
yllwsmrf i am new to this site but see you reply a lot you are always very helpful and provide more information than most thank you for your insightful posts=)
by NewToJapanGuide (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Similar programs to JET? 2013/2/18 09:56
Don't be too fooled into thinking JET is all that. Pay and benefits are definitely superior but you may find yourself stuck out in the boonies with little support. Every company is going to make sure you at least have a place to live and know how to get to work, but don't expect too much more than that from anywhere, including JET. At the end of the day it's a job like all the other ALT dispatch companies.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Similar programs to JET? 2013/2/18 10:28
JET has its downsides too (no choice in placement, no advancement path, etc.), but being "stuck out in the boonies with little support" is a risk with virtually all of the big ALT companies.

They are all the same basic job, but I'm sure we'd all rather do the job for higher pay, actual benefits, and a non-exploitative contract. Some of the other companies might be able to provide a similar package, but JET definitely guarantees all three.

Definitely do your research to figure out what company is best for you. For most people it comes down to timing and placement. Either JET doesn't work for them because the timing is off or they don't get accepted for that year's hiring period, or they want more freedom to choose a placement. Just be aware of what you give up in return.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread