Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are seafood still safe to eat in Japan 2013/2/15 10:25
After the Nuclear plant crisis and the rescent North Korean Nuclear test, how bad would be the radiation pollution of the sea water around Japan?

I am going to Osaka in two monthes time. A bit worried about the food safty

by Sarah (guest)  

Re: Are seafood still safe to eat in Japan 2013/2/15 17:57
To be frank, I am worried too. Call me paranoid but I no longer view Japanese seafood as fresh. Instead my first thought is "is it radiated???"
by Silentsnow (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are seafood still safe to eat in Japan 2013/2/15 18:59
Well, it was about a year ago that an imported food product from Europe was disposed from the Japanese market because it had too much radiation in it. So yeah, who knows? And it's not that difficult to avoid seafood while your stay in Japan.

But I prefer to eat what I want and then eat all the other balanced foods so that anything bad for my body would be detoxed properly.

http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/2011eq/index.html
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are seafood still safe to eat in Japan 2013/2/17 15:42
We use the guide from our Australian Government regarding radiation and safety issue in general in Japan, and in fact all our travels.
As a short term visitor the issues are minimal.
Travel to a wonderful country, visit destinations to your interest, and eat at will.
There are stringent food guidelines in place in Japan.
Enjoy!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Are seafood still safe to eat in Japan 2013/2/18 09:39
As for North Korea even the South Korean military is having trouble getting radiation readings to confirm what kind of test they conducted. There's no way that is going to impact the food supply.

The nuclear power plant disaster is more pertinent, but no one worries more about radiation poisoning than Japanese people. Everything is very strictly measured so you should put your mind at ease. Food safety is taken very seriously here.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are seafood still safe to eat in Japan 2013/2/18 20:03
Thank you all for your reply. I feel a lot more relaxed now. So looking forward to the trip.
by Sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are seafood still safe to eat in Japan 2013/2/22 04:54
Greenpeace in Japan has been conducting Guerilla Inspections on local-caught seafood in various grocery chains.

On the recent inspections conducted on Dec 2012, no readings of iodine or caecium had been found from 15 samples they gathered.

http://www.greenpeace.org/japan/fss11/

The Japanese regulation enforces every produces stores sell to specify the origins, and it's very hard to cheat this system with distribution networks and codes they use. Some sample taken above seems to be from the tsunami affected area, but it's a good sign that no radiation has been traced.

The South Korean government has yet found the trace of radiation. I think NoKor faked the nuclear testing with the big dynamite blast to scare near-by countries. No one in Japan has been alarmed by it.

I hope you feel better. It's too sad not to try seafood in visiting Japan.
by jomonstrider (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are seafood still safe to eat in Japan 2013/2/25 08:19
they can fish from the otherside of the island.They re surrounded by water.ý think it s not too big deal.Soemtimes we get more radiation from a screens and static electric from machines.
by Turkish buddy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread