Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

Airbnb OK now with new law? 2017/10/17 11:48
I'm finding a lot better selection for my dates of travel on airbnb and vrbo. I know I've read in the past that they are a legal gray area and people have had some issues. But I know there is a newly passed law about it this year (https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/03/10/business/corporate-busine...)

So is it OK now? Or still a bit risky?
by JB25 (guest)  

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2017/10/17 12:55
I stayed at 3x airbnb apartments last month. No issues.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2017/10/17 13:14
Most airbnb rentals are still illegal, in that they violate the rental agreements or the coop/condominium building agreements of the people who own or originally rent the apartments. And yes, people still call the cops on neighbors who they suspect of illegally renting via airbnb. So no, they're not "okay" for the most part.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Private house accommodation 2017/10/17 15:50
Regarding the business of private house accommodation [minpaku],
currently a national legal restriction is yet to be effective.

Until minpaku agencies like Airbnb
get ready to identify and classify properties and turn down unlawful entries,
it would be highly risky to rely only on minpaku during your days in Japan.

I know there is a newly passed law about it this year

The Japan Times news report was made when the Cabinet submitted a bill to the Diet in March 2017.
(It never says like "there is a newly passed law" about the minpaku business.)

Actually the bill became a law in June in 2017,
which shall come fully into force by the 15th of June 2018.

According to the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare,
a research in 2016,
where properties were sampled from those registered on minpaku agency websites,
shows that in many cases the property could not be identified or it was not clear whether the property was offered lawfully.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2017/10/17 16:20
Still illegal (except in two special areas) until 2018. Properties must be registered and chances are those breaking the law now (and their rental contracts) will continue to break the law next year too.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2017/10/17 19:13
hakata14, anecdotal evidence is not helpful - stories of your personal trip are not the law.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2017/10/17 22:17
hakata14 is a highly respected contributor to this forum.
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2017/10/17 22:25
I don't know about the "highly" part, but even if so, just because it was OK on his trip, it doesn't make everything about it legit.
by ......... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2017/10/18 00:27
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's still a bit of a risk, even if it does work out well for most.
by JB25 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2017/10/18 06:06
For what it is worth!?...my family in Japan tell me that 'Some Chinese Students and Workers'...rent apartments...then they place those apartments on the 'Airbnb' market at a higher price in order to make money!....they 'bunk-up' together when their apartment is rented out!...this is illegal and in some cases the security and health/cleanliness of the beds, and apartment is questionable, as are the cheap electrical appliances. Apparently 'visitors' renting theses apartments have been removed! when authorities have been informed by the neighbours. Be careful!..as it is illegal to rent!.
by Barrieaw (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2017/10/18 10:35
well, Airbnb helps the host's illegal renting. I believe that is illegal too in Japan, because Airbnb does not take any action to remove illegal entries.
those are similar to the situation of over-speed driving. It might be OK, but might be not.
personal experiences is meaningless.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2017/10/18 18:42
I didn't know we had so many lawyer contributing to this community that have the legal ability to tender non anecdotal evidence in a courtroom.

I'm not here to tender evidence. I'm not a lawyer. This isn't a courtroom. I'm not here to argue the legalities of Airbnb or other host websites.

---

I made a comment on my personal usage of properties that are on Airbnb. Although I booked all mine properties through booking.com. You turn up and find them with Airbnb banners, booking.com posters and expedia stickers.

They all had remote fire alarms, fire escape plans, fire extinguisher, emergency phone number list. Taken my details and nationality as per requirement from Japan tourism peoples.

Yeah you hear the horror stories about Airbnb properties. But they seem few and far between nowadays. If you are planning on using a Airbnb property, just do your homework first. Make sure you check the feedback given.

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2017/10/18 20:48
I actually am a lawyer, but not licensed in Japan.

I booked an Airbnb through Agoda, which turned out to then book it through booking.com, which seems to be owned by Agoda. But the communication between the two companies caused a lot of problems for me, and it was difficult to resolve them. One company said one thing, while another said something else. I don't even know for sure if I have a room when I show up in Tokyo next week (it's only for the first night, as I have Toyoko Inn booked for all days after that). And, if anything does go wrong, it is difficult to contact Agoda customer service from Japan, because they require voice contact, which isn't easy for someone to do on a tourist visa.
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2017/10/18 21:06
@ hakata14
If you can understand Japanese, you must have heard of many cases in which illegal hosts were arrested/sued by neighborhoods.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2018/6/6 13:35
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2018/6/6 16:50
Even better here:

Airbnb removes 80% of Japan home-share listings
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Airbnb-removes-80-of-Japan-home-share...

Bye bye unruly foreign tourists. Back to the hostels and their strict rules. Good thing some still want to stop the crazy gentrification of our cities...and not just here in Japan.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2018/6/6 17:16
When it comes to the rules, they just moved the goalposts.

Unregistered room listed just got removed. It wont take long for those with the means to begin to register their rooms under the new laws. And now the new laws remove any grey area involved, bigger hotel and/or accommodation businesses will begin to enter the makes.

The decline of listings wont last for ever.

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2018/6/6 19:07
The decline of listings wont last for ever.

It seems you did not read the article from Nikkei:
Without a specific law on the books, prospective hosts had been required to obtain either a permit under the hotel law or certification in a special economic zone, such as Tokyo's Ota Ward. But many homeowners had obtained neither, leaving them in a legal gray zone.

The new minpaku law that takes effect on June 15 will lower legal hurdles, enabling hosts to provide accommodation for up to 180 days a year by registering their dwellings with local authorities. After that, those without permission will not be able to operate.

It is over. Landlords are required to have a registration number. No registration number no listing. Even those who managed to have one are LIMITED to 180 days a year.

All those happy with Airbnb are those who have not (YET) faced the consquencess of gentrification because of Airbnb, skyrocketing rental rates, unruly weekly new neighborhood, trash being mixed (combustible with non combustible)...and NOISE!

PS: I never used Airbnb and will never do.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2018/6/6 20:17
There is a something about this gAirbnb banh that I completely fail to understand.

Japan is a country where renting a weekly apartment is quite normal for businesses. This here is only one of several such agencies that rent out totally legally apartments for stays anywhere between a few days and many months:

https://www.weekly-mansion.com/

There is absolutely nothing illegal about their business. Yes, I realize that they will normally be the owners of those buildings or have contracts in place that allow renting out their apartment for short term.

And I get it that if you are renting yourself you canft sublet unless you have the authorization of your landlord. I also get it that some buildings may have restrictions imposed by their owners on short term rents.

But why is there this idea that all apartments on Airbnb violate the law while all apartments on the above page are perfectly legal ? Thatfs something I miss to understand.

Further annecdotal evidence: I stayed 3 months in an Airbnb close to Shibuya and no issue at all. I also rented two in Hokkaido and no issue. Both of them were actually guesthouses in their own right. One even with a restaurant. I canft think that that one was illegal. So the fact that an apartment is advertised on Airbnb canft be illegal (I think). The specific apartment YOU rent may be though. I personally would review the comments of previous guests, specially recent ones. Yes, I know, no guarantee, but you get a feeling for your host.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Airbnb OK now with new law? 2018/6/7 09:50
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

reply to this thread