Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 30

1 2
next

Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/21 05:09
Hi,

I am traveling from Tokyo to Koyto and I would like to know if Nagoya is worth a stop for 2 night? Or is it Osaka more interesting to visit after Koyto?

I love the japanse gardens and I love art.

by Patricia (guest)  

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/21 10:37
As the headquarter of Toyota, the Nagoya area is a great destination for those interested in the business/industry aspect of Japan. For art lovers, Nagoya Castle's newly reconstructed palace and the Tokugawa Museum are highly rated. But otherwise, Nagoya can be considered less interesting than Osaka in most aspects.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/21 10:42
It so much depends on what you are interested in. If I had 2 extra days, I would spend them in Kyoto, or spend them in Nara prefecture (not necessarily Nara city, but maybe the region around Asuka), or on Lake Biwa. But then, I am not interested in shopping and city life.

There is an interesting train museum in Nagoya though (although I heard that there is one in Kyoto as well, which I haven't visited).
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/21 11:10
While I find some things on paper interesting about Nagoya. I'd probably pick 50 different locations/sights/cities/town to visit first before Nagoya. I've never hit Nagoya in 4 weeks of combined travel for said reason.

If you need to ask others if a location./sight/city/town is worth a visit. Then you probably don't need to go there, as there isn't enough to pull you there in the first place.

by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/21 11:10
I stayed in Nagoya for 2 nights before, to visit Ise and Chita Penninsula.
I don't know what I would do in Nagoya itself.
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/21 11:22
I've stayed in Nagoya for 2 nights, it is not unpleasant but there are no big ticket items. I'd go on to Maibara and stay at Hikone.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/21 12:31
We spent half a day there when traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto. That was mostly to visit friends who live in Nagoya. We spent the afternoon exploring Nagoya castle, it was lovely. But I would look into it before commuting, the vibe in Nagoya is more government/business then most other major cities in japan.
by valdezja rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/21 13:40
It's an odd thing to say - but Nagoya is often ignored as a city compared to many other locations. It's mainly known for it's castle, chicken, train museum and being close to Toyota (I think).

I've traveled around Japan more than most and have only spent around half a day in Nagoya with no intention of visiting again. It really depends on what you want to see. Osaka has some different stuff and it's probably got a bit more to see, but that comes with more crowds.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/21 16:41
use them for matsumoto and japanese alps instead
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/21 18:18
Thanks for your advice!

I have one last question: I am doubting between 2 islands for a visit (and staying in okayama with the hotel)

1. Naoshima Island
2. Teshimi Island

I have the feeling the first one is a must see but very touristic (which I donft like) and second is quieter and les crowed and has a interesting small museum, is that correct?
I planned 2 full days for them, but maybe one day for both is enough. If that is so I rather save that day for alps.
by Patricia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/21 18:26
For art lovers, Nagoya Castle's newly reconstructed palace and the Tokugawa Museum are highly rated. But otherwise, Nagoya can be considered less interesting than Osaka in most aspects.

Tokugawa Art Museum and its adjacent gardens are excellent and well worth a visit. If you have extra days, Ifd spend them in Kyoto but maybe stop in Nagoya for the day on your way there. As for Nagoya being less interesting than Osaka, thatfs not possible - for some of us, Osaka is as uninteresting as it gets. Ifve never understood why people are keen to go there - itfs a commercial city (as is Nagoya) thatfs a bit like a mini-Tokyo but without Tokyofs attractions. In multiple trips to Japan, wefve spent one day in Osaka .... and that was only because we flew in to KIX late evening. If you really want to visit Osaka, do it as a day trip from Kyoto.
by tt7 (guest) rate this post as useful

Naoshima Island Teshimi Island 2019/4/21 18:48
have one last question: I am doubting between 2 islands for a visit (and staying in okayama with the hotel)

1. Naoshima Island
2. Teshimi Island

I have the feeling the first one is a must see but very touristic (which I donft like) and second is quieter and les crowed and has a interesting small museum, is that correct?
I planned 2 full days for them, but maybe one day for both is enough. If that is so I rather save that day for alps.

Naoshima Island Teshimi Island 2019/4/21 19:01
have one last question: I am doubting between 2 islands for a visit (and staying in okayama with the hotel)

1. Naoshima Island
2. Teshimi Island

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/21 21:08
Regarding the islands, both are nice and I wouldnft say they are overly touristic.

This year however there is the triennial art exhibition so there might be more people, but also more art.

The one that is least touristic is Inujima but also full of art.

The Teshima Art Museum is excellent although it has only one exhibit.

Naoshima has more museums and depending how many of those youfll want to see you easily need two full days on Naoshima alone.

For me (slow traveller ) it would be 1 day Teshima, 1 day Inujima and 2 days Naoshima. If you need to commute there I found Takamatsu a good port city which in itself also deserves a day.

The good thing about those 3 islands is that you can sightsee something different from temples and shrines :-)

To Nagoya, I have been 3 (!) times in Nagoya. Once 20 years ago when I saw the castle (nice but mainly rebuilt, there are better ones: Hikone, Himeiji, Bichu Takahashi) , once about 10 years ago where I visited the castle again (with a colleague for whom it was the first time in Japan) and once 2 years ago on a stone day traveling back from Ise to Tokyo when I went to the train museum.

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/10/day-37-ise-through-nago...

No plans to return, except maybe on a really rainy day that I need to spend between Kansas and Tokyo.

But a lot of plans for other sightseeing in Japan (just went to Miho museum yesterday , which was stunning.... already want to go back in autumn. )

Regarding Osaka I am with the fraction that thinks here is nothing interesting (writing this from my hotel in Osaka where I am now since 3 weeks - business). But everyone is different.

Enjoy your trip to Japan
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/21 21:09
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/21 21:34
Both islands are not that touristy compared to other locations in Japan, but I did visit during winter which may have significantly affected the number of visitors.

Naoshima has the most to do and I think it's probably worth staying the night to visit the main sites. Note that prices can eventually add up.

https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-2487
https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-2492

Teshima is much more rural and you really need to hire a bike to get around the island, but note that it's also quite hilly. There is only limited things to do on the island.

https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-2479

Inujima mentioned above is probably the easiest day trip from Okayama due to size, interest and completeability.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/22 00:14
I honestly believe the main reason Osaka is more popular than Nagoya is because it's near Kyoto and Nara. The cities are actually very similar in what they offer, and I'd say Nagoya even has a bit more variety. If Osaka and Nagoya switched places, I suspect a lot of people would be talking up Nagoya and saying skip Osaka in much the same way. Nagoya's location makes it a hard sell. More to the point, you said your interests in Nagoya were ART and GARDENS.

Nagoya has two strolling gardens: Shiratori Garden and the Tokugawaen. Shiratori Garden is quite nice. It's near Atsuta Shrine, which is a worthwhile stop as an important shrine (home to one of Japan's regalia). Tokugawaen is right next to the Tokugawa Museum, which as others have said also covers your art interests. Tsurumai Park isn't designated as a garden, but it is like a strolling garden so may be worth considering.

In terms of art, Nagoya really lost a great museum when the Nagoya/Boston Museum closed in 2018. The city has an art museum, but like most art museums, whether or not it's worth visiting depends on what's exhibiting when you visit, so you should look it up if you're interested. Tokyo and Kyoto are Japan's main art centers. They both have a variety of museums, both modern and traditional.

Someone above mentioned Hikone and that is a good alternative. Genkyuuen Garden is a decent strolling garden and of course the castle is great. From Nagoya you could also visit Inuyama which has Urakuen Garden along with its own original castle.
I know you said you are looking for travel between Tokyo and Kyoto, but if you have a Japan Rail Pass and are seriously interested in gardens, going beyond Kyoto to Okayama to visit Korakuen Garden, one of Japan's top 3 gardens would be a good idea.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/22 00:26
For your second question (now I see you're staying in Okayama, so definitely try to visit the garden while you are there).

1. Naoshima Island
2. Teshimi Island

Will you be going during the Art Triennale this year? If so, both islands may have crowds (try to avoid weekends), but you are correct that Teshima is less crowded than Naoshima.

Naoshima does have some of the most iconic sites and is typically recommended for those who can only visit one, but Teshima is excellent and based on what you say you are looking for is the better choice for you.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/22 01:14
Thank you all again for you advice!

Korakuen Garden is most definitely on the list. We want stay in Uno to make the trips to the islands as short as possible. Also the famous garden Kanazawa we will visit and from there slowly back through the alps to Tokyo/Narita airport.

We plan to stay 5 full days in Koyto so we are able to go to Nara too and spend maybe one day in the mountain area above the city or take a day trip to Osaka.

Re: Nagoya worth the visit? 2019/4/22 01:24
If you love gardens add Ritsuin in Takamatsu to your list. My daughter preferred it to Kenrokuen in Kanazawa when we went to both in June 2018. I've been to Korakuen and Kairakuen as well, I liked them both, Kairakuen shines the most during ume season and outside of that is pleasant but not as impressive as some other gardens.

And for your previous question, I would add the 2 days somewhere not Osaka or Nagoya. I think they're both OK, but I mostly go to both to shop and see people I know.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 30

1 2
next

reply to this thread