Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 10 of 233: Posts 181 - 200 of 4650
prev
1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 233
next

Inquiry 2006/12/1 03:47
Forgive me for jumping on the Yokohama Navy Exchange? Kind of location related though... My wife's trying to find info about her birth mother and/or the man who cared for her last name of Carpenter. She was born in Tokyo on 8/31/59 and lived @ 127 Takenomaru, Nakaku, Yokohama, until 1964 (no longer exist.) Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you - Jon.
by Jon Good rate this post as useful

Yokohama 1959 2006/12/1 05:25
Good luck John. Hope some one responds to your inquiry. I think you'll have better luck by being more proactive, checking some of the "Yokohama" web pages to find something in common with this area and date.
So much of the city has completely changed since '59, like my old neighborhood, the American footprint, etc.
You might try the schools, temples, etc., to see if anyone remembers the lady's home area...
by Eric rate this post as useful

Jon Good 2006/12/1 10:37
Jon,

You might get better responses if you put up a new thread just for your question, but why not try contacting the City Hall of Yokohama and see how they can help you?
http://www.city.yokohama.jp/en/
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thanks... 2006/12/1 23:55
Thx Eric and Uco - I know a unique issue. Was hoping someone might have info on 127 Takenomaru or Mr. Carpenter who lived there (don't have a first name). My wife's birth mother's name being Etsuko Inoue is rather difficult path since a very common name. But any info would be appreciated. Thx. Jon (I'll post a new thread)...
by Jon rate this post as useful

speaking from experience 2006/12/2 11:56
Jon, the reason I suggested contacting the City Hall is because since you clearly know her full name, birth date and complete address of where she lived, it would probably be easy to trace her "koseki" the official record that is supposed to tell all her history. You can try emailing, but they'll probably suggest you to contact again by phone or what not since it's more of a privacy issue.

Uco - again, thank you. 2006/12/5 00:27
Per your response, I sent an email to the Family Registry Section (Koseki-kakari) Tel: 224-8291 for the Naka Ward. BTW, I was mistaken. We only have the last names of her mom (Inoue) and we think dad (Carpenter). W/the koseki though, hopefully it will have more info. on it. Thx again. Jon
by Jon rate this post as useful

Eric, Uco are we done? Dec 8, 2006 2006/12/9 04:30
I guess we have exhausted ourselves ...Eric and I talking about locals as we remember them 50+ years ago and Uco trying to decipher what and where the heck we are writing about. I guess we all did rather well. It's amazing to me that after cruising cyperspace for 11 years that I never found the Yohidevils web site until reading this forum. This experience has really shook the limbs of the old memory tree and I appreciate you for helping me with this walk down memory lane. Eric, I look forward to hearing about your trip to Yokohama in 2007.
by Bill N. rate this post as useful

MSTS Ships for Eric 2006/12/9 04:53
Naw, I'm not done yet. Sorry. Ifound a picture of the Gen. Daniel Sultan that brought me to Japan. Here's the link http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/092212006.jpg . I found several web sites for other MSTS ships (Patrick, Randall, and OHara), but not many pictures as good as for the Sultan.

MSTS Ships ---NOT! 2006/12/9 05:00
Eric,
Sorry, the link I sent to you isn't a link. Egad! I'm glad the weekend is here.

MSTS Ship link 2006/12/9 05:02
Eric,
Here's the link that I meant to send you in the earlier post.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/22120.htm I hope it works.

Dec 8 2006/12/9 09:35
Searching memories will never be "done". God bless John Lennon.

John Lennon 2006/12/11 04:36
Uco,
What a sad end to a fruitful life for John Lennon. He certainly make a wonderful contribution to the world with his music.
by Bill N rate this post as useful

MSTS 2006/12/12 12:09
Hey, Bill:
Thanks for the ship web page. I took a look at some of the others, Gen M.M. Patrick, etc., that we sailed on in the 1950s.
I noted many of these old girls had gun mounts (not that they would have been very effective against anything) but it brought back a memory of our first crossing when the Korean War was still going on in 1951.
I seem to remember my mom and I being hustled out on deck in those giant orange life vests to hear guns being fired and someone asking if anyone had seen the North Korean submarine...
The vest I had was made for someone much bigger than me. If I had been piched into the drink, I would have probably bobbed up with my feet above my head; the vests being more for phychological effect.
Fast forward ten years to our last crossing in 1961; My dad was with us and we were going home to the States at last. We brought home our GS dog, Bonnie, who had to make the crossing in a kennel on the fantail. She was seasick every day.
My dad and I want back each morning to drag her out of her cage, wash her down and walk her around after a bowl of chow.
We stopped in Hawaii and boy did she ever want to get off that boat but couldn't because of quarantine regs. We sailed on to Oakland and bought a new 61 Buick station wagon. Dad, mom, dog and me and some of our carry on household stuff made the trip home to Iowa, which was a place I barely remembered, but where I was glad to be instead of Laos (where my dad was going to build a paper mill.) That was one Asia adventure we missed and, considering what happened in SE Asia a few years later, it was just as well.

RE: MSTS 2006/12/13 03:32
Eric,

Reading your account of being aboard ship reminded me of a few of my experiences first on the Sultan and then the Randall. Our little dog, Bootsie made both trips and was on the fantail of the ship with a whole bunch of other dogs. We were amazed that she never pooped in her cage, but always waited until she was walked. We did that several times a day. She was so glad to see us after her time in quarantine.
There was a merry-go-round on top of the Sultan that I use to ride. I had it all to myself for some reason. I guess everyone else was sick. I remember the Philipino man playing the chimes to come eat...seems like it was every 4 to 5 hours or less. The three kids in family who shared our table were always squabbling with each other and throwing olives at one another.
In 1954, we returned home by way of Pusan, S. Korea. The Randall had to pick up some troops who were coming home. I guess that is why I had to share a cabin with two guys my age because the larger cabins must have been reserved for officers. My parents and my sister were rather crowded in a very small cabin. Pusan looked like a tent city..we saw few structures...I guess all were destroyed. The slow trip down Puget Sound was quite memorable with the Olympia Mtns on one side of us. In Seattle, Dad bought a 1954 Ford Victoria Crestline (I think that was the name).
We briefly stayed at Ft. Lewis, WA until his orders were cut and then we drove to our family home in South Carolina. We later ended up in Greenville, NC.

I lived there too 2006/12/18 16:32
I lived on the east bluff over looking Motamachi st. the marine tower and habor for 2 yrs. then went to negishi hts for 4 yrs when they gave the bluffs back to the Japanese. I was there from 69 to 75 Atennded Byrd, Kinnick and Yohi Yokuska.
by Craig H. rate this post as useful

Hey Craig: 2006/12/19 00:58
Do you recall the last year of operation for YOHI/Yokohama? Someone said '70 or '71.
I attended 3-4-5-6 grades in this building. One side was for the little kids and the other was for the high school. There was a playground on the roof which was a neat feature.
Anyone know when the "Beach" building was built ? Was it pre-1945 ?

When was Nasgubu Beach school built? 2006/12/19 01:21
Eric,
I thought I saw an old picture of the beach school when it was camouflaged, which must mean the school was upgraded by the Army in 1946-47 when the dependent housing area was constructed. That picture is somewhere on the YoHi web pages. I have always assumed it was built by the Japaenese for their children. I don't know for sure.

When did YoHi Yokohama end? 2006/12/19 04:08
Eric,
I noticed on the Yohidevils website that 1971 was the last year for the old Beach School (Kinnick) and then the school was transferred to Yokosuka. Here's the link: http://egroup.yohidevils.net/Newsletter/Aug03/page2.html

YOHI history 2006/12/19 11:52
I remember a story going round that the building was an R&R/Hospital center for Japanese troops, thus the sunning area on the roof. I don't know if this is correct, however. Almost every building in Yokohama was destroyed by '45 so it would seem curious that this one survived. Too bad the YOHI web page doesn't mention how the building was built or by whom. Maybe someone else could shed some light ?

History "Beach" School Bldg 2006/12/19 22:13
Eric,
I asked the Yohidevil's webmaster if he could shed any light on this question. Here's the answer:
You ask a very interesting question, and I part of the answer. It was built about 1924 -- see school history on the website. There is speculation that it was used to house the American POW's during WW II -- but then the same theory has been expressed about the 'Marine Bks' at Yokosuka. It is also theorized that it was a Japanese School..... and other ideas. How it survived the bombings and fire is unknown. I know of no expert on that building and there has never been any research done as far as I know.

Jim

Page 10 of 233: Posts 181 - 200 of 4650
prev
1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 233
next

reply to this thread