Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 11 of 233: Posts 201 - 220 of 4650
prev
1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 233
next

finding history 2006/12/20 08:45
Bill, do you think the webmaster of YoHi has asked the current city hall? I'm sure there were locals who witnessed the construction of the building on topic.

Why not contact the city hall yourself and see what you can get.
http://www.city.yokohama.jp/en/

Or if you can be specific about the address you're talking about, maybe I can try to find a local history research group of the area. I would be interesting.
by Uco rate this post as useful

typo 2006/12/20 08:47
incorrect: I would be interesting.

correct: It would be interesting.
or
I would be interested.

Whatever.

Re: Finding History 2006/12/20 23:38
Uco,
Can you access and read the map located at http://www.city.yokohama.jp/me/naka/contents/english/map/midorie/pdf/06.pdf ?

The school Eric and I refer to as the Nasugbu Beach School and was later rename Kinnick was located on this map just off Honmoku-dori (our Ave D) and where you see a gray area and the word "wadayamaguchi". The school was located just below the bluff and along the road that leads up to the bluff (now a walking park) from Honmoku-dori. You can see the school pictures at www.yohidevils.net
by Bill N. rate this post as useful

contact 2006/12/21 12:31
Bill,

The location of your school is now part of Naka Ward. The ward serves one of the largest expat community in Yokohama and has an English website. Scroll down and click "Contact us" and you'll find an email format.
http://www.city.yokohama.jp/me/naka/contents/english/index.html

Let us know if you find out anything. Sankei-en survived the war and I wouldn't be surprised if your school was built before the occupation.

Re: Contact 2006/12/21 22:34
Uco,
Thanks for the great web site at http://www.city.yokohama.jp/me/naka/contents/english/index.html I'm surprised none of the maps showed the Mycal Honmoku shopping center and the walking park located on the bluff above. Maybe I didn't scroll far enough.
I will try and contact the people there to see what they know about the school. The www.yohidevils.net web master thinks the school was built in 1924 or thereabout.

Re: Maps 2006/12/23 22:14
Uco,
Hahaha on me. I found the exact map I had referred you to in an earlier post on the web site you provided. I simply had to go to and open another link and then viola! There was the old neighborhood with the Mycal Honmoku shopping center located below the bluff.
We are all about to celebrate Christmas and New Year holidays here. Hopefully peace will come to the world in our lifetime, but it is doubtful. How sad, too. So much good could be done with the money now spent on war. Such is the way of men.
Happy New Year to you in 2007 and may you be visited with only PLEASANT surprises!

Hey Eric 2006/12/25 18:35
YoHi Yokahama closed in 71. Man I miss all of my years there, and would like to go back for a visit. My sister and I went to the Yohi reunion in las vegas a few years back. It was fun people brought old maps from the 70's and lots of pictures.
by Craig H rate this post as useful

yohi and navy exchange 2006/12/27 10:27
Went to St. Joseph at Yamate, so I know where Yohi and the exchange were located. It was a place called KOMINATO. They had a bowling alley, movie theater, PX, and commissary. Used to have a huge BON ODORI at the baseball field there. And about a distance of a mile? from there was TOYLAND. I lived in Honmoku, which was about 5 minutes walk from the exchange.
by bobbie rate this post as useful

Hey bobbie 2006/12/29 16:17
I attended YIS for a couple of years...58, 59, I recall. We played St. J's in an annual soccer game.
Man, those Catholic kids knew how to kick!
Do you remember a German guy named Yajima?
by Eric rate this post as useful

Hello Eric 2006/12/30 13:51
The world is getting smaller, but I do not know any Yajima.
For me, it was the kickball and dodgeball. I could not see running around the field for soccer.
by Bobbie rate this post as useful

Mr. Yajima 2006/12/31 00:59
Mr. Yajima was born and raised in Germany, served in the German Army on the Russian front in WW II. He took the family name of a Japanese woman he married. He was a gymnist & math teacher at YIS, then moved to St. Joseph's. He had been a professional bicycle racer in Europe before the war. A very interesting guy with some amazing stories.
by Eric rate this post as useful

Coached at YoHi 2007/1/3 00:07
I was stationed at Kamiseya, Japan 67-69 and coached the JV football team at YoHi in fall of 1968. Have lost contact with everyone and know all is torn down now. Would like to get in touch with some former players who remember me and coach McCurly... and Sue Nathan.
by Barry Adams rate this post as useful

Yes, it was a great place to meet 2007/1/3 00:29
I was stationed at Kamiseya but lived in Yokohama and Coached the JV Football team in 1968... would very much like to hear from some of the players from that team or Sue Nathan, a good friend at the time. Anyway, the NEx at Yokohama had a lot to offer and I found it a great meeting place to begin trips and adventures. Barry Adams

Yokohama, YoHi 2007/1/3 00:45
I can't seem to find the website now for the YoHi yearbooks... Since I coached the JV Football Team there in fall of 1968 I wanted to look up some of the players and others who helped make the experience great. Where can I link with the yearbooks? Barry Adams... badamssan@comcast.net

Re: Yohidevils web site 2007/1/3 03:01
Barry,
The web site is http://www.yohidevils.net/
It's a great site to browse. Lots of memories there.
by Bill N rate this post as useful

Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2007/1/11 22:10
I was or still is on the Negishi base. If you are talking about the something more than 30/40 years ago, is was in Yamashita-cho near Yamate...

by Mike H. rate this post as useful

USAPPC 2007/1/14 03:49
Anyone work at the Army Printing & Publication Center-1967-69

I was a printer there & lived at Bayside Courts.
by Joe G. rate this post as useful

Lived Beside Fire-Engine Hill 1977-1979 2007/1/20 12:44
I lived In the lower level of Nagishi hts. In a duplex on the hill, beside fire engine hill. I was on the Yokohama Packers in 78-79?We were sponsored by the USS Lockwood, or team Was undefeated and we were Honored by the City of Yokohama and marched in the Parade as a team in our Uniforms and pads.The Head coach was Mr. Rainer s/p. He had a yellow 70-71 Camero with a flat-black hood. He helped my father John Cooper restore and paint a 67' Fastback Mustang in the Grands stands in the upper level. I spent many nights in the Grandstands as they worked on the Mustang.
I saw many movies at the old theater, "Earthquake," "Airport 77'" and the best Of all "Smokey and the Bandit!"
I really loved Japan.
I hung around a boy named Tom and his little brother that would say, "Im-budda-loom!" What ever that meant. Lol. I was a trouble maker at the old school. When ever there was an Earth Quake us kids would say it was Miss. Block the big Heavy Teacher.
Does any one remember when the two Japanese boys hit the bus stop at the bottom of Fire Engine Hill? They road down fire engine hill on a Ten speed and hit the wooden bus stop at the bottom. It looked like a car hit it. Splinters every where.
If you were on the Undefeated Yokohama Packers in 78-79 write me.
thecoopers@suddenlink.net
John Cooper
by John Cooper rate this post as useful

Re: Uco: Finding History 2007/1/26 07:21
On 12/20, Uco wrote: Bill, do you think the webmaster of YoHi has asked the current city hall? I'm sure there were locals who witnessed the construction of the building on topic.
Why not contact the city hall yourself and see what you can get.
http://www.city.yokohama.jp/en/

Or if you can be specific about the address you're talking about, maybe I can try to find a local history research group of the area. I would be interesting.
=======
Uco, I emailed the city of Yokohama several days ago at the web site you provided Hopefully, I will get a reply one day. I gave them my email address bjoepc@hotmail.com

Thanks Uco for suggesting the koseki. 2007/2/2 00:56
Uco: I requested the koseki around Jan 1. and just got on Jan 29. It's in kanji and katakana - a bit hard to read. I'm having some people look at it. Someone who reads katakana was able to determine ARTHUR WILLIAM CARPENTER. If anyone has any info on this gentleman, who lived at 127 Takenomaru in late 50's/early 60's would greatly be appreciated. Thanks again Uco - you were most helpful. Jon BTW, I've learned alot on this thread about yohi, the devils and growing up in Yokohama. God bless you all.
by Jon rate this post as useful

Page 11 of 233: Posts 201 - 220 of 4650
prev
1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 233
next

reply to this thread