Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 12 of 233: Posts 221 - 240 of 4652
prev
1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 233
next

Thanks for feedback 2007/2/2 12:58
Jon,

It's great to know that you were able to get some info. Old koseki is often difficult to let it make sense, but I think you can always ask for more details by contacting the koseki section again. If you're lucky, some interested workers will be glad to communicate with you to find out as much as they can.

Bill, I wish you good luck.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Yokohama Navy Exchange 2007/2/12 06:43
I was stationed at MSTS Far East Area from 1961-9163. My recollection is that the Navy Exchange was located in Yokohama in an area called "Area One" which was also the housing area.
by Bill Vogt rate this post as useful

Old places and new names 2007/2/13 01:49
I am finding this exchange between the old residents of the Yokohama Navy housing areas and Uko fascinating. I live in the current iteration of Negishi Naval housing and it's hard to believe there used to be so much more here that has been completely remade into modern Japanese neighborhoods and buildings. The houses in the current compounds must date from the era many of you were here because Negishi still feels like Mayberry (trapped in the '50s). I'd be glad to do some legwork to find the old locations you remember and take pictures of what is there now. I've had a great time finding places I recognize now on the maps everyone has mentioned and then trying to imagine what things must have looked like when you were all here as kids.
by NegishiNow rate this post as useful

Re: Negishinow 2007/2/13 05:15
Hey newcomer! You can see how the area use to look by access the web page www.yohidevils.net
and browsing through all the pictures and maps. Of course, if you have a slow dialup connection it might take you awhile. Browsing though all those pictures and the exchange of information on this Forum has really brought back some old memories. I was in Yokohama March 1953 through May 1954, and had just finished the 5th grade when I headed by to the states with my family.
by Bill N rate this post as useful

MSTS 2007/2/13 05:28
To Bill Vogt:
Saw that you worked for MSTS 1961-63. I was one of your regular customers. Between 1951-1961, we sailed back and forth on the Randall, both Patricks, the Mann and one other ship that escapes me at the monent. Each crossing was two weeks on the Pacific. Each left Seattle and arrived Yokohama, then Yokohama to Seattle. Our last trip home for the last time was into Oakland (with a 1 day stop in Honalulu) in 1961.
I remember hearing that one of the old MSTS ships had broken in half and had been welded back into one piece...
This could have been Army brat chatter, of course.

Regards,

Eric
by Eric rate this post as useful

Yokohama Stadium Approx 1940 2007/2/14 12:17
Hi Guys this is ann intriguing thread could you have a look at my 1940 question. Paehaps somebody was around just in those days.
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+32950

Many thanks
by JM-OZ rate this post as useful

To JM OZ 2007/2/16 01:22
A family friend who lived in Kamakura was in this camp, I believe. His name was Robert Lang, a Hungarian/American who made instructional films and film strips for schools. He married a Japanese lady and they lived in a very small house near the Buddha statue.
He said his job in the camp was to make shoes. He had never made shoes in his life prior to the war but survived by working with his hands for the duration. He died in the 1960s and is buried somewhere in Izu. I still have a collection of his letters from the early 1960s after we moved stateside. His son was a marine architect in the eastern US. I never could locate him.
My folks and I would drive over to Kamakura, bringing foodstuffs from the PX & Commissary for Bob and "Peanut," as he called her. They raised domestic rabbits which he would serve with plenty of Hungarian spices for all of us. My dad met him in rural Japan while both were out picture taking...
Bob Lang knew about the Japanese orphanages for the old folks who had lost sons in the war. They got no support from the Japanese government at that time and had no extended families to live with. Dad's Masonic Lodge and Shrine Club adopted one of these orphanages, providing food and charcoal to these "left behind" people.

A koseki update. 2007/2/16 02:10
Again sorry to add to this thread. Again a HUGE thank you to Uco.

A follow up to 02/02 entry: was able to get koseki translated. Inoue was not my wife's real mom's last name but her adopted moms name. Yoshiko Inoue married Arthur William Carpenter 01/24/56. They adopted my wife on 09/30/60. My wife was born to Emiko Yonetani (from the Kitagami Iwate area) and unknown dad. Born 08/31/59 in 3-76 Hagoromo-cho Naka-ku Yokohama. Yoshiko and Arthur were divorced 01/25/64 - custody of Donna given to Arthur before finally being adopted again in 12/64 to American couple.

Again thanks Uco for telling me about koseki. So much good info. - more than we had before. And again, if anyone has any other info on Arhtur, Yoshiko or Emiko would welcome whatever. Thanks again for letting me jump in on this thread w/my request. I have learned so much about Japanese/US history of Yokohama. God bless you all.
by Jon rate this post as useful

You're most welcome, Jon 2007/2/16 11:06
I myself talked to a koseki section staff once in search of an old relative, and found that they were quite aggresive and helpful. But I hope you're okay about revealing all your family record on the World Wide Web!

I've got a question 2007/3/19 22:37
I was in Yokohoma in the early 70's.My family lived in base housing,but it was different than I've heard described in these messages.There may have been 50 or 60 homes,overlooking a bay,I could also see Mt. Fuji on clear days.If I remember correctly there was a small BX and library on this housing area.It was surrounded by agriculture areas also.It seemed to me I had to ride the bus to school and the trip took 30 minutes.Does anyone know the location I am talking about?My e-mail is alan11764@bellsouth.net
by Alan James rate this post as useful

1970s Yokohama 2007/3/24 22:14
Alan:

We left Yokohama in 1961 when the American footprint was still quite large. I think that by the early 1970s, the Navy had closed Area 2 housing area and retained a part of Area 1, which is proably where you lived. The bus ride was probably to Yokosuka where the Navy moved Kinnick school after the original YOHI building was taken down. The PX/Commessary complex would disappear at about this time, too. Yokohama was an Army area until 58 or 59 when it was turned over to the Navy. All the street signs and buildings named for Army heros were taken down and renamed for Navy heros...

Arthur W. Carpenter 2007/3/25 20:50
Greeting

Today -25 March 07, I saw Arthur W. Carpenter at Negishi All Hand Club.
by Efrain Castro rate this post as useful

Arthur W. Carpenter 2007/3/25 21:35
Greeting

I fail to post my e-mail address. run10ksan@yahoo.com

I live at Nishi-takenomaru.

Efrain Castro
by Efrain Castro rate this post as useful

Eric: Traveling to Japan? 2007/3/31 01:18
Eric,
Is it a GO for your springtime trip to Japan?
by Bill N rate this post as useful

Uco: No response from Yokohama 2007/3/31 01:30
Uco,
I never received a reply from the city for my inquiry about the history of the school we all attended that was located in the Honmoku Beach area, below the bluff that is now a big walking park.
by Bill N. rate this post as useful

No osembe for me ! 2007/3/31 02:25
Bill:

Doesn't look like it.
Too many projects.
Regards,
E.

Too bad, Bill 2007/3/31 02:51
Bill, that's too bad. Maybe it was lost in the other emails. I often re-send inquiries when I'm ignored by big organizations. I might ask about the school next time I'm at a historical museum or something. Thanks for the feedback and take care.

Uco...you're up early! 2007/3/31 04:30
Uco,
I will send another email to Yokohama to see if someone might give me a lead towards history of the school. Of course, all the old folks are probably gone and the young folks are too busy to care. If you have time and remember the next time you are in position to inquire about the school, it will be appreciated. I think the school was built in 1924 or 1925.
by Bill N. rate this post as useful

Rick Bernard 2007/3/31 13:20
Rick, do you still read here? I knew you. We were in the same class at Nile C. Kinnick, and I have the yearbook from my last year there as a freshman. Your name didn't ring a bell, but I know you from your picture.
by Susan in Florida rate this post as useful

Susan in Fla. 2007/4/1 11:50
Yes, I still read this from time to time. What is your last name? I was known as Lefty when I went to Yo-Hi and played on the tennis team. I'll look for you when I find my old annuals.
by Rick Bernard rate this post as useful

Page 12 of 233: Posts 221 - 240 of 4652
prev
1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 233
next

reply to this thread