Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 123 of 233: Posts 2441 - 2460 of 4651
prev
1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... 233
next

Hot NYC 2010/7/8 01:18
Don't want to brag - but, it was 104 on our car thermometer at 3 in the afternoon yesterday. Today it's to be 5 degrees cooler - only 99!! And Peter's absolutely right - everyone: stay away for now - I know you're all dying to join us here, but resist the temptation. It's like an outdoor oven. We're headed back to the cool Berkshires tomorrow - and hopefully will be able to stay there until October.

Hope everyone's staying cool - especially Dave-san in the DC area.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Dave-san 2010/7/8 03:19
Steffi is right..your heat index is 105 and I read the heat advisory whch states in part..
The eldery....should drink..fluids..
so thats it !! the US government just gave Dave-san permission to get bombed..nice going Dave...oh I was taken down a peg..
seems like whiskey co-co's are a whimps drink at business power lunches....what me worry !!?? and its not drinking any more..its hydration....la de da...
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Beautiful Virginia Weather 2010/7/8 03:50
Steffi-san, Alexandria is cool today, only 99° so far. Probably cooler than NYC. Perfect weather for staying in and watching soccer.
Peter-san, be careful what you wish for. You don't want this beautiful hot weather in the middle of your nice cool New Hampshire winters.
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Kaoru 2010/7/9 00:37
I was out last night and saw a Japanese restaurant called shi-o. I thought shi was not only the number 4 but death ? I also know it means "salt". Sorry can't do the kanji here.
So, in any event, we did not go in, either way "death" or "death by salt" didn't seem correct. Thought it was very funny.
Want do you think ?

Shi-o 2010/7/9 01:43
Peter-san

I think that "Shi-o" of a Japanese restaurant is a meaning of the salt.

The death pronounces Shi-wo. The salt's Chinese character is "塩”.

It might eat Sashimi"刺身"and Tenpra"天ぷら" with not the soy sauce, we eat them a small amount of salt at the high-level Japanese restaurant. I ate Sushi "寿司" yesterday.
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Kaoru-san 2010/7/9 01:52
Thank you this makes me feel better. I looked at the menu at the restaurant. Japanese food in America in expensive. Chinese also. My wife Janets favorite is Thai especially the tom kar gi soup. And the Thai "iced tea".

Ten-tsuyu 2010/7/9 02:20
Hi all

I'm 34-year old guy living in Yokohama, loves Tempura specially. When we have Tempura at Japanese restaurants, usually surved with salt and Ten-tsuyu also. I want to tell you how Ten-tsuyu is great dip(sause?) for Tempura, but don't know how it's said in English. Maybe seasoning soy sauce or something like that. Some ideas?

Already spent about an hour reading your conversation, enjoyable.

Nori

by Nori (guest) rate this post as useful

Tom yan-kun 2010/7/9 02:21
Peter-san

I love Thai foods, too. As for Eric, the Tom-Yan-Kun soup is favorite. It is hot and and acidity soup.

by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Welcome Nori 2010/7/9 02:33
Nori-san You must read ALL of the posts !!
HAHA you will not be 34 when you are done.
My father and mother came to visit when I lived in Yokohama. He said that he wanted to find out about this "secret" Japanese spice used in food. It was called Agin-a-moto, [sorry for my spelling] Anyway we went to a food store to find this "special" spice..turned out to be MSG. [monosodium guletimate] he was disapointed..not that special, and maybe, not that good for health.

Ajino-moto 2010/7/9 02:50
Peter-san

Thank you for taking me on.
As you mentiond, it is sometimes said that Ajino-moto is not good for health. But I love it as a seasoning for especially Japanese pickles.

A friend of mine is a sales rep at that company.

Ajino moto 2010/7/9 06:05
MSG makes me sleepy and dopey..whats new ?

So Nori.what work do you do in Yokohama ?

Let me guess.. You work with Seaweed ?

Japanese restaurants 2010/7/9 06:39
In my Japan of the 1950s, EVERY Japanese restant had a small bottle of Kikkoman shoyu and a bottle of Aji-no-moto (MSG) on every table.
When we returned to the US in 1961, I really began to miss Kikkoman soy sauce on my food. The Chung King variety was just brown water, to my taste.
Finally, my dad got in touch with a friend in San Francisco and he mailed a large can of Kikkoman from an Asian grocery store via the US Post office. It was enough to last for several years...
When it arrived in our little home town, the postmaster wanted to know what was making the 'girgling' sound in the wooden box. When we opened it, he couldn't believe it.
Now, Kikkoman has a large soy sauce plant in Wisconsin.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Eric-san 2010/7/9 07:08
I take it the soy sauce was frementing..no ?
I recall that some of the mothers of the American kids were concerned that the cjildren were "addicted" to soy sauce, In that they were using more and more of it, and were complaining that were not getting enough. One lady said that she came into the kitchen and her son was drinking it straight from the bottle. Is this likely ?
Eric...do you think you were " addicted" to Kinkoman ? Use your own defination.

Kikkoman 2010/7/9 20:46
Like thousands of visitors to Japan, I had the "Kikkoman jones" when I left.
I don't think the company would have made the Wisconsin investment unless there were others with the same craving...

seaweed 2010/7/10 01:29
Yeah, in my childhood, like you said, my friends called me Nori-maki(のりまきseasoned rice rolled in laver).

Anyway, I work for a Heavy Industries company as a sales rep.

About soy sauce, it is considered that dipping it too much look absurd when you have sushi, sashimi.

seaweed crackers 2010/7/10 03:13
Whenever my son and his fiance visit us from Seattle, I put in a request for seaweed crackers from the Japanese grocery store. They seem to provide the same satisfying buzz as Kikkoman...
BTW; Where in Yokohama are you writing from?

Osembe 2010/7/10 03:30
Eric-san
If your referring to osembe ...
you might check out Aurura natural rice crackers. They taste just like osembe, but have a dash of "hot". Watvh your teeth, they are hard.
Also just a note.our Japanese friends may not know the "BTW" and other abbreviations.
I try and avoid slang. May make communication less complicated for them..and me ?
Enjoy the lake..we are going to a lake tomorrow..guess where ?
Your tomodachi Peter

osembe 2010/7/10 05:38
I thought "osembe" was a Japanese word covering all kinds of crackers.

Watch out for the stinging jellyfish on the lake water. They wear khaki uniforms...

Osembe 2010/7/10 12:12
OOpps you may be right. I assumed that the seaweed flavored with soy sauce little crunchy rice crackers about 5/8ths long were osembe..not all crackers..we need an expert to set us correct. Hhmmmm I wonder
who in the eastern hemisphere might know..
So..Kaoru-san and Nori-san. Are "osembe" all crackers or only the soy sauce ones ??

Jellyfish in fresh water ? thats only salt water no ? And whats with the camo? I think you need a cold towel. To many fumes from the twin 75ies.
by Eric-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Osenbei 2010/7/10 20:49
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 123 of 233: Posts 2441 - 2460 of 4651
prev
1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... 233
next

reply to this thread