Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 13 of 233: Posts 241 - 260 of 4651
prev
1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 233
next

Eric D. New email? 2007/4/2 07:07
Eric,
Have you changed your email address? I've sent you several messages, but no reply. I'm still at Bjoepc@hotmail.com

by Bill N. rate this post as useful

email 2007/4/2 23:08
Still emdavis@lakeozark.net.

My local server company, Dixie Cup and a String Brothers, has been down three or four times this month. The worst part is, emailers get no bounce message; the email just evaporates.
I'm still alive, still selling resids and on the road occasionally. My employer is getting a Blackberry for me, which will help resolve this.
We took down five large black oak trees behind our house this month after a big limb landed 16 inches from our roof overhang during the ice storm in January. I have been cutting these trees into big chunks that I can roll to the splitter. When I'm through, I'll have firewood for seven or eight years or the makings for 10 million pairs of gatas...

Eric
by Eric rate this post as useful

Re: Eric's email 2007/4/3 00:45
Eric,
Yup! That's the email address to which I've been sending messages. I thought perhaps your ISP had messages from hotmail blocked. I'll check my address book tonight to make sure there are no "ghost" characters in the address.

If Global Warming continues to make progress, you won't need any firewood.

Gatas 2007/4/3 02:40
With all this fine hardwood, I think I will explore the gata industry. Does anyone know if they are still sold in Japan? I also remember the really tall gatas worn during heavy rain days. The kids behind our house in Yokohama could run and catch a baeeball on these platform shoes...

Eric: Yohi Houston reunion web page 2007/4/16 21:53
Eric,
Here's the URL to the Houston area YoHi reunion for last year. It also has info related to this year's trip to Japan.
http://yohidevils.net/reunions/other/houston/hust06_01.htm

School in Japan 2007/4/19 22:29
I saw an email about this function. Sounds like fun.
Yokohama International School is also having an annual function at the school. I attended 4th and 5th grade at YIS.

can't find Negishi on Google Earth 2007/4/20 02:50
I used to live in yokohama mil housing from 69-71 or so, have many strong memories. We lived next door to the Arciagas from PI, at the bottom of a humongous hill, the kids would hike up the scrubs behind the housing to get to the top of the hill where it met the road, I can still remember walking out a block to the local businesses and buying candy & toys, the trolley track, and the PX. My mom taught cake decorating classes to the other moms. I went to Byrd for about 1 month and then got sent to Sancta Maria Intl School which must have closed down long ago, there is no trace of it on the web but I've got the yearbooks to prove it existed! I remember taking charcoal drawing classes from a kindly japanese gentleman (was special services near or at the racetrack?) and there was a woman who hand-painted YOUR face on a kokeshi doll, and greeting cards, my mom took oil painting lessons from her and we still have the not-bad oil portraits she did of our family. 360 Yen to the dollar, those were the days. We went everywhere, Expo 70 in Osaka, Kamakura, Mashiko, to Ikebana and art exhibits in Tokyo. I never learned Japanese but I feel completely at ease in the culture! We also lived for a short time in minami-rinkan near Atsugi NAS. Thanks for the blast from the past everyone!
by Julie rate this post as useful

I can see my house! 2007/4/20 03:05
I think...my memory of the geography in 1970 is clear, this is the only landscape that matches...Google Earth coords 35 25 16.63N 139 39 24.14E is where I think our duplex house used to be. It's now a school.
by Julie rate this post as useful

Re: Julie can see where house was 2007/4/20 04:02
Julie,
At least, where your house was located is now a school. I lived (1953-54)at #351 in Bayview where that area is now a walking park and the location of my house is now a public water closet. Smile Have you found the Byrd Ele school and the Grand Stands on maps.google.com ? They stand out rather well.

Hey, Julie ! 2007/4/20 22:27
The big hill you remember was probably the notorious Fire Station Hill at the south end of Area 2 Housing. I think there was also a nearby dorm for single Japanese ladies who worked as maids for the Americans on and off the base.
Have you visited the YO HI webpage?

Julie - YoHi web site 2007/4/20 23:55
Julie,
Rric made a good suggestion: You might enjoy browsing the YoHi web site at
http://www.yohidevils.net
with all its pictures of the areas where we lived and the schools attended, along with some of the yearbooks.

Eric - Geta shoes 2007/4/21 01:32
Eric,
I recently saw a web site for Japanese traditional clothing and shoes. There were several style getas displayed. All were made from light weight pauwlonia wood. Your wood might be too heavy. --grin--

gatas 2007/4/21 02:48
Darn ! A great business plan doomed by heavy wood.

Exchange 2007/4/21 04:10
The Navy Exchange in Yokohama was located across the street from the Police Station in Kominato. My wife (Japanese) and I used to live just across the street from the exchage which included a commissary, exchange and bowling alley. Near by was the Enlisted Club, normally referred to as the "EM Club". Everything is gone, except the wodnerful memories.
Jim
by Jim rate this post as useful

Kominato 2007/4/21 07:00
Jim

The Navy exchange place was near the Yamate police as your saying. The EM club is in Yokosuka. It was a S
easide club in Kominato.

T
by Tipo rate this post as useful

police station 2007/4/21 07:28
One of the young policemen at this station became one of our family's best friends in Japan. His family name was Sase. His son reported that he had passed away just last year. Sase-san rescued me from a hundred scrapes in the years we lived in Yokohama, 1951-1961.

YoHi Alumni 2007/5/5 02:02
Hi all, While trying to find where I actually lived in Yokohama I came acros this site.
I lived in Yokohama from 66 to 69 lived at 521 Skyline Dr in Negishi Hts.
Had a wonderful time while I was there.
Thanks for all the memories!!
by C Gill rate this post as useful

Hi C Gill 2007/5/5 02:52
I lived at #351 in Area 2, circa 1953-54. Later, I believe the bluff where I lived was renamed Bayview. That area has been converted to Honmoku Sancho Park and where my house was located is now a rest area and water closet. --smile--
Have you browsed the Yohidevils website at http://www.yohidevils.net?
The web site has been around since 1996, but I only found it this year. I was a kid while living there and in the 4th and 5th grades at the Nasugbu Beach school, which later was called Nile C. Kinnick.

Gill's Negishi Heights House 2007/5/5 03:10
Hey there!
I found your house by first looking at the old housing map on the yohidevils web page and then found it using http://www.maps.google. Your Dad must have been Commander or Captain to live in such a posh locale!

Wrong link to google 2007/5/5 03:42
Sorry, the correct link to google maps is:
http://maps.google.com

Page 13 of 233: Posts 241 - 260 of 4651
prev
1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 233
next

reply to this thread