Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 135 of 233: Posts 2681 - 2700 of 4651
prev
1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 ... 233
next

whoops 2010/11/9 02:47
Procurement, not Producement...
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Hikawa Maru 2010/11/16 14:08
This is a famous ship that is permanently birthed in Yokohama. I've found three links on this ship that I want to share.
1. The museum:
http://www.nyk.com/rekishi/e/index.htm
2. General information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikawa_Maru
3. The ship's log. Of particular interest is the wartime voyages when it was a hospital ship and not subject to attack and the refugee voyages immediately prior to the war:
http://www.combinedfleet.com/Hikawa_t.htm
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Maru 2010/11/17 00:03
Thanks Dave..The log is very interesting.
Steffi..You might be interested in The Aug 30th 1940 entry and the one after that.
This was one lucky boat to make it through all of this. I wish I had gone aboard her when I was there.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Hikawa Maru 2010/11/17 11:44
I went aboard the Hikawa Maru many times during the times I lived in Yokohama (1980's).
It was always so fascinating to me. I imagined what had happened on the ship in the past. From the pictures in the above-noted links, the renovation/restoration that was done just a very years ago was very extensive. The ship wasn't nearly as nice when I visited it. I would LOVE to visit again!
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Hikawa Maru & belated thank yous 2010/11/17 18:10
Dave-san thank you for posting information about the Hikawa Maru. Though Yokohama has changed, I think I could find the Yamashita Park area. Especially interesting to me was the Hikawa Maru's ship log. And the postwar repatriation of six million Japanese is particularly interesting when juxtaposed with the Nazi's extermination of six million Jews.

Belated thank yous to Steffi for the link (on forum page 134) to wolframalpha.com (the "phenomenal website . . . programmed to answer all kinds of questions") -- worth visiting and great fun for information junkies.

Thanks also to Kaoru for the link (on forum page 134) to 442film.com -- interesting information there and on Wikipedia about the World War II Japanese-American 442 Infantry Regiment -- a remarkable World War II story.
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Hikawa Maru 2010/11/17 23:55
Hello, Barbara-san

Hikawa]Maru is near my house.

My cousin was a manager of the party hall in Hikawa Maru. He is a tour conductor now. I am glad for you have understanding about 442nd. They loved your country very much.
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Interesting 2010/11/18 01:34
I saw in the Japan times that our President Obama, "re"-visited Kamakura and the daibutsu, on the end of his recient asian trip. According to the article that he was previously there when he was 6 years old with his mother. Interesting, I didn't think the family had the where with all to travel to Japan, which can be expensive. I didn't know that.

Thanksgiving 2010/11/23 13:58
May everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving! We have 6 inches of snow in my area of Western Washington state. Perhaps many of heard about it in the news. A lot of snow for our area and very early, too.

Dreaming of A White Thanksgiving 2010/11/23 16:29
Six inches of snow? Sorry to hear that Lori. The only snow I remember at Thanksgiving was in Western Pennsylvania over fifty years ago when I was still young enough to enjoy snow and before I learned that you-uns wasn't correct English in the rest of the US. It will be in the 60s here in beautiful Virginia, the result of global warming no doubt (or maybe the hot air generated in DC).
To all my Yokohama Navy Exchange friends, I hope y'all have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving.
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Happy Thanksgiving 2010/11/24 07:45
I add my wishes for a happy Thanksgiving for everyone here. I hope we all have many things to be grateful for, including our individual experiences in Japan, hopefully our good health, and the richness of our individual lives.

Weather here in NYC has been balmy, in the mid-fifties, though I think it's cooler today. All our leaves are finally down, and the leaf blowers are making a racket - yes, we actually do have many trees here in NY.

Dave-san - I have not yet had the chance to look at the websites you posted, about the boat in Yokohama harbor - but thanks for posting it.

Barbara-san - thanks for your many interesting book suggestions. The following is both a movie and a book - in case you haven't seen/read it - it's terrific: "Mao's Last Dancer", by Li Cunxin, a true story about a young dancer from Beijing, who came as the first exchange student EVER from China - to Texas, of all places. Don't want to give too much of the story away, but it mentions Nixon, who made his famous visit to China in 1972, while this young man was still a little boy,and the Bushes, and Houston. A lively and thrilling read. I recommend the book first, then the movie, which came out this past summer and perhaps isn't on DVD yet. By the way, guys, you don't have to enjoy dance to enjoy the story.

Anyway, all my best to everyone.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Happy Thanksgiving 2010/11/24 09:48
It is raining, cold, and windy in Northern California with temperatures as low as thirty degrees tonight and deep, deep snow in the nearby Sierra Mountains -- a good time to snuggle up by the fireplace while the turkey roasts in the oven. In addition to having lived in Japan, there's much to be thankful for, and that includes all of you here who bring memories alive on the Japan-Guide forum: Dave-san, Eric, Kaoru, Lori, Peter, Steffi, and Wally; also Joe G., Michael, Sr. Catherine, Tampa Marine, and others whose names I may have overlooked. Dave-san, you made me smile mentioning the Pennsylvania expression "you-uns," having now moved on to "y'all"! You-uns always sounded odd to my ears, and although I had forgotten about that expression, your mentioning it triggered memories of my summers spent with relatives who used it in Central Pennsylvania. Kaoru, does Japan have a day similar to the American Thanksgiving, a day set aside to remember and be grateful for life's blessings? To everyone here on the forum, my best wishes for a Thanksgiving filled with good food and good company. What is your favorite food for Thanksgiving dinner?

My favorite 2010/11/24 14:01
CLAM DIP

-one can geisha whole clams,drained
-one 16oz sour cream
-aprox 6 oz cream cheese
-garlic to taste..one clove
-teaspoon Kinkkoman soy sauce
-pepper to taste.
Blend sour cream and cream cheese
add the rest of the stuff
chill, serve
check your cholesterol
-this is a secret receipt known only to me.ooopps now..
[and the 1 billion people on the internet]
Happy Thanksgiving
still mild in NH, no snow yet, personally I hope for 2-3 inches in March and be all done with it.
My fondest regards to all on JP guide..
My little thanks..that JP Guide has let us carry on all of this user generated content,
much of which is totally unrelated to where that Exchange was..
Thank You Japan Guide.com..we love you admin..

Thanksgiving Day 2010/11/24 14:05
Thanks Barbara san;

Today's Yokohama is fine weather. The temperature is 55F though it is 2 o'clock of daytime now. My wife bought turkey yesterday. And, we ate Sushi. I drank the sparking wine of California. It is my favorite.
Japan is a country of the Buddhism, the Thanksgiving is hardly celebrated. My family is Christian, we enjoyed small party.

Korea is dangerous. The 7th fleet is near Okinawa. We are gazing at them. I'm sorry my computer is in a slump. I do the posting again.

Mao's Last Dancer 2010/11/24 15:15
Steffi, thank you for recommending Li Cunxin's Mao's Last Dancer. Our ilibrary has the book; there are three holds on it, but that's okay because I won't be ready to read it until after the holidays. All eight reviews at Amazon.com are positive. You have probably read Pearl Buck's The Good Earth, a 1932 Pulitzer Prize winner, also made into a movie, but if you or anyone else hasn't read it, I think you would enjoy it -- check out the 399 reviews on Amazon! Again, thanks, Steffi, for recommending a book that I hadn't yet heard about.

You-uns 2010/11/24 15:25
Dave-san, here's more info:

From Urban Dictionary: You-uns - A term used in southern and central Appalachia and adjacent areas to address a group of people. Is pronounced a number of ways varying from you'uns and yuns in rural Appalachia to yins in the Pittsburgh area. Supposedly originated from the phrase "you ones" used by Scots-Irish immigrants.
You'uns gonna be round for supper?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=you'uns

See also:
we-uns
you's, youse (New York, Australian; slang)
you guys (US, slang)
yins (Pennsylvania, colloquial)
yfall (southern US; colloquial)

Google you-uns for much more. Are you familiar with "yins"? New to me!

Books and food 2010/11/25 00:44
You're very welcome, Barbara. I should add that what's amazing about the book, aside from Li's personal story of amazing accomplishment, is the graphic picture it presents of what it is like to grow up and live in a totalitarian state like China. How it molds thinking, limits and abuses and lies to its population, while at the same time engendering great respect, love, almost total adoration for the state from almost everyone - ironic, and a stark contrast to our own experience, where we take for granted our freedoms.

Another thing to be grateful for - where and how we are privileged to live here in the various parts of this beautiful country.

Recipe - this is a tasty and easy way to lighten up a Thanksgiving dinner - it's easy enough, so you can still make it for tomorrow.

Orange Cranberry Relish Mold (or forget the mold, and just put it in a bowl)

1 package (3 oz.) orange flavored gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup orange juice
2 oranges, cut up into small pieces
1 can (1 lb) whole cranberry sauce
1/2 cupt chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped nuts, preferably walnuts.

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add orange juice. Chill until the consistency of unbeaten egg white (I do this in the freezer). Add orange pieces, cranberry sauce, celery and nuts to gelatin mixture. Stir to mix ingredients evenly.

Turn into a one-quart mold (or bowl). Chill until firm and serve with meal.

Enjoy!

by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Peter-san 2010/11/25 09:08
I see that you use Kinkkoman soy sauce in your clam dip. I always thought you were a little kinky, and now I know why.
Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else at this Forum.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

American TV dramas 2010/11/25 10:27
I enjoyed these dramas. Please click the link of Japanese. From 1960s to about 70s.

http://www.kcat.zaq.ne.jp/maetoshi/tanabe/tvprga/tvprog.htm

TV memories 2010/11/26 06:23
Thank you Kaoru for the link. Many of those TV shows I remember; some of them I watched, some of them my dad watched and some of them I was only aware of them but didn't watch them.

TV shows 2010/11/26 10:16
I remember watching weekly TV shows on NHK in the 1950s, dubbed in Japanese. Once in a great while, the network would carry an English language movie and the film would be everyone's discussion subject for the following week.
Only one American TV show was not (or perhaps could not be) dubbed. That was the Perry Como show on Sunday at 6PM. Everything stopped for old Perry and his songs. The programs were about three weeks late. My dad said they must've ship them over by MSTS...
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 135 of 233: Posts 2681 - 2700 of 4651
prev
1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 ... 233
next

reply to this thread