Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 167 of 233: Posts 3321 - 3340 of 4655
prev
1 ... 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... 233
next

I felt the Haiku urge and followed thru... 2012/8/21 13:06
Autumn lies waiting
For the opportunity
To show rare colors.

Autumn lies waiting
For the opportunity
To ripen pumpkins.

Autumn lies waiting
For the coming holiday....
Spooky Halloween!

Does anyone else have any other "opportunities" for an Autumn activity?
:)
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Public bath in Urayasu Yokouska 2012/9/4 22:04
This link is pictures of Japanese Public bath in Urayasu, Yokosuka city. The price of bathing is 450 yen. There are few public baths now. This was started about 80 years ago.

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/hagemarupika/e/b70e97ecc14e1e71437f3cbdc3680b95

by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

public bath house... 2012/9/7 21:59
Thank you, Kauru, for posting. I tried reading the English translation, but it was hard to decipher.

I remember going to a public bathhouse - but this was in Karuizawa. I remember it as being really huge, with fairly deep water (to a 5-7 year old) so that you were mostly submerged, water hot,lots of people, and I thought it was for men and women, but I don't remember the specifics of the dress code - I don't remember wearing anything. It was tiled in shiny porceline, and a real treat.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Sannotani bath house 2012/9/8 04:28
I noticed my neighborhood friends would walk by our house still steaming from the neighborhood bath house in the evening. This was intriguing to me and I pestered my folks to take me and finally, my dad agreed.
"Look down and don't stare," were my dad's basic instructions.
I happened to see a buddy from two houses behind our place and this brought about a splashing war that nearly brought the house down. Fortunately, the bath house owners didn't kick us out. They just rolled their eyes and shrugged, "gaijin..."

by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Bathhouse 2012/9/8 04:39
There was a nice big bathhouse near Kishine Barracks that I went to a few times. It was really cheap, I'm thinking 80 yen. When you went to pay admission, if you fumbled with your change long enough you could see over into the women's side, not that I looked or anything. I bet this bathhouse is still there, because it was a real old one, nice old architecture.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/9/8 04:44
Hello, Steffi-san

You are welcome, Explanation of the public bath of Yokosuka is somewhat difficult.
The public bath decreased very much in recent years. You had precious experience by Karuizawa. Eric-san and his father took the public bath of Sannotani, Honmoku.
I went to there with my parents at the time of kid, too. Beautiful big Mt. Fuji was drawn the wall. Japanese people were often drinking milk after bathing.

Kaoru

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/9/8 12:21
I never took a bath the whole time I was in Japan. Maybe that was why I wasn't well liked..ya think ?
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Baths 2012/9/9 09:43
The only public bath I went to was in Atami.
We did, however, have a pvt., individual bath at Bayside Courts. The bath was administered by a masseuse. $2.50 in 1968. Obviously, it was always busy. lol
by Joe G. (guest) rate this post as useful

on another note... 2012/9/11 08:04
Worrisome article.......I don't like heat...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The first eight months of 2012 have been the warmest of any year on record in the contiguous United States, and this has been the third-hottest summer since record-keeping began in 1895, the U.S.

National Climate Data Center said on Monday.
Each of the last 15 months has seen above-average temperatures, something that has never happened before in the 117 years of the U.S. record, said Jake Crouch, a climate scientist at the data center.

Winter, spring and summer 2012 have all been among the top-five hottest for their respective seasons, Crouch said by telephone, and that too is unique in the U.S. record. There has never been a warmer September-through-August period than in 2011-2012, he said.

"We're now, in terms of statistics, in unprecedented territory for how long this warm spell has continued in the contiguous U.S.," Crouch said.

He did not specify that human-spurred climate change was the cause of the record heat. However, this kind of warmth is typical of what other climate scientists, including those at the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, have suggested would be more likely in a world that is heating up due in part to human activities.

Alyson Kenward of the non-profit research and journalism organization Climate Central said in a statement, "Extreme heat is closely tied to climate change, and this summer's heat wave left a global warming signature in the data, particularly in the ratio of record high to record low temperatures."

Normally, the number of record highs and record lows would balance out, with an average ratio of one to one. This year, 25 states have had high to low temperature ratios of 10 to one or greater; 14 have had a ratio greater than 20 to one; and three have had greater than 40 to one ratios, Climate Central said.

Ohio topped this list with 49 record high temperatures for every record low.

DROUGHT PERVADES U.S. MIDSECTION
Last month was only the 16th warmest August on record, though still hotter than average, according to the climate data center, which is part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

June was also warmer than average, while July broke the all-time heat record, the data center scientists said in a statement.

It was a dry summer: as of August 28, nearly 63 percent of the Lower 48 U.S. states were experiencing drought. Still, precipitation overall was near the long-term average, with the Southwest and Southeast wetter than average and the Northwest and Northern plains drier.

The Midwest has suffered the most extreme heat, according to Climate Central, which crunches the U.S. government's weather and climate numbers.Wisconsin, Iowa and Missouri ranked first, second and third, respectively, in terms of extreme heat in 2012, Climate Central said, followed by Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, Illinois and Ohio. Two states outside the Midwest - Colorado and Arkansas - rounded out the top 10.

Outside the Lower 48, the U.S. National Snow and Ice Data Center has already reported that Arctic sea ice has shrunk to a record small size, and the melting season is not over yet. The Arctic is sometimes characterized as the world's air conditioner.

As of September 5, the ice on the Arctic Ocean was less than 1.54 million square miles (4 million square km), a 45 percent reduction compared to September conditions in the 1980s and 1990s.

by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Steffi 2012/9/13 07:03
It reminds me of the summer of 1954, when it was 112 in the shade. I tried to raise a garden that summer, and all that would grow was radishes!

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/9/21 03:00
I visited the public bath in Zushi several times (early 1960s). There were separate sides for men and women. The other women sneaked glances at me (despite the "official" story that no one looks), probably making sure I was soaping up and rinsing off correctly before entering the water. I don't remember the price but it certainly was not expensive.
by wata geiru rate this post as useful

Peter-san 2012/9/24 22:27
Are you sure you never bathed in Japan, you told me you were always in "hot water!"

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/9/25 04:59
Hey...!!
I thought the japanese people at the local bath would like the box of bubble bath I put into that big hot tub...

I am just underappreciated I guess...
hmmm there is a haiku there.

Ricksha Room 2012/9/25 07:11
When I was in Japan, every place I would go in I would pick up a matchbox or matchbook, take the matches out and throw it in my dufflebag. Several months ago we were talking about the Ricksha Room, and the other day I was unpacking a box and found a matchbook from the Ricksha Room. It is black with gold and white printing on it. On the front it says, Ricksha Room, Honmoku Yokohama with a picture of a ricksha, and on the back it says, Finest Foods, Cocktails, We Never Close, Free Delivery, and the telephone number. I called that number and ordered delivery, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Ricksha 2012/9/25 10:16
Konnchiwa, Wally-san

This restaurant moved out and refurbished,
I had forgotten in when it was,1990S?

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/hagemarupika/e/a47e32f8c03c5648caf0325812279db7

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/9/25 11:59
Wally...
Your order just arrived at MY house you gave them the wrong address....!!
not the first time you got lost eh ?
Bakka mono
soups not bad...what do i do with the delivery girl ?? I think she is looking for a tip...

Hey Gailsan 2012/9/28 00:40
If Gailsan from earlier this year is still looking in at JG, gimme a shout.
by Eric Davis (guest) rate this post as useful

Andy Williams R.I.P. 2012/9/28 07:10
The singer Andy Williams just died at the age of 84 in Branson, Missouri, which is near where I live in the Ozarks. He owned the Moon River theater in Branson. When I was in Yokohama his program was on Japanese television every Sunday afternoon, and was very popular with the Japanese people, especially young women. Our Japanese secretary in the Chief Nurse's office was a big fan of his. In 1967 Andy, his wife Claudine Longett, and Henry Mancini came to our post and put on a show in the movie theater which lasted over an hour, and was the best show we ever had. The Chief Nurse, Colonel Geis, knew what time they were arriving, and she told me to take our secretary down to meet him. So I took her down to the front of the headquarters building, and Williams et al pulled up in our VIP wagon, an old black Buick with big tail fins, and when Williams got out of the back seat, our secretary took off running, she was to shy to shake his hand.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/9/29 09:53
One ofJanets little wishes was to see Andy Williams's Christmas show in Branson. I guess thats not to be. Thanks Wally for the funny story. I can still see Kishine as if it was yesterday. I should have spent more time off visiting with the guys there. I guess I couldn't handle the carnage.

Peter-san 2012/9/30 05:23
Yeah, I know what you mean. You spend the morning taking care of some guys that have big pieces of their skulls missing and you can see their brains, and then you go have pizza for lunch. You wouldn't think you could do that, but you can, you get used to it after a while. Sitting in a classroom at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, and watching combat medic training films was worse than dealing with the real thing on a first-hand basis. Come on down, I'll take you to Branson. The most popular act in Branson is a guy from Japan named Shoji Tabuchi, along with his wife and daughter. My ex-wife and I used to see him at the Farmer's Daughter in San Antonio when he first got off the boat, but he's made it real big in Branson, with his own theater and all, and is a multi-millionaire. He and Mel Tillis are big fishing buddies. Tillis used to say that he quit going fishing with Shoji, because he kept eating all the bait.

Page 167 of 233: Posts 3321 - 3340 of 4655
prev
1 ... 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... 233
next

reply to this thread