Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 32 of 32
prev
1 2

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/4/2 14:55
My wife have medium size dragon tatto, and we never have any problems at around 15 ryokan with onsen we have been to.
by aivanov3 rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/4/4 11:53
Gaijin should not simply say to gaijin it is no problem on this matter.

As a gaijin who has been to dozens of onsen, many times with other gaijin/Japanese with tattoos, I would agree that it is too simplistic to say it won't be a problem. However, my advice stands that it PROBABLY won't be a problem, but go in keeping in mind that you may be asked to leave.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/4/7 00:52
Usually obvious foreigners don't have problems, especially if you're polite enough to ask beforehand whether or not you can show your tattoos in the bath. The Japanese know that tattoos have become a fashion statement abroad and a lot of places will be accepting of them provided they aren't vulgar.

If it's a small tattoo and you don't want to risk being turned away, try purchasing a bandage to cover it up. You can also ask at the onsen whether or not a bandage would help the situation if you've been told you cannot enter with your tattoos.

If all signs point to "no" as far as entrance goes, then you'll have to try someplace else or give up for the night. Checking in advance can be a good way to avoid a surplus of tries, but going in person can also help prove that you really are just a foreign guy with a little tattoo.
by Amai Umeboshi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2015/1/15 07:28
Tattoo friendly establishments

Asakusa (Tokyo): Aquaplace

Address: Asakusa 5-10-10 (if you look up the address on google maps street view, they show you a picture of the place behind the building, so it isn`t to helpful)

Nearest station:

Iriya station (10 min walk)
JR Uguisudani station (15 min walk)
Asakusa station (25 min walk)

Business hours: 1 pm to 1 am (closed on Tuesday)

Koyasu (near Yokohama station): Washinoyu

address: nanashimacho 151

business hours: 11 am to 12:30 pm

Nearest station:

Koyasu Station (10 min walk)
Shin Koyasu Station (20 min walk)

washinoyu@(dot) com

google search washinoyu
by Tattoo friendly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2015/1/16 14:27

I was in Takayama last week, in our onsen, a young woman with a small tattoo on her nape and wrist ( swallow and thorns tattoo) was refused. I felt bad coz there were only a handful of us in the onsen, but still she was not allowed. so it is true, a tattoo is a tattoo.
by Petal (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2015/1/16 17:10
My partner and I, who both have large tattoos have been to many onsens around the old snow villages in both Hokkaido and Honshu. We have never had a problem & never been asked to leave. No one really inspects your naked body in the steamy Ibsen area and its rude to stare so i wouldnt know if locals using the onsen dissapprove if they see them. We look like obvious tourists and are quiet/ polite/respectful so its a non-issue from my experience. I love onsens & it's a rich cultural, traditional experience in Japan. I've never been to one in Tokyo however so it may be different there.
by Steph (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2015/3/23 06:11
To Mr.Bolo do you have a list of the onsen you have been.
by deanssammy rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2015/3/24 09:54
I do not have any Tattoos but depending on where your Tattoo is and how big it is you might be getting away with just trying not to show it. I think the rule as it is now is pretty stupid, they are obviously just trying to keep Yakuza out but as far as I know, Yakuza probably do not care and the staff would probably not approach them and ask them to leave. So maybe this problem only affects foreigners? I don't know, I am just making a guess.

That being said, I have seen Onsen where it explicitely said "No Tattoos", yet the old and young Yakuza guys with fully tattooed back would just come and go as they please. I have been to the same establishment many times and I have seen them 3 out of 4 times I went there.
by Jarod (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2015/3/24 15:32
If you're worried, pre-empt the issue by covering any tattoos with plasters/elastoplast (buy large plasters if your tattoos are large). I know people here that do that, and have never had a problem.
by junkymotown (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2015/3/24 16:55
Jarod,

Your guess is a bit off. This "no tattoo please" came up as a way to keep yakuza out, rather a round-about way to refuse the yakuza from entering. Member of "yakuza" or organized crime syndicates sometimes use their tattoo to intimidate people and act blatantly rude in public places, that they want to keep them out. The rules/laws have not foreseen that a day would come when many people wear tattoos as fashion.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2015/3/25 10:44
simple thing to do is ask before entering the establishment. No matter what the reason is (hiding a tattoo or size), the answer will be yes or no. Respect the company and search for another location . I have a lot of tattoos from upper to lower part of my body, Japanese will often sometimes mistaken me as being affiliated with Yakuza. I'm also visiting Japan this coming may and I'd really want to experience an onsen and will be asking around Okayama. I respect the country and the people.

Aloha,
Mike
by magicmike74 rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2015/3/29 09:04
I have a friend, white, who is heavily tattooed whenever he and his wife, Japanese, visited an onsen they had to request private rooms which may not be offered everywhere.
by travis (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 32 of 32
prev
1 2

reply to this thread