Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 22 of 22
prev
1 2

My 2 cents. 2009/1/11 19:41
I too have long hair and prefer hiding behind them because of my facial features, so I fully understand what Vibri means.

For the record, I don't completely cover my face like that chick from Ju-on. But the sides of my face are mostly hidden.

Yes, it's a confidence thing (for me, at least). When I visited Tokyo last month, I did get some weird stares / looks but I guess that was mostly due to my skin complexion. Didn't have any problems at customs either, even though the photo in my passport was an old one with me having short hair. Didn't even have to tie my hair!

I think the whole issue with men having long hair is a global one, not just a Japanese one. People just tend to have perceptions that are usually negative about long haired men, partly because the world today is run by uptight corporate fat-cats who have an annoying tendency to generalise everything. And partly due to the fact that some long haired men like to do bad stuff.

Coming from an entertainment/engineering background, where length of hair and dressing was a non-issue, I know I'm in for a tough time, as I intend on becoming an English instructor very soon and my long, black hair is definitely going to be the cause of some form of contention.

And I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't just be Japan, but almost anywhere in the world.

But with that being said, Junichiro Koizumi has a fierce hair-do and he was once Prime Minister of Japan!

So... meh.
by staticitch rate this post as useful

Long Hair 2009/1/16 19:15
I've got really , really long red hair and to be honest it seems to absolutely fascinate the wonderful people who i've met in Japan over the last few years .

Like all countries,
including my own there are a narrow minded minority who will discriminate against you because of your appearance , but just ignore them and enjoy yourself .

by red faction rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 22 of 22
prev
1 2

reply to this thread