Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 41
prev
1 2 3
next

some extra help 2004/12/31 03:15
Hello.

I am currently living in Japan, from the UK.

Before you come to Japan, go to the post office with £6.50 and a passport photo and get an international driver licence. You pick one up the same day, there is no waiting needed.

The international driver licence is only valid for 1 year, and after that you will be driving illegally.
Any time within that year you can get a Japanese driver licence

The process is quite simple for British people, not so easy for our American friends.

An American has to take the FULL test, which includes the actual driving test, a written test, an eye test and a 40 minute lecture. Expensive. This is the case because America has many states, each with their own (albeit similar) driving laws.

The process for a British licence holder is a lot simpler. UK, and Japan drive on the same side of the road also.

This is what you have to do.

You must take your UK licence, passport, alien registration card (gaijin card) and 3000 yen (£15) to the any (your local) JAF (Japan Automobile Federation) (The Japanese AA, or RAC) and while you wait (about a hour) while they translate your UK licence to Japanese.

You will walk out thinking “What ! 3000 yen, for just one sheet of A4 paper!”

Next you take that paper to the Japanese test centre. Again with your UK licence, passport, alien registration card (gaijin card) and this time 4000 yen (£20) and a passport photo.

The staff will fill all the application form in for you, then you will be ushered in a back room, while an testing official will go over what the front desk staff just wrote.

Most of the time, the testing official will just like to practice his English with you for ten or so minutes. Smile, say “yes” and “no” at the correct moments, and laugh when he does.

He will give you a day and a time to come back a week later. Then that is finished. You can do no more on that day.

A week later, you go back.

You will have to pass an eye test, which a collection a small circles, with a notch missing from the top, bottom, left, or right. You will see what I mean when you do it. Just point with a finger, and the tester will understand.

Then you get given your licence.

You where given a day and a TIME the week before, because next you and a group of 40 other newly passed Japanese teenagers have to attend a 40 minute lecture (in Japanese) which is mostly talking about drink driving, and motorway advice.

You already HAVE your licence (in your hand), but you must sit through this lecture. You will NOT understand the Japanese, and there is no translation.

At the end you are dismissed, with NO test about the lecture, and the process is finished.
You have a full Japanese licence.

Later I found out, the lecture by law you have to attend. The fact you don’t understand it, is not important. You ATTENDED the lecture, which is the law, and the only important thing.

The full process takes a minimum of 7 days, and cost 7000 yen, or 55 pounds. Minimal Japanese is needed. A tourist phase book is okay.

On a couple of sub-topics. No shaken (the Japanese MOT) is needed on bikes less than 250cc. The shaken is only every 2 years. Pricy. You will not see much change for £300 pounds.

Insurance in Japan is very cheap compared to England. A 1000cc bike is about 150 pounds, and a car is about 220 pounds (in Yen about 40,000).

Bike helmets. Helmets sold in Japan are designed Japanese facial features. The Asian forehead shape is a bit flatter than the European forehead shape, which tends to slope a little bit.
Over a long duration of wearing a Japanese helmet you can find yourself feeling a little head sore.
Best to post a helmet from the UK.

I do hope that helps.

Hayden.
by Hayden rate this post as useful

Cheers Hayden 2004/12/31 06:49
I found your mail very useful, especially the part about the test. That has cleared up many questions. Thank you for your detailed info.

I was glad to read the insurance for big bikes is cheap, much cheaper than I pay here, so with the price of insurance and the shaken it is still cheap compared to my insurance cost here. Big smile (^u^).

As for bike gear I will be using my UK stuff, but I was not sure of the legal side, you know the EU certification of the helmet etc, little stuff like that, but I will use my gear. Might sweat in my unvented UK leathers thought ! ha ha

Thanks again Hayden !

by Biker Boy rate this post as useful

mcTaichi arigato 2004/12/31 07:05
I checked out the link to Suzuki Japan models. Thanks it was useful to know what models are Japanese power.

I will use my own biking gear if leathers are not so cheap.

I found out insurance in Japan for bikes is much cheaper than the UK.

In Japan I may pay less 40,000 Yen, but in the UK my insurance is over 150,000 Yen !!

Sugoii ne.

Ja mata
by Biker Boy rate this post as useful

Happy new year! 2005/1/1 01:22
I am writing it in new year just started.

I am very surprised at your insurance cost. Is 150000 yen for one year? SOOO expensive!
The cost of insurance in Japan depends on your age (older is cheaper) and how long you insure without accident. No big difference between big bike's and small bike's.
Any way it will be much cheaper than 150000 yen.

By the way, where in Japan are you moving to? Yokohama?
I am living in Tokyo. So, if you like, I can tell you about bike events or good place for motorcycling around Tokyo area.

Dewa yoi otoshiwo!
by mcTaichi rate this post as useful

Insurance etc. 2005/1/1 01:36
There are of course different levels in coverage. Compared to some other countries, it is not really expensive. But of course the bigger the bike, the more responsibility you carry in riding and accidents. By all means get insurance that covers unlimited medical coverage for any other party you might injure in an accident. Though with a bike you are more likely to get hurt. You should have some kind of health insurance while in Japan as well. Taxi drivers and scooter riders are some of
the biggest menaces on the road.

As for why bikes are for example 248 cc for a "250" bike, it is the way Japanese laws are written. Like saying 'any bike 250 or over...', so the makers make it just under that.

As for riding equipment, if you wear large sizes, you might find it hard to get something right in Japan. I have larger hands compared to Japanese, so finding decent fitting leather gloves was all but impossible. BTW if you plan to ride in the winter, getting the thickest skiing gloves will be a necessity -- that wind chill will make your
hands go numb. Seriously. And of course regardless what bike you ride a helmet is required by law.

And most importantly have a strong chain lock or horseshoe
(U-ji) lock. Motorcycle theft
is very real in Japan -- and unless you want some miscreant
to joyride and inflict hundreds of pounds of damage on it, lock it up whenever you
leave it somewhere. Anyone telling you there is no crime in Japan in shovelling bullshit in your face. You will have a blast though.
by RSL rate this post as useful

akemashite omedetou 2005/1/1 05:02
Yeah, akemashite omedetou,

In just 4 hours we will be eating toshikoshi soba with my Japanese family ! tanoshimi ni ne !!

Yeah bike insurance is soo expensive, and so are many things about biking too, oh and the roads..... not so good, too wet, and greasy only good in summer.

"The cost of insurance in Japan depends on your age (older is cheaper) and how long you insure without accident."

This is the same as UK, but big bikes like ZX10r or YZFR1 as so so expensive toinsure it means you have to have a lot of money to insure them,.... maybe too many accidents with UK cars or greasy roads....

Probably Chiba city, or at least Chiba prefecture. I have friends in Yokohame so I will be visiting there occasionaly. My wife is from

I am living in Tokyo. So, if you like, I can tell you about bike events or good place for motorcycling around Tokyo area.

Dewa yoi otoshiwo!
by Biker boy rate this post as useful

akemashite omedetou 2005/1/1 05:28
Yeah, akemashite omedetou,

In just 4 hours we will be eating toshikoshi soba with my Japanese family ! tanoshimi ni ne !!

Yeah bike insurance is soo expensive, and so are many things about biking too, oh and the roads..... not so good, too wet, and greasy only good in summer.

"The cost of insurance in Japan depends on your age (older is cheaper) and how long you insure without accident."

This is the same as UK, but big bikes like ZX10R or YZFR1 as so so expensive to insure it means you have to have a lot of money to insure them,.... maybe too many accidents with UK cars or greasy roads....

Probably Chiba city, or at least Chiba prefecture. I have friends in Yokohame so I will be visiting there occasionaly. My wife is from Iwaki, so I know some good roads from Iwaki to Tokyo.

"I am living in Tokyo. So, if you like, I can tell you about bike events or good place for motorcycling around Tokyo area."

That would be really really great !! thanks. I came to Japan on August 25th this year and missed the Suzuka 8 hour race by 1 day !!!! and after I returened home the Motrgi MOTO GP was on 1 weekend later
!!! oh oh no no.... just unlucky this year I guess...

I love bike racing and I love Moto GP, endurabce and British Super bikes.... Yukio Kagayama was in British Super bikes last year, but next year je will be in world suoerbikes for suzuki, I love his riding style.... hangs off the bike so much, very smooth, especially in the Suzuka 8 hours race..... Kagayama san wa sugoii ne.

Next year I hope to be in Japan watching many bike races....

Please tell me about ike events and especially about god places for biking around Tokyo area !! (^u^)

Ganbatte Kagayama san, Nakano san, Tamada san, Aoki san and Abe san Abe san wa do ko ?

"Dewa yoi otoshiwo! "

mcTaichi mo ! (^u^)/~~

mistake e-mail 2005/1/1 06:04
I made a mistake in my e-mail mcTachi, I sent the mail before I finished writing it,,,, atama warui ne.

The last mail was what I wanted to send. Gomen nasai ne.

To chiba-no otomodachi 2005/1/2 03:10
Oh ! you are bike racing fan. But, you missed 2 biggest bike race in Japan last year.
Unfortunately there is very few chance to watch super sports bike championship on TV in Japan.
I just watch MotoGP on TV. having fun. Norick Abe was not full entry for MotoGP last year. This year, I do not know where he is going. I want him come back..

The other thing I mean by "event" are some new bike demonstrations / exhibition held by bike company in spring. You can make trial riding there which will be helpful if you will buy a new bike.

As for good place for biking, I recommend Hakone & Izu- southern area of Mt. Fuji, Nikko- famous as Tosho-gu and mountain view and Venus line - highlands on the center of Japan. Those 3 places have nice mountain road for biking and nice view. I takes 2 or 3 hours from central Tokyo. From Chiba city, it may be takes 30 - 40 minute more.

For further information, I have my web site below carries my report of motorcycling and bike events. But, these are written in Japanese except for few English pages.

http://home.att.ne.jp/aqua/ada-t1626/Bike/Motorcycle.html

Or, you can contact me from below so that I can reply to you via e-mail.

http://home.att.ne.jp/aqua/ada-t1626/Visitor-e.htm
by mcTaichi rate this post as useful

Biking in Japan 2005/2/5 23:48
Picking up a couple of points in this thread. I rode for three years in Japan on an International license with no problems but I wouldn’t advise it. You’re a foreigner and like it or not anything you do is magnified in the eyes of the local population. It cuts both ways; if you held an old lady across the road, you are the best example of an English gentleman living today, if you have a run in with the law, however trivial, you are an evil barbarian attempting to wreck Japanese society!

I had a VFR 400 in Fukuoka, southern Japan and found it a great choice for the mountain roads and for cutting through urban traffic. I was also fortunate enough to have been introduced to a very friendly group of weekend bikers (10 to 15 members) organised around a Honda dealership (HART). We’d go out for a long day ride about once a month and a weekend trip two or thee times a year. Often we’d swap bikes around which was fun but taking a CB 1000 round hairpins on a 1 in 2 hill climb was challenging at times! Getting out into the mountains is perhaps the best thing about biking in Japan. Fantastic scenery, little traffic and cool in the summer. I used to head off with a map and a compass and see where I’d come out after a few hours. Came across pottery villages, hot springs (stop off for a soak – I even found a mixed one once) and deserted temples. I thoroughly recommend trying to meet up with a group like this though accept that it will be pretty difficult. I was only introduced by the police and it turned out that I taught the Chief’s daughter at school so I was quids in. My bike had been stolen by the local bosozoko (imagine XR3i boy racers on wacky racers motorbikes in fancy dress and a penchant for violence) and damaged pretty badly (fairing ripped off, pipe missing, clutch burnt out) so take care, crime does exist in Japan! (http://www.jingai.com/badboso.html) (http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/waiwai/0404/0415biker.html)

Roads can be pretty awful to in places with raised manholes, subsidence, deep storm drains on either side. I paid nothing like the figures mentioned above for insurance though I think I just had basic cover – not sure as the Chief sorted it all out for me.
Have fun!
by andy rate this post as useful

illegal 2005/2/6 09:16
I rode for three years in Japan on an International license with no problems but I wouldn’t advise it.

International driving permits are valid for one year after issuance. However, if you leave Japan for three month or longer and obtain another international driving permit, you can again use it for one year.

But if you use the same internatonal driving permit for more than one year, it will be void and you will get punished for driving without a valid licence. This will be expensive and make future dealings with the Japanese traffic center much more complicated.
by Uji rate this post as useful

motorbike 2005/2/6 16:02
Hey there Andy, Biker boy, Hayden, mcTaichi.

Can you please contact me at chrisberwick@mailforce.net.

Thanks a lot...
by Chris Berwick rate this post as useful

EU B-licence convertable to MC licence? 2005/2/23 02:11
I am a biker-to-be with a follow-up question.

The Yamaha website says a Japanese ''futsuu jidousha'' licence can be upgraded to one that covers motorcycles, too, provided you take a one-hour lecture.

I do not have a Japanese drivers licence yet. Mine is an EU class B licence, which means I'm allowed to drive a normal car in Europe. Will I be able to convert this licence in one go into a Japanese one that will allow me to ride motorcycles as well? Or will I first have to convert the licence, attend that one-hour compulsory lecture and then get yet another licence?
by Kris rate this post as useful

Simple 2005/2/23 08:23
My friend across the road simply leaves Japan to S.Korea for a day and comes back... presto! your international license is once again valid for 12 months.
by Keiko rate this post as useful

Really? 2005/2/23 14:18
Keiko. Your information is incorrect. I think that you will find that to renew an international driving permit you have to be out of Japan for a minimum period of 3 months.
by tzjimuneh rate this post as useful

big bikes in Japan 2005/6/10 14:13
Hi, I live in Kagoshima southern kyuushu. I own and ride a 1999 Triumph Speed Triple 955cc and have some answers and info for whoever needs.
I bought my bike here in Japan, I recently had the shakken done at the bike shop which cost me about 60,000. I also replaced both tyres at a cost of 55,000 including labour. My helmet is an Arai and cost about 40,000, very good though.
I am from Australia and had no problem with the car license. If you are from the UK or commonwealth you need no test at all. Take the photos and the translation with you and you will get it the same day if you take it in personally, I did anyway. One imprtant thing is make sure your license has BOTH an issue and expiry date otherwise you will have problems.
Also, concerning the bike license, If you have had your motorbike license at least 3 months they will issue you automatically a motorcylce license upto 400cc, even if you can legally ride big bikes in Australia or the UK, you will need to do the cumpolsory riding test. It sounds like prices vary from town to town but be prepared to fail at least the first couple of times . Even if you are a superstar they will automatically fail you because they CAN!
The test itself is not so bad, you can do everything they ask of you but its a bit like performing in front of everyone which adds to the tension. Japanese people really go for all the T`s crossed and the I`s dotted !
Insurance isn`t so bad depends on the coverage you want. Don`t drive on an international license if it is your second. You must have returned to your own country for at least 3 months then its ok. Otherwise if you get caught which I did(parking fine) it only leads to a lot of paperwork , frustration , fines and possibly a court appearance because you are actually driving without a license.
Riding in Japan is fun once you get out of the town a bit but watch out for the bloody taxis, the dickheads think they own the road.
Hope this has helped someone, Paul.
by paul rate this post as useful

Thanks Paul. Finally a clear answer. 2005/7/25 00:52
Thanks everyone for car and bike licence info.
I don't suppose anyone's tried to transfer a British bus licence. Any info please.
by Jock rate this post as useful

Bike test 2007/12/11 14:11
HY guys,
I'm Italian and I went in Japan 2 years ago.I changed my car/bike licence without limitation and with big surprise they gived to me bike limits of 400 cc.
Anyway I wanna take this bloody test cause i always drove Kawasaki ninja 600cc.
Does anybody know how is this test?Where I can find the right infos to pass this test?
Thanks
by Alex rate this post as useful

Bike lic query 2008/4/5 15:51
Hi,
I have a query.
If let's say I'll be visiting & staying for less than a mth and I have an international driving lic (car) + a domestic motorbike lic (up to 400cc only), can I legally ride a motorbike anywhere in Japan?
What are the limits, if I can ride in Japan (e.g. capacity, expressways etc)?

Any bike rental shops to recommend in Tokyo?

Thank you.
by Ling rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/5 16:06
http://japanbikerentals.com/jbr_rules.html

I think I got my answer from here. I believe usually these motor bike rental shops require unlimited cc licence.
Argh. Guess I just have to go back and lift that blardy bike in driving school again.

by Ling rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 41
prev
1 2 3
next

reply to this thread