Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 24 of 24
prev
1 2

Applause 2015/12/19 19:27
That's what I'm looking for: honest opinions by people who really knows!
Another idea is to mix the few kanji in an original way so that interested people, even native speaker, must ask me, so that I can explain the story behind the tattoo as long as I see sincere interest: I'd have the right control to explain that I intend a specific concept implied in the word...
Continuing to think and paying attention to ideas...
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itadakimasu 2015/12/19 22:13
I believe an amalgam of kanji will not work in your favor. People who can read the kanji will believe you're one of those people "who don't know what they're talking about" and some may even take exception to this "bastardization" of their writing.

I also don't think too many, if any at all, will be inquisitive and/or come to you with any cuiosity and ask you questions about your choice of tattoo design. People in Japan, in general, keep to themselves and won't go out of their way to approach you. They will definitely have their own opinion and most likely will keep it to themselves save for the occasional look of indignation or disapproval (if exposed). If you befriend Japanese people to the point they're comfortable asking you these personal issues may do so, but most likely they'll tell you it's incorrect.

I don't feel getting a tattoo in a language that is not your own is a wise thing, but that's just my personal opinion. It can lead to many misunderstandings and hopefully most will be humorous but some can be confrontational.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Mistake and Thanks 2015/12/19 23:48
Sorry for the grammar mistake ("people knows").

And thank you for your opinion. Waiting for other interesting ones...

Decided-told-done 2015/12/29 01:59
I've studied some concepts implied in Chinese words, as a whole and as single ideograms, with attention to their basic elements too. I've found a word that's similar to the suggestion made by amenoshita (•òŽÓ): the word is Š´Œƒ; once definitively decided, 2 days ago*, I've told it to a tattoo artist and yesterday* he has painted it into my skin, well hidden when clothes are worn (left humerus area).
Now my curiosity is this: is this Chinese word easily understood by Japanese people (maybe pronounced in a different way)?
Please tell my your thoughts if you are inspired to do it and don't hesitate to ask me if you have any question.

* I'm writing from Europe (UTC+1, 8 time zones "earlier" than Japan)

Even if you don't answer further... You have already been very kind and I express a sense of Š´Œƒ to all of you!

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 24 of 24
prev
1 2

reply to this thread