Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 38 of 38
1 2

power 2008/1/15 22:38
in canada case, we are on a 60 cycle if I recall, Japan is 50 I think. So yeah your appliance from Japan to here will deteriorate MUCH quicker. (And i've seen my wife hair straigtner break down here due to that).

In the reverse your Canadian appliance might not work properly in Japan.
by kmtl rate this post as useful

Update 2008/1/18 10:36
Hi, I posted my original question here three years ago. I just wanted to let you know that my denki pot is still working without a voltage converter. Although I don't use it all the time, I think it's somewhat safe to say that this 900W pot from Japan seems to work in the US. I also gave my hair strainer to someone in Japan and so far it seems to be working over there. I think it's safer to take some electronics from US to Japan because the voltage goes down in Japan (from 120V to 100V). The only problem is you need a plug to use it. I got the plug in the RadioShack for less than $10 but I found cheaper ones on other online stores. If you are in Japan, I recommend to just buy the electronics there. The price is not that different. Even if you can't speak Japanese, you can just walk in the store and buy them and you usually don't need to read the user's guide. Also they don't break as much as they do here in the U.S. Hope this helps...
by Nikki Sato rate this post as useful

facial steamer 100v 2008/1/25 12:20
MY wife has a facial steamer from japan but it is 100V. She brought a transformer in japan. But when we use it as the water i boiling the tranformer gets too hot and then turns off. I bought one from

I plug the steamer in, it works once i press the "Start Steam" button on the facial steamer it then blows the converts fuse. I lost 3 fuses already. This is a heavy duty Step Down Converter, but it still does not work.

Does anyone have any answers? This steamer is more old school, like 10-15 years old.

by Rock Lee rate this post as useful

Electrical Engineer 2008/1/25 12:33
Watashi Wa Denki Gishi. Ha, I am also an Electrical Engineer. I think you should be ok with certain devices. As stated previously though, be careful with devices that produce a lot of heat. All of my American appliances work off base in my house: TV, Laptop, Microwave etc. Now bringing it back to the states won't be a problem for me. My wife does have some things, like space heaters that I might be concerned about. Although the rice cooker and water heater will be fine I'm sure, they are pretty basic.
by MarineUSMC rate this post as useful

wattage 2008/1/25 12:53
Rock Lee,

Your transformer probably keeps blowing fuses because it is rated to only 100 watts. Watts is the amount of power your device consumes and things with heaters in them use lots of power.

100 watts isn't really that high of a power rating for your transformer (which is why it was relatively cheap), and I'd imagine your facial steamer consumes more than 100 watts. Check the label on your device and buy an appropriately rated transformer and you should stop blowing fuses.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

iPod and Cell Phone Chargers 2008/2/24 05:32
Does all of this information apply to cell phone and iPod wall chargers? Here in the US I can just plug it in; will I be able to do that during my stay in Japan or should I be looking for some sort of converter before I pack my bags? Thanks're always so helpful.
by USAngel rate this post as useful

kotatsu 2008/2/25 00:59
Hmm... now you guys have me wondering. USMCMarine, question for you. I have a kotatsu that I bought here in the states at a japanese grocery store. I'm guessing based on the instructions were all in japanese, that this was probably not designed for US Export. Since this is a heat generating device, how careful should I be? I've had it since '06 without a problem, but then again I keep it on fairly low so it's always turning on and off ever 5 minutes to regulate the heat. Any tips to ensure I still have this baby 5 years from now?
by NYCBunny rate this post as useful

CD's and DVD's 2008/3/25 07:37
What about Cd's and DVD's bought in japan, will they still work on american CD player/computers? this may be a stupid question, but I know that japanese games won't work on american playstations, ect. So I was just wondering...
by Roxas rate this post as useful

Some electronics are pretty safe to use 2008/3/25 08:40
USAngel, anything that comes with a charger such as a cell phone, iPod, and laptop should be pretty safe to use. I've seen many of my friends from Japan use such electronics in the US. Roxas, CDs play fine but DVDs won't because most DVD players check for the region code. That's the same reason you can't play Japanese games on US consoles or vise versa. Stupid region code...
by Nikki rate this post as useful

CD's and DVD's 2008/10/9 02:37
CD's from Japan should work in the US.

DVDs have region codes which limit where you can watch them. US DVDs are region 1 and Japanese DVDs are region 2. You need to have a region-free or multi-region DVD player to watch them. As for your computer - you can either change the region setting to let you view region 2 DVDs. But, be careful with that because computers won't let you change regions more than a few times. After that, the setting becomes permanent. Or- you can download a region free media player such as VLC and watch your movies. I have VLC media player on my computer and have had no problem watching any of my Japanese DVDs.
by Marina rate this post as useful

If anyone is still looking... 2008/10/24 23:56
If anyone here is still wanting to know the answer to this question, I'd suggest if you're going to Tokyo head to Akiba and go to one of the Duty Free Shops there that sells electronics specifically made for overseas use. I saw ones for 120 (US) and 240 (UK), but since I only live in US and UK, I didn't pay attention to any more, but I'm sure they had them. They had rice cookers and those neat heat kettle things (they keep water hot all day long).
by Maneki_neko rate this post as useful

What about game consoles? 2008/10/28 17:21
As stated above, whatt about gaming electronics? I heard about a place called Electronic town near Tokyo that had very cheap gaming consoles and accesorries. If I buy a Nintendo Wii game system here in Japan, will I be able to use in when I move back home in a year?
by Jason rate this post as useful

Will Japanese keyboards work in the US? 2009/3/22 07:46
I am living in Japan now and want to buy a Casio Previa keyboard here to use while I am here. But I will probably head back to the US in about two years. Does anyone know if the keyboard will work in the US and if I will need a transformer for it?
by rena (guest) rate this post as useful

takoyaki grill 2010/3/22 21:01
I just bought a takoyaki grill, and i am currently in Australia which uses 220 - 240 v.
Will it be safe to buy an american convertor. (110 - 120v) and use it?

anyone did this before?
can't find a 100v convertor......
by jxtof (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/23 00:49
I have had my Japanese toaster oven I bought in Japan over 20 yrs. ago and still using it everyday in the US. I also had a rice cooker but we got a newer kind with non-stick surface, not because it broke but dated.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/23 02:31
Just to add my 5 pence. Warning this is just for the person who knows what he/she is doing with the 100-240V.
If you worry about the 15-20 v higher voltage in the US compared to Japan's 100V you might consider for pure restive type loads like kotatsu's just to use a diode in series. The resulting heat will be around 85% (i'm sure Kichigaisensei can calculate the exact value). Also you might consider not to use a heavy/expensive 100-120V transformer but use a much cheaper 120 to 20V transformer and put the secondary side of this transformer in series (bucket layout, watch the way you connect this). For those that want to bring a kotatsu to a 240 V area consider to put two in series (heat will be twice as high). You can choose a kotatsu with lower wattage. And of course you can use the series transformer.
The bucket transformer will also work for the water heater (denki pot) and all other electronic appliances (watch the transformer rating!). I would not try the diode because most of the pots have some electronics inside that do not elikef this approach.

BTW You do not need to worry about the losing of the warranty as most Japanese stuff is marketed for the local market with only a local warranty. I found this out because a part broke off of my toilet washlet and Toshiba told me that I was not entitled for a replacement part because I was using the washlet outside of Japan.
by Butchijo rate this post as useful

How about breadmaker?? 2010/8/17 01:48
I'm thinking about getting a breadmaker in Japan and bringing it back to US. Will I need a heavy-duty transformer/converter or will I be able to use it just fine. Thanks!
by yamatonadeshiko (guest) rate this post as useful

100V water pot works fine in the US 2011/3/26 06:32
My Tiger water pot that I bought from Japan works just fine in the US. I was initially worried that 100V appliances will not work in US without a stepdown device. I later found that to be untrue.
by Kintaro (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 38 of 38
1 2

reply to this thread