Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 37 of 37
prev
1 2

filipino colleges? 2006/7/5 14:24
hi lol my name isnt really important hehe
wel yeah get ryte to da point i am currently living in teh U.S california and 3 more months i get my u.s citizenship (im filipino)
and im planning on continuing my studies in tokyo,japan..so im currently enrolling to japanese classes..i speak fluent filipino(tagalog) and fluent english..rusty on japanese...so i been thinking if there is any filipino coleges in tokyo so i can continue to study japanese tehre and also continue my other classes
is there any?
by azn rate this post as useful

.. 2006/7/5 14:36
Sorry unfortunatly the vast majority of Universties in Japan are taught in Japanese, with some universities that offer English. I am not aware of any in filipino.
by .. rate this post as useful

English 2006/7/6 00:51
If you speak English and you wouldn't mind going to an English college you could try Temple University Japan Campus...
http://www.tuj.ac.jp
by TheRage800 rate this post as useful

So Proud 2007/3/28 12:09
I recently was accepted to TUJ (I got the wonderous email on the 14th of March) and I am SO damn glad to see other African American females like myself who want so eagerly to study abroad. It's really invigorating and I'm so proud of everyone! Who am I to be proud. Just a fellow black female who likes to taste of success for those underrepresented. More power to everyone.
by Lauren rate this post as useful

Hey! I need some advice too! 2007/4/4 06:07
Hey guys, my name is Brandon and I am learning Japanese. I am a sophomore (2nd year in high school!) and I am super interested in going to Japan to become a Manga-Ka. I realize it may be difficult, but I am never giving up my dream.

I am homeschooled, and have been for a long time! My basic grades really stink! My math is horrible, my science is only a little better, my language is decent, my history is decent, and my Bible (yeah yeah I know. Who ever takes that anyway?) is lacking. I have always been great at art though. I have never failed an art assignment and I am also great at Computer Digital Arts.
I have read an excerpt from Kishimoto Masashi about him planning to go to college. He stated that he stunk in a lot of stuff, but he was awesome at art and he hoped he would get in even without good grades in anything else. Is there any way (besides increasing my grades [which I am trying to do!] to get into a college?)
I realize that it is super difficult, but I feel that I could do whatever is necessary to be a Manga Author. I know that for my goals (many people won't like it! I know this and am ready for it! I think...lol.) is to create a manga that isn't too gory or (for lack of better word) hoochie or pervy, that Christian young men and women can read. I want to do it in the traditional graphic novel style (black and white with ink!) instead of the computer coloring, but if I can't make it in Manga, I plan on doing Anime or some kind of Animation!

It's really hard to find any colleges that have english. (I started looking last month). ANy suggestions?

by Brandon rate this post as useful

. 2007/4/4 08:37
College admissions have really not many other items for a basis of admission other than grades. Thats why there's SAT's and entrance exams etc depending on whatever country you go to. 2nd year of high school, you still have 2 more years to improve apon things. Work hard.
by John rate this post as useful

study in japan 2007/4/6 19:14
Hi I am a 19 year old guy from the UK and I am going to visit japan in september but I also want to maybe study there I tried college in the UK didnt like it but when I think of japan I get a strong feeling to go study there since I dont lnow japanese very well I think it would be best for me to study the language there first then apply for college. Does anyone possibly have advice on this course of action. Thanks
by Chris rate this post as useful

. 2007/4/7 02:40
What exactly didn't you like about UK university? If you couldn't cut it out in a university in the UK why do you think you can in Japan?

Its not all glitz and glamour.

College in Japan 2007/4/7 14:25
I think everybody has been giving very constructive answers regarding the question of going to college in Japan. I think this is a very personal choice and I totally understand the opinions of those who suggest they follow their gut and just go, as well those who feel that going to college in their home country first and then doing an exchange later is better. I'm in the latter camp.

I think one key thing to consider before embarking on your post high school career is your personal level of maturity and how well you are equipped emotionally to handle the huge transition from high school to college. I think for most people, a huge aspect of the college experience is learning how to live responsibly like an adult. You must make decisions about what you want to study and then buckle down and do the work, make new friends, deal with living away from your family, get to know your new physical environment, all the practical aspects of living on your own, etc. So ask yourself, can you do all that AND do it all in a foreign country at the tender age of 18. I thought starting college in my home country was hard enough, never mind doing all that in a foreign one. I grew up in the US speaking Japanese at home, went to college in the US and spent a year at Nanzan University in Nagoya my 3rd year. I'm glad that I went to Japan in my Junior year because it took me 2 years to figure out where my passions lay. By the time I decided to go to Japan for a year, I was focused and ready. If I just went off and started college in Japan right away, I'm sure I would have had a much tougher time.

It would be no exaggeration to say that spending a year in Japan changed my life. I made life long friends and parlayed my experience into a career where bridging the cultural gap between our US and Japan offices is key to my professional success.

I think that if you are clear about what you want to get out of going to Japan and attending college, then go for it. If you still have some growing up to do, better to do it at home, learn about how to become a successful adult in your own culture and then go out and see what the world has to offer.

By the way, I understand that Sophia University (calle Jochi in Japanese) is also a fine (Catholic) instituion for both Japanese and English instruction. My wife went there and it is considered an Ivy League type school. Tokyo University is like Harvard, MIT and Stanford all rolled into one. All the power to you if you get accepted there.

Good Luck!
by seiji rate this post as useful

What I plan to do 2007/4/7 22:07
I understand that a lot of thought is needed for a decision like this. I didnt really like my college in the UK so I ended up on a NVQ for business admin for 2 years I am planning this trip to japan in september so i can get a feel of what it is like over there and if I really like it there I will consider going to study there I plan to study at a japanese language school first before I make any college choice I have had to live alone certain times of the year with my family enjoying holidays while i studied for my GCSEs and I know that it may sound stupid goin to a college in japan when I didnt like the UK but I have been fascinated with japan since I was 12 and I have a strong feeling like going to japan may help me alot and when i do go to study there I will give it my all and more because I know it will be something I am going to love.
by Chris rate this post as useful

. 2007/4/8 02:43
So if you had stayed in college in the UK you could of already graduated with a bachelors degree, gotten a work visa and work in Japan right now, but instead its been delayed "just because you didn't like it". Just because you like life in Japan (which isn't as dazzled as the media portrays), doesn't mean you're going to like University in Japan, its a large buruacracy, with classes, schedules etc just like going to school about anywhere else.

I been seaching for japaneses colleges 2007/10/16 08:53
I been searching for Japaneses graphic colleges for a while and i can't find any i would like some tip on home to search for Japaneses since u been looking longer then i have.I just recently decide to go to japan becuz i want to learn video games designing some I'm show me u can give some tip to search for Japaneses colleges thanx
by jazz rate this post as useful

how is your Japanese? 2007/10/16 10:03
To study graphic arts in Japan you will most likely need to have very fluent spoken and written Japanese- are you a fluent speaker and can you read a newspaper in Japanese?

If not, it is not a language that can be picked up quickly, it takes at least a couple of years of full time study to be able to read at that kind of level.

Just letting you know in case that affects your plans.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Go for it 2007/12/1 02:17
For all those that say your crazy to do this...Just go for it!!! Im 25 years old and have been travelling since i was 18. The life experience you will obtain from living and studying in a foreign country surely outweighs the negatives of having to deal with a foreign culture and language. AS for the language side, i and many friends that have spent time in a foreign country can attest to that when you are immerged into a language it generally takes about 3 months and you will have your first dream in that language, after that you will pick it up quicker and easier then you thought. Also having some background knowledge will help...and hell half the fun is learning and making mistakes, besides many people now speak english in Japan and they will be more then willing to try to speak your language. (I am moving to Okinawa next year as my Fiancee is going to be stationed there..thankfully i wont have to experience the culture clash as im going to be surrounded by american military...)

and if you think that language is a barrier, trust me im a native English speaker but Australian, even coming to the usa was a cultural learning, you use words that i dont....such as fanny (in australia that is a vagina) i was shocked when i heard people throwing that word around haha.

As for college in Japan, from what i read they have An american university that offers classes in english that are transferable to the USA if you wished to come home, and the great thing about the university is that it does offer japanese classes, such as language aswell as japanese history or classes that are offered in japanese colleges. Best of both worlds i say

So go for it, you only live once and hell if you decide you made the wrong choice just turn around and come home. Would you rather play everything safe then have regrets?? Ive never regreted travelling and studying abroad, and now i find when i go home to australia im restless and cant wait for my next adventure
by Belinda rate this post as useful

Graphic Schools in Japan 2007/12/15 16:53
For people that have been asking about media colleges in Japan(game design, manga, etc.), I'm currently an exchange student here from America and recently at my high school there was a job fair and we received brochures about a few interesting colleges in Osaka that focus on media and the entertainment industry(acting, dancing, production, etc). When I looked on their website it appeared that it's actually a group of technical colleges (similar to the The Art Institutes in the US if anyone is familiar with those) that has schools in Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, Nagoya, and Sendai. They also have an English website. I was surprised at some of the majors they have, especially concerning the manga industry, and how specific they were, but in a country where manga, anime, and video games are such a huge industry, there's lots of interesting options available. The music/performance and dancing/acting colleges were very interesting as well. So I would recommend anyone who knows what they want to do and is looking for a more arts-centered career-oriented college education in Japan to just take a look. You must pass the JLPT 1 or 2 test to qualify, but there are language colleges within the group that can help you do that. They look good for someone is planning to be in Japan for the long term in the art or entertainment industry, and I would think that you wouldn't need to worry as much about the "credibility" of your degree if you moved back to America the way you might with a more academic degree.

Japanese website:
http://www.jikeicom.jp/
English website:
http://www.umi.ne.jp/com/index.html

Here is another English website, this one is the actual company's main page and is WELL TRANSLATED and much more informative, I would recommend this one for those who can't read Japanese.
http://www.jikeigroup.net/world/en/index.html
by Lucia rate this post as useful

college in japan... 2008/1/8 14:22
Well, I think that maybe if you want to get a real hands on experience of the japanese culture then go for it even if you are going to return!!! Don't pass up this experience because then sooner or later in life you will regret it... anyways it might not help much when you come back and it will be hard at some times but by the way you have described yourself then I think that you could manage. I'm also thinking about doing the same thing only that I'm going to start a career there so it's a much more easier decision than you but seriously I think that you should and being bilangual doesn't hurt plus it may help you when you apply for a job. So to sum this message up....GO FOR IT!!!!!
by Michael rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/12/25 15:46
@Belinda, I read your response and I don't care if it it was posted years ago but I would like to thank you because your words encouraged me as well since as of the moment, I am not sure whether I shall push through with my exchange program in Japan next March 2011 (just 3 months away from today).

by lastmockingbird rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 37 of 37
prev
1 2

reply to this thread