Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 25 of 25
prev
1 2

Nose Picking 2008/2/9 12:54
You know, I completely understand the concept of not blowing the nose at the table. But can someone please tell me when it became socially acceptable to pick your nose in public? Seriously, I just spent 14 hours on a flight to Osaka and had the row all to myself. That is, until this guy took the aisle seat. For damn near 12 of those hours, he had his finger in his nose. I mean the guy was doing some serious digging, to the point that I wanted to vomit. And he clearly did not grasp that the human nostril cannot accommodate a full-size adult finger. It can only go but so far. But he kept on going. All he needed to do was go to the bathroom and blow hard. NO! Instead, he grossed me out for the entire flight. So,I am all in favor of tasteful public blowing if it means that the picking will end.

Oh, and the guy wasnot even washing his hands. Just plain nasty!
by aurora rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/9 17:28
But can someone please tell me when it became socially acceptable to pick your nose in public?

Never. It is highly inacceptable to pick your nose in public in Japan. Don't judge a whole country based on the behavior of a single individual!
by Uji rate this post as useful

Oops! 2008/2/11 08:00
I did not mean to imply that all people in Japan do it. In fact, I see quite a bit of that in New York as well, and it is equally as disgusting. I only wanted to convey that blowing instead of picking is far more preferable.

Sorry if I offended anyone.
by aurora rate this post as useful

.... 2008/12/17 15:42
During my stay in Japan I had seen people blow their nose in public on the regular. No big thing really. I personally don't, if I can help it. But if it is needed then so be it. I say just try to be mindful of others about it(Turn away and/or try to control your honk level as much as you can).
by Gebe rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/17 18:52
I ve seen Japanese who have the same problem and they blow their nose anywhere. but try to get medicine, someone I know uses Chinese medicine they become better. but they have to take the medicine often.

a lot of people tell you bad manner, but in cities everything goes.

I suggest you try harder to avoid it, but if you have no choice, go for it. if anyone frown upon you, tell them you have allergy. or follow the golden rule, ignore them. Japan or not in Japan, doesn't matter.
by Man rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 25 of 25
prev
1 2

reply to this thread