Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 43
prev
1 2 3
next

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/17 22:15
You don't need a degree in English or English lit or anything like that. Since your education was in English, any batchelor's degree is fine.

If you want to teach English, then by all means try that, but you mentioned before that you might struggle to get hired due to your nationality.

If art is something you really want to pursue, then with what the embassy told you in mind, stick with what you are doing for the time being. You have a stable residency status, continuing study presumably means you have more financial stability because of your parents (I assume by dependency you meant financial dependency), and it means you get to stay with your girlfriend. When the virus situation settles down enough for you to make a trip to India, go and get your documents taken care of, then return to Japan and marry your girlfriend if this is what you want to do when that time comes. I know you would rather be doing something other than what you are doing now, but your studies keep you in the country, and that is the most important thing. So all I can recommend is patience.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/17 23:34
Hey,

So yea I kind of had my answers.
Also, I have tried to reason with my parents for years, earlier they had the upper hand because of the situation in the country and promised me that I would be able to do it if I am out of the country, now they just refuse everything. Look, I have tried my best to understand their situation but they insist on being stubborn. I can understand why you are explaining this to me, but here's the thing. They have said some things that now make me feel like an unwanted burden to them. I had mad respect for my parents and how they handled things. But they way they had gone down to emotional blackmail and controlling stuff, especially after witnessing a similar case, let's just say I had expected different from people who are PhDs in areas related to managing people and passionately study psychology. Either way what's done is done.

Finally, thank you so much to everyone who tried to educate me. I see the best thing is to get a degree and try making the best of it. I had all these ideas and I just wanted to discuss and get some feedback. Since people here have more experience than me, I thought it would be a good place and I wasn't wrong! A healthy discussion always helps streamline things. I wish my university had people like this or I could have a discussion like this with my parents. This problem wouldn't even exist.

Anyways thank you so much to everyone for taking time and replying to my query! Let's hope I come out wiser by the end of this endeavor!
by Anonymous (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 00:59
Remember that even if you do complete you degree there is no obligation to get a job in that field afterwards. While it's true that the time you spend studying is time you will never get back, the same can be said for the time you might spend doing a job you don't want to be doing in the future. Do what you need to do to stay in Japan with your girlfriend for now, and there is no reason you can't try to make a career from art in the future. My degree is in civil engineering, I have worked in marketing for the past 15 years. Do what makes you happy.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 01:08
Thank you for the encouraging words!

Honestly speaking, after arts, robotics was my second love! Being from a family of academicians where research was always glorified, I was actually excited and interested in pursuing research. But, after coming here, the experience was so traumatizing that I don't want to be a part of it. Also, not saying that it's difficult! If it was, it could be dealt with. Like when you like something, you are ready to push knowing that it's difficult. But the outlook of people towards research and the approach was so scary that I was totally discouraged.

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 06:28
They say I can't get the "Single Status Certificate" as I have to physically go and get it.
Yes, of course you would have to go and physically get it - from the embassy. In the two previous cases I have helped with (one US, one UK) in both instances the people went to their respective embassies here in Tokyo and did the declarations and obtained the necessary paper-work.
And, as an observation, the process of officials taking statements from your parents as "proof" sounds weird. You are 24, an adult, get on with your life.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 10:28
India is not comparable for US and UK. so, the laws are different.

by the way, what is the reason why you give up continuing study in graduate school ?
you have no more interest on the field ? do you have any problem with collaborators or the lab itself, or language problem ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 10:46
Yea, things in India are different. I have to go back to the country and get it.

So here's why I'm not interested anymore. People might think that just because I find it difficult and I am failing, that I am trying to shift the blame. No, that's not the case.
I came to this university (it's a national uni) expecting high standard research. Actually I was expecting things will be difficult since everyone would be serious about research, and I was getting into information science from mechanical engineering. I come here, things are worse. Professors are not interested in teaching or doubt clarification. Students are in it for a degree. No one cares about learning in a class. Just memorize the thing and be done with it. I can't do that nonsense, if I'm learning nothing, then the class is pointless to me. No one cares about their research either, they work like lab technicians. Just do what the professor says, don't think or question anything. I have come across so many people who don't know why they are doing what they are doing. They treat research like a 9 to 5 job. There is no collaboration, you would collaborate when you are using your brain. I have seen people fabricate results for publication, write absolute nonsense in their thesis. These are not the things you'll expect from a university which is "focused" on research and doesn't take undergraduates.
I used to think that these were problems in India and wanted to escape to a better research environment, but I find myself in the same nonsense. That's why I say my experience was traumatizing and I have lost all interest.

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 10:51
the master course in Japan are different from those in USA.
in Japan, students who attend the course already have some knowledge to pursue the research project. they skill up it in the course. fundamental knowledge is lectured in undergraduate level (mainly 3rd and 4th grade). so, I think the master course in Japan is comparable for preliminary doctoral course in other countries. actually, it is often that they use textbooks (which is used in graduate school in USA) in undergraduate school.

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 11:07
I don't have a problem with it just being difficult. That can be dealt with. Even if I struggle, I know I'm learning and would gain something at the end of it.
In this case, I see I'm getting nothing but a degree. Others might disagree with me here but, to me a degree like this is worthless. I would intellectually gain more from YouTube than I would from this place.

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 12:15
Rather than seeking an alternative route such as marriage or work, have you considered switching universities? I can completely understand your point of view about your current research position, but rather than find a completely different visa perhaps you should search for a university that allows you to undertake the kind of research and learning you are looking for.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 12:16
Hi,

I'm just curious.

I have never been treated like this by my parents

Why are your parents that insistent this time? Have you tried writing them some kind of a project proposal? Putting things into written form helps sort out "messed up" people's minds. For example, if they feel that they've invested too much for you, you can write a financial plan to pay them back the money. If they're concerned about a marriage that seems to have no future, you can write a specific plan on how your future life would be with your girlfriend. Maybe to them, you are the one who seems "messed up".

Freelancing (which I do, too) is a very unstable way to live. You could be making a fortune one year, and make no money the next. Fun jobs are typically unstable, to begin with. It's natural for parents to be concerned, and 24 is a young age especially in an Asian male perspective.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 12:50
I am currently looking to change my lab, to one where the environment is slightly better. I'll also try to see if I can change university, although I don't know how simple that would be.

Also, yea I tried to put things in writing but they just keep reading past it, basically ignoring it forever. As a freelancer, my income would mainly be from sources like commissions, projects like games or Patreon. I understand their concern because things like this wouldn't work in India. I would prefer not to go into any more details regarding the conversations and all that.... it gets a bit personal. I understand how difficult and uncertain freelance jobs are, but I am willing to do it because I enjoy it. I can work on this from 9 in the morning to 12 midnight and have no complaints. Plus, I'm also reading up on small things like investing, day trading and small things which might help make things consistent.

But it's fine, I have to commit myself to one thing now and make sure it gets done, otherwise I'll end up wasting time.

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 19:20
I am not surprised to hear about how the academic research world works in your current university... Most of my friends who aimed for a PhD (in the IT field, not in Japan) were very disappointed with their "team". A few lucky ones landed in a stimulating environment, with colleagues working together, instead of competing among themselves to get their name on a publication.

There is also a lot of innovation happening outside state-funded labs. If a Master's degree is enough to get a job in a regular company, it might be worth giving it a try :)
by ML (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 19:29
Thanks, that's what I'm going to look for now. :)

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 22:00
although you are engaging in "technology", you are expecting "academic".
"academic" is mainly done in 理学部, and very few in 工学部.
in 工学部, most of students are going to master course for the purpose of easy job hunting. they don't have much interest on research.

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 22:12
I have no clue as to what this university is. What I know is, they have no undergrads, just Master's, PhD, Postdoc etc. Also they promote research in general. On they surface they talk a lot about research and once you are in, reality hits hard.
There is only one department that actually promotes discussions and I'm trying to shift to that right now.

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 22:26
what you are saying is 先端科学技術大学院. probably, 奈良 or 北陸.
what I mean is that "science" and "technology" are different.
researching style (or how to focus on research) of individual professor is influenced heavily by their background education (previous experiences of research).

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 22:38
in the lab I learned, on every Saturday, one of lab members picks up one scientific paper and summarizes it and shows a presentation and discuss it. it is education, how to read, how to present, how to discuss, etc.
also, each member shows a presentation of individual research progress and discuss it.
it is lab meeting.

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 22:45
I see.
Your lab seems to be doing good if people are promoting interaction!
I haven't done anything like that. I don't think my professor even knows if I am in the university or not. That's why I want to shift and maybe go to a better lab.

Re: Freelance Art in Japan, a bit of a fix 2020/12/18 23:02
in March or April, eat lunch under cherry tree blossoms on campus.
going to excursion (hiking) to nearby (not so far) mountains in spring or fall, because the boss likes it.
some celebration parties in night, for new comer, for the end of year, for new year, for graduation, etc.
all are education. you may learn how to arrange it, how to survive in a crowded group and communicate each other.
why don't you enjoy them ?

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 43
prev
1 2 3
next

reply to this thread