Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 52
prev
1 2 3
next

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/1 18:01
Rejo, I meant that Japan doesn't not accept foreigners to migrate with that reason.
I know visa application process.
Please don't read the text literally, thanks.
by mamoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/1 18:07
I don't really see a problem with "buying" a visa so long as it is done so legally. Happens all the time in many countries, and some actively promote it. Cayman, Vanuatu, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands are some extreme examples. In Malta you outright pay the govt 600,000 euros for citizenship. Most places are not so straight forward though, but many countries do grant right to reside with significant investment.

Was just wondering while there is no law in Japan where they say give us X amount of money into our state budget and you get a passport, if there is any way to invest in the country in exchange for the right to live there.
by Jackson78 rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/1 18:56
You are comparing tax heavens, corrupt Cyprus & Malta golden passports with Japan. You should know Japan is not looking for more seniors. Rich or not rich. It has plenty of them.

Sorry but you need to understand that Japan is not for sale.
by Man (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/1 19:47
There is no such system in Japan. A handful of incredibly wealthy people moving to a tiny country and taking their millions with them can actually make a big difference to that country's economy. Some territories operate with their main focus being "playground for the rich" (think Monaco). Not so much with Japan, a country of 140 million whose economy really wouldn't see much noticeable benefit from such a system because they probably couldn't attract that many rich people even if they wanted to. What Japan needs is young people who are going to work and contribute in that way rather than just existing as a rich person, doing nothing at all every day and only contributing by spending money. Surely you much understand this.

It's fine and good that some countries will take you in, but simply being economically privileged does not afford you the right to move anywhere you please.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/1 20:13
"I don't really see a problem with "buying" a visa so long as it is done so legally. " --Jackson78

Japan doesn't have an investor visa (like say the EB 5 visa of the U.S.) that is structured so that a "green card" (quasi equivalent of permanent residency) can be bought outright.

With the Investor/Business Manager visa, you really do have to setup a business that hires Japanese or permanent residents and pays taxes. Maybe there is some wiggle room in terms of how you can set things up or run the business, but those are details that you are going to have to figure out by being in Japan and understanding the system, along with lots of advice from people that have already got such a visa and lawyers that have helped get such visas.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/1 22:53
> they probably couldn't attract that many rich people even if they wanted to.

You should understand said amount is not considered that "rich" in Japan.
And when the "rich" in your standard can't really produce anything such as continuous employment, industry, children that are culturally Japanese, they are not welcomed.
Especially the person is elderly, the nation has to take a risk to spend its resource for her. It's not what we want to do.
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/1 22:55
"Resource" is not necessarily money.
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/2 00:50
I don't really see a problem with "buying" a visa so long as it is done so legally. Happens all the time in many countries, and some actively promote it. Cayman, Vanuatu, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands are some extreme examples.
Yes, and Japan is not one of them, which clearly means they do not seek those kind of foreign residents.

Honestly, you should first try out living in Japan yourself, and see if it is really a suitable country for your mother. Does she speak fluent Japanese? Will she be able to do her own shopping, take public transportation, discuss with her housing manager, maintenance workers, avoid scams & so on. Japan is a nice place for tourism, but the country is not reputed to be particularly friendly towards immigrants - to put it mildly. I suppose there is discrimination everywhere, though.
Maybe ask in a Malaysian expat forum if they managed to settle in Japan, and try to find a city with an established Malay community?
by ML (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/2 04:54
"I don't really see a problem with "buying" a visa so long as it is done so legally. "

No problem with visa application process if authority did not find that your mother would go to Japan to live with you rather than to work for the company that was opened for visa. However, this attitude of you (thinking of your goal only, having ignored situation of Japan) would be a kind of problem. This is selfishness in Japan and not culturally welcomed. It is like people who refuse to wear a mask in a crowded public place, saying "it is not illegal", insisting own comfort, and ignoring public health. At least, you and your mother had better understand Japan's situation that everybody mentioned -Japan is not a country like Malta, Japan has problem with large population of senior citizens.
by notmaskkeisatsu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/2 08:13
@Jackson78 - throughout this thread (and others) you really seem not to want to listen and understand the advice people have provided. Other countries are irrelevant, you are looking at Japan which actively avoids immigration policy. If you don't want to understand and accept the rules and laws of Japan, I really wonder why you want to come here.
For your mother, her options are close to nil and you need to accept that.
Unless she is a capable business woman who is prepared to work another 10 years (actively - not passively - in a job, say under the business manager visa) to qualify for PR, her ability to stay long term in Japan is basically zero, irrespective of how much money she may or may not have.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/2 10:11
@jackson78, I suggest you contact a Japanese immigration lawyer/consultant for specific advice and solutions given your mother and your circumstances and objectives. Immigration professionals can you give more definitive answers and greater assurance than anonymous posters on a message board.
by MegaHK rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/2 11:49
@MegaHK I think that's the next step, was just trying to gather some background information before approaching a professional. I have actually learnt quite a bit in the process of reading and replying to this thread, at least about what is not possible.
As for her living in Japan, I think she will manage and it is far better than the alternative. Put it this way, if I am going to go to Japan anyway, she is still far better off with me than back in Malaysia where she has no immediate family. I will be working, she will probably not, unless I can find her something suitable within a family business.

From yours and everyone's replies, I think the next steps are:
1-Speak to an immigration lawyer in regards to our circumstances
2-Explore options for starting a business and see if said immigration lawyer has any suggestions to the plan

Can anyone recommend any immigration lawyer online/zoom for a preliminary information gathering/brainstorming chat? It will be quite a while before anyone can go to Japan on a holiday due to travel restrictions, and at this stage I am just hunting for information.

Also, while this is a question I intend to ask the immigration lawyer, while she is fine now, if she stays home for now but needs care in later life, as her main carer do I have any options? I know of a few half-Japan ese (not close friends and we are not really in contact so can't ask them directly) who managed to bring in their parent on medical/compassionate grounds on a designated activities visa.
by Jackson78 rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/2 13:05
unless I can find her something suitable within a family business
So that she can get a work visa at 60 years old. Sure...

while she is fine now, if she stays home for now but needs care in later life, as her main carer do I have any options?
Ah...here we are....Why did I just see this coming? Well, just bring more Malaysian people with a work visa to Japan to care for her...

Obviously you don't really mind about people opinion so yes, talk to an immigration lawyer. They will probably milk you dry but at least hope has no value.

by Man (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/2 14:29
Odd question - but if you read and write Japanese have you through about asking these questions on a Japanese medical forum?

They will know what types of jobs are available for people who have your skills. I only know from a science background with translation. To be employed for Japanese - English in Geology, you really need a university level understanding of the technical terms in both Japanese AND English.

To the best of my knowledge - most of the need for translation in Japan (medical) is between Japanese to English for particular medical products and equipment for things such as product brochures and instructions. I only know a few people in the industry so my comment is not based on an exhaustive list.

This has been said multiple times (including by myself) - but Japan has REALLY BIG problems with having enough care workers and nurses. It was enough to make a dramatic shift in blue collar worker immigration policy for the first time since WW2.

https://ajrc.crawford.anu.edu.au/department-news/14758/japan-opens-its...

What does this mean? Japan is so worried about not being able to support their elderly that they changed immigration policy from a centre-right government. As such - they are not looking for semi-retirees / retirees as this will add to an almost insurmountable problem. Visiting areas of population collapse which are not often visited by foreign tourists have allowed me to understand this better than most tourists (but not more than locals or those who deal with industry on this forum)

That means as I mentioned the first time - you might be able to move if there is a job for you here. But people of advanced years it's really difficult.

China recently changed laws that people over the age of 60 can't even get a work visa unless they are really high up in a business (eg - CEO etc). That is also happening in other countries in the region.

I also mentioned that it's important to speak to someone who know's what they are talking about. The other person who also talked about immigration lawyers is also correct. If someone amazingly replies with a Malay/Japanese immigration lawyer with experience in moving parents to Japan - check the repliers "member since" status as it might just be someone trying to drum up business.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/2 15:16
Having read all of that, there IS a visa for taking old parents. It's not publicly announced, but is called "roujin fuyou" (taking care of an elderly parent), and it applies to 70+yo parents with no relatives and no caretakers in their country, who need to be taken care of. This visa is given for "humanitarian reasons" and is incredibly difficult to get, with unofficial sources saying only about 20% of the applicants get it. It is mainly receved by and targeted at people from India and China, because of their close family-tie type of cultures which is seen as a humanitarian reason by Immigration.
Personally, I find it very problematic how certain Asian nationalities are prioritized for their family-tie cultures when the same is true for Greece, Spain and Italy (for those EU countries it's considered that they have good nursing home so chances are lower - very unfair!). But all in all, it's given for specific case reasons and you have to provide very solid proofs.
by AlexanderStankov rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/2 20:14
@JapanCustomTours

The mother is stated as being a millionaire. This means it is quite possible for her to get the Investor/Business manager visa on her own, possibly as a partner, or being in his company management (such as a director, vice president, some type of manager, etc...). Thus a lot depends on how he sets up the company, and her name and position in the company. On that note, I have seen foreign family businesses in Japan (they own restaurants).

That the OP's mother is living in Japan with him and has some type of visa, it is likely he wouldn't be concerned about it taking 10 years for permanent residency. The OP also stated he would be looking to become a Japanese citizen, which means at that point he would have full rights. I'm not sure on the details of how that goes, as I don't know of or have any friends that went that path, but I would suspect he would have a very good chance to get his mother to Japan in that situation. Particularly as a business owner.

The other angle of this, is that if he does successfully establish the business and gets the Investor/Business Manager visa, he could possibly hire his mother to work for him (issue her a work visa). Again as some type of manager, director, or employee.

Yet another part of this is that the odds of the OP's business failing, at least in the first 5 years (and prior to him obtaining Japanese citizenship), are lower than others because of the financial backing of his mother. Being rich or near to it, has its advantages.

My understanding of how the Japanese immigration process works (just based on years of observations and conversations with friends), is that they are still very preferential towards those with money. The more money, the smoother things usually go. No, people can't outright by visas, but being rich (or near to it) will definitely help. If the OP successfully sets up a business that hires people and pays taxes, then becomes a Japanese citizen on top of that, he has a good chance to get what he wants.

I do agree with your point that the OP can get caught up in wasting a lot of money, to include get swindled by various companies and lawyers in Japan. This is why it would be to his advantage to actually travel to Japan and do a lot of studying and talking to people (particularly from his country) who have already done (or similar) to what he wishes to do. He should do the "leg work" of looking and figuring out what type of business would be best for him to set up in Japan, versus throwing money at people and getting swindled.

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/3 13:54
Earlier (far earlier) when I mentioned a one-year holiday maker's visa, I was NOT referring to the Working HOliday Visa (age limit applies) but this one, just to buy some time (if that is needed):

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page22e_000738.html
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/3 19:14
@AK

Maybe you should call it Long Stay visa, as to prevent confusion with the Working Holiday visa. The issue with that visa is it appears tricky to know if you can get approval, and probably they will scrutinize if any business or work activity is being done, outside of being a tourist. So of course the person has to say the right things.

The OP has the money in the bank to qualify, but staying in Japan for 1 year without working is going to be a severe money drain, even for this type of person. It would be quite easy to blow 50,000 dollars (5,500,000 yen) without even trying too hard. And if the person decides to really enjoy themselves or be very/too comfortable, well who knows how much.

On the flip, if the person can be very disciplined and focused, they could make it work or do everything needed in just 6 months. But I do agree it is an option to think about, and if additional time is needed to setup everything for the Investor/Business Manager visa later.

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/4 07:58
@rejo
The mother is stated as being a millionaire. This means it is quite possible for her to get the Investor/Business manager visa on her own, possibly as a partner, or being in his company management (such as a director, vice president, some type of manager, etc...). Thus a lot depends on how he sets up the company, and her name and position in the company. On that note, I have seen foreign family businesses in Japan (they own restaurants).
You do not seem to understand the business manager visa very well - some of it, yes, but not how it works in practice.
For the mother to apply, she has to set up the company (and the difficulties with that - it is not easy), and work/run the company. She has to demonstrate to immigration that she has the skills and ability to do so. And then, after working/running it for ten years, would be able to apply for PR. The son cannot set up the company and run it - she has to.
Working in a company (even nominally), once she stops working, and before the 10 year period to apply for PR, then she goes back to Malaysia.
And, yes, having money certainly helps - I know in my case that having/running a business in Japan is an expensive enterprise which is why I still have a high level of monthly expenses/bills for the last two years despite no customers due to covid and the closed borders.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/5 00:44
@JapanCustomTours

I probably know more than most, as have good acquaintances who got the Investor/Business Manager visa. And they are still a resource that I can ask questions about it directly. However, it will ultimately be up to the OP to find out what will work for him best. He doesn't appear to know what kind of business he (or his mother) might try to set up yet.

If you have helpful information in addition to what I've typed, please share it. Being in vague disagreement with something I typed, is not going to enlighten the OP or others. I think we are here to help.

And, I'm not sure if you thoroughly read my previous comments. Part of what I'm saying, based on the OP's description, is that they have numerous options.

"For the mother to apply, she has to set up the company (and the difficulties with that - it is not easy), and work/run the company. She has to demonstrate to immigration that she has the skills and ability to do so." --JapanCustomTours

As the mother is a millionaire, her attempting to get a Investor/Business Manager visa on her own is just one of a few possibilities. In addition, I didn't state this was the only option. The OP can set up his business where the mother is a director, vice president, or manager. So, if the OP is successful in establishing the company and obtaining the Investor/Business Manager visa, then he could possibly hire her to work in Japan (OP should keep in mind he still needs to hire Japanese nationals or permanent residents).

Also, the reverse can work too. If the business is set up in the mother's name, she can hire her son to work for her. Especially if he obtains Japanese citizenship.

A lot also depends on the type of company. For instance is the OP or mother establishing a subsidiary, branch, or representative office in Japan.

In the case of it being a representative office, things are a bit different, because the type of visa issued can be an engineer or intra-company transferee. It might be possible for the mother to come over via those types of visas. But, this of course are questions best answered by immigration lawyers or people who have done it that way. Even if a person has the Investor/Business Manager visa, how they got it can be quite a bit different to how someone else was able to get it.

"And then, after working/running it for ten years, would be able to apply for PR. The son cannot set up the company and run it - she has to." --JapanCustomTours

Remember, the son's goal is to obtain Japanese citizenship. He can come to Japan on a regular work visa (it appears he has the educational background where this is very viable), then after 5 years become a citizen. The mother, who is the millionaire, can possibly come on the Investor/Business manager visa. The son can help establish the company in her name, she can put down that the son is a director, vice president, etc... That is just one way of several that it can go.

That the son has his mother in Japan, their goal is accomplished. That it will take 10 years to obtain permanent residency would probably not matter to them as long as they have some type of visa. They would both be in Japan. Additionally, after the son becomes a Japanese citizen, he can help run or take over the business if it was in his mother's name.

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 52
prev
1 2 3
next

reply to this thread