Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 31 of 31
prev
1 2

Re: buy single journey railway ticket online 2024/1/16 10:22
if I were you,
buy a round ticket (basic fare ticket)at manned counter and buy individual express tickets at stations (ticket machine) just before you ride.
don't forget to keep your basic fare ticket when you go out the gates.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: buy single journey railway ticket online 2024/1/16 11:26
Hi ken (guest), assuming you wre me, using the resources mentioned in this post could you work out the fares for my trip (with some detail with base fare and other fares would be good so that we would easily understand). Basically, its Dep Tokyo to Kyoto (overnight at Kyoto), then Kyoto to Hiroshima (overnight Hiroshima), then Hiroshima to Haneda airport (overnight haneda and depart to australia). we do not need reserved seats.
by darrelj rate this post as useful

Re: buy single journey railway ticket online 2024/1/16 11:39
Is there a reason why you won't use these tools?

Tokyo to Hiro base 11880
Tokyo to Kyoto seat 4960
Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima seat 4170

Hiro to Tokyo base + seat 21010

Osaka to Hiro can be done if you use the Sakura service. About 3 mins slower.

Also Kyoto to Shin-Osaka. Just use a local/rapid and save 1200ish yen.

Base also gets a discount if you do return option.

These costings were pulled from hyperdia.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: buy single journey railway ticket online 2024/1/16 11:50
These were unreserved seats on the Nozomi

Re: buy single journey railway ticket online 2024/1/16 11:55
H Guest, I am able to use those resources. But i wanted to see how someon else does it so I can see if i am doing it right or wrong :-) .

Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima- why did you use Shin- Osaka? Isn't there a train from "Kyoto" to Hiroshima? Excuse my ignorance.

Re: buy single journey railway ticket online 2024/1/16 12:27
If you missed my original explanation in my post. I kept it basic, but I'll expand on it now.

Kyoto and Shin-Osaka are very close. 12 vs 25 minutes shinkansen vs rapid. The slower option is about 1200 yen saved in seat fees.

From Shin-Osaka, you can also take a Sakura service instead of a Nozomi, saving another 300-600 seat fees also, if you wish. Bonus of this option is that this services start at Shin-Osaka, so always easy to get a seat.

Re: buy single journey railway ticket online 2024/1/16 13:43
Actually cancel that. Kyoto or Shin-Osaka is the same costs to Hiroshima. Make sense the just to do Kyoto to Hiroshima direct. Sorry for the mistake.

Re: buy single journey railway ticket online 2024/1/16 14:03
Tokyo to Hiroshima base fare 11880 x2 (plus 10% discount as over 600km)
Tokyo to Kyoto seat fee 4960
Kyoto to Hiroshima seat fee 4170
Hiroshima to Tokyo seat fee 6500

Total 37014

Re: buy single journey railway ticket online 2024/1/17 17:00
H Guest
"plus 10% discount as over 600km"

Will i get this discount when purchasing tickets at the counter?

Re: buy single journey railway ticket online 2024/1/28 10:40
Piggybacking on this thread as I don't think I am 100% understanding the base ticket. I have watched that youtube (but still unable to fully understand it), so hopefully someone can help me with my question.

I am planning on making similar route
Tokyo --- Hiroshima ---- Tokyo, with plans to stop at Kyoto and Osaka.

Based on a few forums, its easier to make base at Kyoto, instead of changing hotels at Osaka. If I make numerous trip to and fro Osaka (from Kyoto), can I use the base ticket? Or do I purchase super express ticket each time i go over to Osaka?
by lemongrass (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: buy single journey railway ticket online 2024/1/28 11:48
Base fares can be purchased for longer distances and allow for stops along the way, but there are many rules, which are explained here:
https://youtu.be/Wol9TPqVl7w?si=NEkGjBJ9sd0wrvAB&t=324

As opposed to the base fare tickets, express supplement tickets need to be purchased for each section traveled. If you get on and off in between, you need to buy two.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 31 of 31
prev
1 2

reply to this thread