Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 37 of 37
prev
1 2

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2013/1/8 12:26
i also stationed at itazuke 1960 to 1964. i also raced motorcycles at itazuke and brady base.
by dennis barton (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2014/4/15 07:21
Hello,
I caught a military hop out of Fukuoka AP in '85.
A MAC terminal operated opposite of the commercial AP.
by CRLaRue (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2014/5/20 01:56
I was stationed at Itazuke from 1965 to 1967 at the Hospital Squadron. Fukuoka airport is the old Itazuke airfield which was several miles from the main base.
by Dennis Tates (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2015/10/2 06:24
I arrived at Itazuke, Base 1, late at night in July 1951 after flying for over 36 hours from Travis AFB in a Douglas C-54. I was a member of the 154th F/B Squadron of the 136th F/B Wing. Our aircraft were Republic F-84 Thunderjets.
Our aircraft were based at "The Strip" which was about 5 miles away via a very skinny dirt road which weaved it's way through rice paddies fertilized with "night soil." (Human excrement) A very smelly trip indeed, which we made 4 times each day.
After a few weeks, when our barracks were ready, we moved permanently to "The Strip" which is now Fukuoka International Airport. Mind you, this was during the Korean War so our accommodations were less than sumptuous.
In September of 1951 our wing moved over to Korea at K2 AFB just east of Taegu (now Daegu) to be closer to the fighting.

by Don Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2016/1/14 13:37
YES

i was not the first one born at the Base Hospital
but i was born there, October 4th 1954.
by George (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2016/1/15 11:56
I was stationed at Itazuki Air Base with the 802nd Engr Bn from October 1955 to September 1956. The Hqs was on west side of "the strip" (i.e., the airfield) but our barracks were on "the annex" several miles south. The present Fukuoka Int'l Airport is the old strip. They use the runways we built for B-29's (which were never there). The annex is now partly a Japanese housing area, a park and a Japanese Self-Defense Base. The old hospital is part of the base today. I was (still with the 802nd) then at Brady Air base/Camp Hakata (depending upon the major command being either Army or Air Force) from September 1956 to June 1957. This was near the town of Saitozaki and did not have an air strip. There was a small airfield a short distance towards Fukuoka which (I think) was also called Brady Air Base. My last visit to Brady/Hakata was in 1985. At the time it was being turned into a park and the only original building standing was the chapel. My last visit to the old Annex area was in 2004 and it was completely changed by then. Memories.....
by Jim White (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2016/1/15 13:05
PS: In spite of my use of "ki" and "ke" and in spite of the many websites one can find under "Itazuki," the correct spelling is "ITAKUKE." The correct pronunciation is not "ITAZUKEY" but "ITAZUKAY." For proof go to https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=Itazuke+Air+Base&tbm=isch&imgil=E1d3...

and read the signs over the gates.
Jim
by Jim White (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2016/1/19 09:32
Was stationed there temporarily in 1962/3 for three months at the Hakata anex with the ASA 14th Field Station, Army found out they made a mistake and shipped half of us out. I went to the PI Clark AFB.
by Fred (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2016/3/19 12:43
Yes it was.

In 1967-1969 I was stationed in the communications center at the 14th USASA Field Station Hakata, aka Brady administration annex of Itazukie AB, located on the peninsula between Gonasu adjoining the old Brady AB and Saitozake, across the bay from Fukuoka.

During WW2 it was a Japanese seaplane and PT Boat base, one of my scoutmasters was a Marine pilot and they used "Twin Txxxy Mountain" as a aiming point to strafe and rocket the base.

They fired the rockets first, as they did not want to be shot down with live rockets with them.

The old POW camp was still there next to Coal / Slag Mountain, and was used as Japanese housing.

The Grade School Principle had been a prisABoner there.

There was a submarine pen in Fukuoka which was not found until after the war, the subs had to submerge when going into the pens thus nothing could be seen from the air.

Watches some of the filming of "Tora Tora Tora" at Ashiya AB, about 20 miles North.

Great duty, Brady / Hakata is now a Martine Park, look at with Google Earth.
by Howard Hunt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2016/4/7 23:54
Absolutely yes! I was a Lt in the USAF assigned to the 610th AC&W Site 3 during Korea War 1952-3. The 527th Group HQ was at Itazuke AFB, east of Fukuoka city., and was our Air Defense control center.

610th and Site 3 base was near Saitozake, a fishing town near the harbor,
and adjacent to Army Camp Hakata. Our actual radar station was on a hilltop on the island of Shiganoshima, outside the harbor.

Our fighter-interceptor squadron flew out of "the strip", which is described below by someone else. It was also between Fukuoka and the sea, as close as possible to Korea and the strait.

My wife and I returned to Fukuoka in 2005. The International Airport is definitely the former Itazuke AFB. No question.
We were really surprised to see that there is no trace of the very extensive US military and air facilities that existed around Fukuoka during the Korea War. Everything is replaced by modern residential, commercial and recreational activities.
On the other hand, Iwakuni, further to the East near Shimonoseki and Moji, which then was a base for US and UK /Australian bombers, landbased and amphib, is now a major air base for USAF and USMC

If anyone reading this was there 1952-3, best wishes !
by Mike Wald (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2018/1/31 07:14
I don't know for sure, but entirely possible. I was stationed there in '60-'62 with the 1955th AACS squadron. Was housed at the living quarters area and rode the bus to the strip where our shop was located. Visited the K-bar and S-bar towns often, (right outside the base).
by galvan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2019/5/1 02:39
Yes! Our family was there 1962-64. I was a toe head blonde. Fascinating to the locals on the dencha.

Left for Webb AFB in Big Spring, TX for pilot school instructing in T 37 & T 38.
by HOWDY RUSSELL Jr (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2020/2/21 06:30
We were stationed at Camp Hakata from 1954 to 1556. We lived in a Japanese town several miles form the base for the first 8 months or so until we got base housing.

The paratroopers used to jump on the golf course many times they would be blown into the trees and roof tops.

Fukuoka wasn't any where as large as it is now. Made several trips to Itazuki during that time.
by Joseph A Lordi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2020/5/2 05:25
Very glad to have found this thread. My adoptive parents were stationed in Fukuoka from 1951 to 1954. I was born in Fukuoka and was placed in an orphanage that was near or affiliated with Itazuke Hospital. My parents are now gone, but I have so many photos of Fukuoka/Itazuke while they lived there when I was just a baby. Would love to learn about the area during that time (I was born in 1953). Trying to find out the name of the orphanage. We kept in touch with the gentleman who ran the orphanage until he passed away. He was also a professor at the university in Fukuoka. If you have any insight of that time, I would love to hear about it. Thank you.
by R M Bowen (guest) rate this post as useful

Looking for S-bar survivors 2021/3/6 06:29
I was stationed at Itazuke in 1967-68. Served in 1955 Comm Squadron. Played lots of sports including football. I would love to connect with anyone who served at Itazuki at that time, especially Mr. Kilgus, Mr. Best, Mr. Bagdon and Mr. Scott.
by T Texas Tyler (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2021/4/22 16:49
Japan Forum - Questions - Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base - Post a reply
tbqsrotdh http://www.gx1zchjr6px10q5u706c44zh16e5465os.org/
[url=http://www.gx1zchjr6px10q5u706c44zh16e5465os.org/]utbqsrotdh[/url]
<a href="http://www.gx1zchjr6px10q5u706c44zh16e5465os.org/">atbqsrotdh&...;
by tbqsrotdh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Fukuoka airport old Itazuki Base 2022/3/26 17:49
How do you do? The Japanese who lives in Fukuoka.

The present Itazuke air base remains and BradyAirBase remains are being introduced.

Please spread among the acquaintance's one.

(I can't speak English. All translation service is being used.)

https://www.instagram.com/kasugath2021/
by hiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 37 of 37
prev
1 2

reply to this thread