Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 28 of 28
prev
1 2

kaitenzushi 2007/8/19 06:30
If i were to go to a kaitenzushi, (maybe 118 yen a dish) would they expect me to use my hands or chopsticks?
by Miko rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/19 06:34
If you walk into a sushi place and you see everyone eating with chopsticks then you should eat it with chopsticks, if you walk in and see people just using their hands, then use your hands.

Just "go with the flow" of what everyone else is doing.
by John rate this post as useful

Don't worry about it 2007/8/19 08:26
Miko,

If i were to go to a kaitenzushi, (maybe 118 yen a dish) would they expect me to use my hands or chopsticks?

I don't think I have ever seen anyone eating sushi with their hands at a kaitenzushi place - except perhaps very young kids that haven't mastered chopsticks yet. But if you find using your hands easier, I don't think anyone would pay much attention.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

ai pain! 2007/8/19 13:19
Whew, I thought it was strange to have my hand hurt after using chopsticks for a while. I don't practice with chopstick because it hurts my hand. I even thought about if I went to Japan I would just take plastic fork with me everywhere I go, lol.
by Not only one rate this post as useful

gaikokujin 2007/8/19 16:19
if you aren't of asian descent, many japanese people (especially from older generations) don't expect you to know how to use chopsticks. In fact, if you're skilled at them and look western, you might get a few interested stares. They sometimes half expect you to use some other way of eating your food. It's kinda fun surprising them though.

Etiquette 2007/8/20 11:07
I was under the impression that a person should eat Sashimi with chopsticks and Nigiri with their fingers? Dipping the fish (not the rice because it would fall apart) into the soy sauce then eating. Would appreciate correction or clarification.
by Brad rate this post as useful

satire 2007/8/21 01:31
even though it is a satire and shouldn't be taken very seriously... there is some truth to these videos that might help clear things up, and bring a smile to your face too.
on sushi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIb6ZSqal64
on chopsticks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjuD52s0GBs

Sushi with chopsticks 2007/8/21 09:11
Brad,

I was under the impression that a person should eat Sashimi with chopsticks and Nigiri with their fingers?

Maybe that was true traditionally, but as I wrote earlier in the thread, in my experience, it is extremely rare to see people eating sushi with their fingers in Japan. (I've only ever seen it on TV.)
If you want to eat with your fingers, that's fine though. It wouldn't be considered bad manners, although people would probably assume it was because you were a foreigner and couldn't handle chopsticks rather than because you were trying to eat the traditional way.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 28 of 28
prev
1 2

reply to this thread