Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 38 of 38
prev
1 2

Rosetta Stone 2007/5/30 02:25
Rosetta stone is supposed to be the best system for learning a language, and they probably do more languages than any other "self-teach" program. I think it's mostly a CD-rom course. Unfortunately, it's also the most expensice system I've seen anywhere. the url is rosettastone.com
by Jeremy rate this post as useful

JapanesePod101 2007/6/11 18:32
If you're looking for a really great, free, practical program to learn, I highly suggest JapanesePod101. It's really useful and they update their content everyday. Especially check out their survival phrases.
by JayOhKay86 rate this post as useful

I hope this helps... 2007/6/12 16:08
I didn't really read through all of the other posts but, I am a self-learner. I belive that one of the best books out there is 'Elementary Japanese'. There are two volumes and each lesson is based on a weeks time. You learn the kana and a little over 300 of the basic kanji. It also comes with a CD with listening exercises and the dailog. The CD is useable with either MACs or PCs. I particularly like that since I own a MAC.
by Keely rate this post as useful

Japanese language tutor 2007/10/19 13:15
Hi!
Right now I am looking for a job related to Japanese language in Rockford, IL. I don't live there right now, but am going to move in July, 2008. I'd love to teach Japanese so much! I am not English native speaker but fluent in English. I've been studing Japanese for 5 years as a major at the University and 1 year in Japan. After getting married to Japanese man I lived in Japan for 2 years. So as you can see I could be a good tutor. Hopefully you are still looking for a tutor and could wait about a year.
by Lou rate this post as useful

Awesome! 2007/10/19 22:42
I am always looking for a good tutor! and to tell you the truth waiting a year would be perfect for me so I can concentrate on my Classes during the year.

I appreciate the offer very much, its Hard to find tutors/Classes in Rockford, IL at all, I found several a while back like in Chicago but thats too far for me to drive every day.

What Ill do is give you my email so when your in Rockford, IL send me an email and we can set something up.
by Brandon rate this post as useful

Great! 2007/10/21 21:27
Hi again!
Wow! I did not expected that you are still looking for a tutor! What a great news! So could you give me your e-mail address? Is it OK for you to write it here, on this forum?

Always looking 2007/10/22 12:20
lol, well I am always looking =)

But if you have a teaching degree I highly reccomend checking out the local college as well, They offer some foreign languages, and I know alot of people including myself that would love to have a course in Japanes.

Sadly I dont think we can post Emails in here, but if we can you can bet I will.

... 2007/10/22 13:08
you are welcome to post your own private email on the forum. However, if you would like some privacy I would recommend posting it as an ad in the classified section of the forum for language tutors here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/local/?aCAT=104
by admin rate this post as useful

Japanese language tutor 2007/10/24 10:36
Brandon, hi!
I submited my ad in "classifieds" in the category "Language tutors". I hope you'll find it. If not, let me know.
What are the colleges in Rockford that have Japanese classes?

In Rockford 2007/10/24 21:57
Lou,

There are no Colleges in Rockford that offer a class in Japanese (Sadly) but there is several in Chicago, and one at the Northern Illinois University in Dekalb (Bout 35-45 mins away from Rockford) but im sure if you went to the local college (Rock Valley College) they might offer a course in Japanese if you are willing to teach it =)

if there was a course at Rock Valley College rest assured I will take it.

question.... 2007/10/24 22:32
hi does anyone know of the name of the website where you can read news in japanese and if u dont know the kanji you can scroll over with your mouse and it tells you the meaning?? thanks
by cherrybaby rate this post as useful

Japanese language tutor 2007/10/25 06:37
Hi, Brandon!
Thank you for your advice. I will do this when we come to Rockford. Have you seen my ad in the "Classified"? I will appriciate if you send me your e-mail address. I think you will get mine when you click on the "send inquiry".

... 2007/10/26 00:39
cherrybaby, the site you want is called http://www.popjisyo.com
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Busy 2007/10/26 13:27
Lou,

I have not been able to look at the clasifields yet for your post, I have been busy with class the past couple days, but when I get the chance I will do so =)

Tutoring 2007/11/28 09:34
Hey! Does anyone know where i could find japanes tutors or where i could start learning japanese privatly? I live near chicago...
by Valeckaite rate this post as useful

tutoring 2007/12/4 13:55
Hi! I am going to move to Rockford in August 2008.I have been learning Japanese for 5 years in my university and 1 year in Japan. My husband is Japanese and we speak it at home. So I am very fluent in Japanese. I would love to be a tutor for anybody who wants to study Japanese. Is Rockford close to the place you live? Could you wait until August?
There is my ad on "Classified". If you are interesed please take a look.

Use various methods 2008/11/28 11:13
I've been mostly self-teaching for the last 8 months. I find it's good to mix it up.

For basic grammar and sentence structure, get a textbook. I recently bought "Japanese for Busy People". I like it; it doesn't teach a ton of new vocabulary, but it immediately starts teaching useful things to know, such as telling time and buying things.

I find the best method for learning kanji is by reading manga and making flashcards. Since the kanji are subtitled in hiragana, you can look the words up in your dictionary. I've learned 800 kanji so far!

Being able to understand spoken Japanese is important as well, so I would recommend either audio cds or talking with someone who speaks Japanese (try the language exchange!). Rosetta Stone is probably a good one for this--I use Rosetta Stone for Spanish and I think it's great. It is quite costly though, so don't think you need it.

All in all, I would suggest getting the basics down using a textbook, and then practicing on a Japanese speaker. In my experience they are very kind and willing to help. They are my best resource for learning natural ways of saying things, and of course also very helpful for when I just can't find a word in the dictionary!

Good luck!
by Lauren rate this post as useful

Immersion is best 2008/12/12 22:30
I agree with the person who said immersion. Read as much kana as possible. If you don't read some every day, you slowly start to forget. I taught myself kana 11 years ago, and just today I forgot the katakana for "ku"!

Do you think you could go to Japan briefly? That helped me a lot. It forced me to actually speak Japanese to Japanese people. If not, try going to Japantown in San Francisco or the Japancentre in London or wherever it is that you live closest to.
by Maneki_neko rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 38 of 38
prev
1 2

reply to this thread