Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 6: Posts 21 - 40 of 101
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6
next

No prob 2005/12/21 11:30
I'm 193 cm (6'4''), male. Sure I'm taller than most people here in Japan, but I was at home too. I've never had a problem with it. People comment about it a lot, but only in a positive way. As a foreigner, you will stick out anyway. Actually, it's quite convenient to b able to see above everyone in crowded places. Buying clothes is about the only problem.
by T rate this post as useful

OMGGGG LOL :p 2005/12/21 15:03
I'm quiet worried from all your answers actually. So average 'tall' height is around 6-6'5 then. How about a 7'2 Filipino-Spanish? :(

Man if you all are tall over there, then what am I? a giant? lol well I think i'll diffenately stand out from the crowd and hit my head on things alot more than most of you when I get to Japan next April...

God help me :p
by Ricky rate this post as useful

anone.. 2005/12/21 16:27
5'9" is not that tall, it's sort of tall if you're a girl especially with heels, then you'll be over 6'.
For a dude, it's not a big deal.
by cc rate this post as useful

I think can depend... 2005/12/22 01:09
...on where you live in some cases. I`m a black chick that`s about 183 cm. In Tokyo I've come across many tall females, some taller than me (all of them foreign though). I don't think I get stared at some as much in Tokyo compared to when I was in Okayama for a week (a group of high school girls actually followed me around because they thought I was a basketball player).
by Banna rate this post as useful

... 2005/12/22 04:56
I am 2.10m tall, during all my stays in Japan (7 times), I was 'admired' for my height. Sometimes, Japanese families even wanna take a photo of me (together with them). I got a lot of "oh's" and "ah's" which was very funny, in particulary when I entered a bus, subway, train or restaurant. Only small kids were sometimes a little afraid of me. On my second trip to Japan I met a Japanese girl in Kyoto who was 1.93m, and we became very good friends. So 1.75m isn't that tall, in my country (Norway) it's even far below average!
by 2.10m rate this post as useful

. 2005/12/22 07:16
187, no problems. Why do people make such a big deal about the height thing, there really is little difference between Japan and the UK in terms of height variation.
by . rate this post as useful

What about the short guys? 2005/12/30 11:57
I'm turning 17 and I'm 5'4'' and I'm a guy. Hope I can grow taller =O
by Some Guy rate this post as useful

you won't feel too tall! 2006/1/7 06:36
I'm about 5'10" and lived in Japan for three years. Sure, when I went out in heels, I'd get a few looks - but the blonde hair and blue eyes didn't help me there either! Most Japanese are starting to get taller anyway, thanks to a more western diet, and when those girls are wearing 5" platform boots, I didn't feel so huge anymore! Plus, I haven't been there in six years, so I'm sure there are even more taller Japanese, not to mention a large population of Europeans and Americans in the larger cities...
by cmc rate this post as useful

It doesn't matter! 2006/1/15 20:41
Hey everyone

For some stupid reason I was concerned about this before I went to Japan - which is idiotic of me and perhaps just a bit racist (like the Japanese don't have tall people!).

I am a 6'8" male (just over 2 meters). I had no more difficulties or problems in Japan than I do here in the UK. Everyone I met was great, people are either too polite to mention your height or genuinely don't care (which is more than can be said for people in my country at times).

Really, it doesn't matter how tall or short you are, just go and have fun! My time in Japan was the best holiday of my life - the people I met were lovely!
by Ben rate this post as useful

My penpal 2006/1/15 21:00
My J-pen pal told me once, "I like tall man!" I was very amused, indeed.
by kaoru neko rate this post as useful

To Tanzeel, 14 year old tall guy 2006/2/8 14:20
Tanzeel, although you feel very tall now at 14, just know that as an adult you'll like your height. My husband grew 6 inches in one summer when he was 15, going into 9th grade. He is 6 feet 2 inches now, and since I'm short, I can always find him in a crowded subway full of shorter Japanese people. It is a good thing to be tall! His aunt and uncle are only about 5 feet 7 inches tall, and they had 6 children together. Their first child, a boy, is 5 feet 3 inches tall, and their sixth child, also a boy, is 6 feet 7 inches tall. Sometimes our height comes from people other than our parents, like grandparents, uncles, great uncles, etc. The important thing to remember is that you only have a few more years to feel "too tall". When you are in college, you will love it. College girls and women love tall men. By the way, tall men love tall women, too. Be happy with who you are!!!!
by Lisa rate this post as useful

why is sticking out a bad thing? 2006/3/1 07:35
If you're 6'5, enjoy it man don't be afraid. So what if people look at you.

I'm 6'3 and I'll be in Japan next fall for school. I'm not terribly worried about sticking out. Actually the fact that I have shoulders like a linebacker will probably make me stick out more than my height will.
by Jeff D rate this post as useful

Am I one of the tallest Japanese women? 2006/8/4 16:43
I just skimmed through the posts and I am thankful that I live in North America. Even living here I am taller than some men and have only met a few women taller than me. I am 5 foot 10.5. Three of my past north american non asian boyfriends were shorter than me. I'm planning to work in Japan and I'm guessing I can't fit into anything considering I have a large bone structure and a lot of muscle. I have never met a taller Asain woman than me.
by eiko rate this post as useful

To the tall younger people 2006/8/7 00:39
It might be awkward at 14 or 15 to be so tall, but in a few years it'll be fine. Believe me, as an adult you'd rather be closer to 6 feet than 5. I'm like 5'6", and all I know is that I wouldn't mind being 6'2". But at least in Japan I'll be closer to normal height, although nowadays probably even a little short.
by Pat rate this post as useful

Aliens have landed. 2006/8/7 09:29
I'm 6'6'', and get stares even in my home Australia now and again.

I have found that in Asian countries it can be used as a good icebreaker. You get stares, a joke gets made and everyone smiles and it's all good.

Just accept it's gonna happen, but don't take it personally. You're a strange alien creature to them.
by emjoi rate this post as useful

Tall people 2006/8/7 13:26
I'm surprised there hasn't been much mention of the main difficulty for tall people in Japan, whether Japanese or foreign- clothes and shoes. I'm 176cm and have lived here 8 years. My US shoe size is 8.5 and there are only a very few shops that sell women's shoes that size- most stop at 7 or 7.5. Men's shoes don't go much above a 9.

I also have a hard time buying trousers/pants with long enough legs, and tops with long enough sleeves- I'm limited to Zara and Benetton, even Gap clothes are too short (I have particularly long arms and legs.)

I occasionally hit my head on the doorframe at an old house and anyone taller than me will be ducking to get into many trains and subways, but it's just part of being tall.

It's very useful for seeing long distances in crowds and being able to breathe on crowded trains, and the Japanese generally admire tall people.

My husband is Japanese, and we're exactly the same height- he's pretty average height for a Japanese guy his age.

by Sira rate this post as useful

kids are tall 2006/8/30 15:29
i lived in japan for a homestay and i am 14.i am about 160 centimetres and i am one of the smaller kids in class.the tallest in my class was about 186 centimetres. I think that sometimes japanese kids are quite taller then north americans.this might have to do with the amount the children eat.I had a friend who ate like 10 bowls of rice everyday!
by hikaru rate this post as useful

LOL 2006/10/16 09:30
most of my class is over 6 feet tall i feel like a midgit white boy.
by liker rate this post as useful

Height 2006/10/16 11:12
I am 6'3 or 189cm (about). I'm pretty sure I will be considered tall in Japan, but I was wondering if they take "size" into account? I'm 220/lbs (100/kg) though i'm not fat or round, will I be to large or considered a giant?
by Mack rate this post as useful

6 2006/10/16 22:37
I'm 6'3, and 130kgs...
i get told im big anywhere i go.. Just have fun with how some Japanese React... Its like awe struck... haha..
It does become a problem when you are traveling with a few people, and trying to stay somewhere.. they just go, nope too big... you wont fit..

its true though.. i wouldnt :P
by Wesley rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 6: Posts 21 - 40 of 101
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6
next

reply to this thread