Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 25 of 25
prev
1 2

Advice on 14 Day Japan Rail Pass 2007/8/12 13:53
Hi! I plan on visiting Japan for 14 nights and was wondering if a 14 Day Japan Rail Pass would be worth it for the following itinerary:

-First Week-
Arrival: Kansai International Airport (KIX)
Base of operation: Kyoto
Places I will visit: Kyoto (and all its various districts), Uji, Nara, Koya-san, Himeji

-Second Week-
Arrival: Tokyo via shinkansen from Kyoto
Base of operation: Tokyo
Places I will visit: Tokyo (and all its various districts), Hakone, Nikko, possibly Kamakura

I know that there are a lot of private rail lines we can use and that will probably be preferable at times, so I was wondering if the rail pass would be worth it. Please let me know if I need to be more specific. Thanks!
by Roy rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/12 14:04
14 Day JR pass no, a 7 day JR pass possibly: assuming you leave Kyoto to Tokyo and return to Kyoto within a 7 Day period.
by John rate this post as useful

JR Pass 2007/8/12 22:32
I just returned from a two week trip to Japan where I used a 7 day JR pass. I activated the pass on Aug. 1 and used it to travel from Tokyo - Kyoto - Osaka - Tokyo. I was also able to use the pass for a couple more days for unlimited travel to various hotspots around Tokyo.

After calculating the costs of the local JR trains I used in Tokyo, after returning from Kansai, I came out about even. I would like to mention, though, that the ease of using a JR pass made the pass 20 times more valuable. I would simply show the pass to the gate attendant and I was on my way. I never waited in a line and I didn't have to fumble through the mass of Japanese swarming toward the gates.

Good luck.
by Mike rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/13 04:38
I always found the JR pass to not be an ease for that very reason, because you had to show it to an agent. Not all train station exits are manned by someone, just by gates, so you might have to make the long way around to find a staff gate, then often times at busy stations there's 10+ automatic gates but only 1 manned booth and that booth is squashed by other passengers with questions from both directions (people going in and people going out).

So on those points I would disagree it makes it 20 times more valuable because I certainly wouldn't pay for a 14 day JR pass if all I needed was a 7 day JR pass, and I wouldn't pay for a 7 day JR pass if all I needed was a one way ticket.
by John rate this post as useful

Toshimaen Amusement Park 2007/8/15 08:48
In relation to the trains, what would be the best way to get to the Toshimaen Amusement Park in Nerima-ku from the Tokyo Station? Is there a main train that goes by or would I be going to one station and than taking another bus to the waterpark?
by Dominic rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 25 of 25
prev
1 2

reply to this thread