Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 28 of 28
prev
1 2

Re: Winter Visitor 2008/1/11 05:37
Well not only that, but this is kind of a rare trip for me. I don't mind spending the money for the pass if it's going to enable me to see places like Miyajima. True, I hadn't intended to go there before I knew I could do it with the pass and the shinkansen, but now that I have it as an option, it's something I would really like to do.

Plus, it isn't going to kill me to spend 2 extra minutes at the terminal waiting to get out, should that even come up. My biggest concern is being able to do as much as I would like in the time I have. The JR pass just seems like it will help with that.
by Kay rate this post as useful

Miyajima 2008/1/11 06:57
On our latest trip to Japan we went to Hiroshima just because we couldn't find a room, for the first few days of our trip, in our favorite hotel in Kobe(we actualy changed our plans at the last minute based on the hotel availbilite). We bought a 4 days JR West Sanyo pass after landing and got our money worth out of it by going straight from Kansai airport to Hiroshima and by going to Fukuoka for a day trip a couple days later, not to mention commuting daily from Hiroshima to our hotel in the suburbs of Hiroshima. I too hadn't planned to go to Miyajima as I am warry of "must see" places. well..I really loved it!.Not just the shrine..definitely a great sight(we were lucky as the tide was high) but just walking in the village away from the touristy path (I love lookin a ordinary houses, the way a sliver of land becomes a garden or a tight parking spot etc.)we were even followed by a fawn along a couple of streets... I too agree that passes are worth it, even if the price is slightly more than the price of individual tickets (so far we always have got our money worth, and then some). For the rest of our trip, in the Kansai, we bought discounted tickets for various local railways but that's another story.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/11 07:15
This is one argument I keep hearing from other folks, but its really a myth that the JR Pass helps one reserves a seat over people who don't have a JR pass.

If someone reserves a seat, they get it before you, no matter if you had a JR pass or not. It is first come first serve for seat reservations. Having a JR pass doesn't put anyone in the priority setting for seat reservations, nor is there a set number of seats set aside just for JR pass users, and vice versa, just because someone is paying for a seat reservation doesn't put them in a priority over someone who has a JR pass. Whoever gets it first, gets it first.
At least when it comes to ordinary cars, green cars might be the last to fill out so you might have a chance there, but even green cars on peak holidays all seats are reserved.

Again I'm not saying the JR pass is bad, a 7 say one is certainly good for this trip (which I have been consistantly saying).
by John rate this post as useful

Reserved Seats 2008/1/12 02:08
I think the mistake you're making is right there in your latest reply, John. No one is making any "arguments." People are making suggestions and offering advice. That's a discussion. So far nearly every reply you've posted has been contentious in some way. You don't have to keep reminding us of what you've said before. This isn't a battle.

Sensei 2: It probably sounds silly, but the deer were a major influence on my decision to visit Miyajima. Among the many other reasons. But they were part of it.

Since I'll be going during Golden Week, does that mean I might have trouble getting a seat on ANY part of the shinkansen? The actual two dates I will be using that train are the 1st of May and either the 3rd or 4th.

Golden week 2008/1/12 04:14
you should be OK if you book your trips as soon you arrive in Japan, especially from Tokyo to Kyoto, the longest stretch. Otherwise you might have to stand. It is hard to say as 1)yes it get rather crowded 2)they add more trains at that time 3)it depends on the time of the day. If that can make you feel better, many years ago my company moved me to Germany for a while. On holidays I took trains from Stuttgard to Paris then down to Toulouse. An all nighter standing all the way..both ways..
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Just a little hint, 2008/1/12 04:47
Purchase the rail pass voucher when the exchange rate is favorable.

I just purchased one today (1 Week/Green) and it was $344.00USD (JPY 109). If I had purchased it at the beginning of December, I would have saved almost $40.00.

I think you have up to 60 days to exchange the rail pass voucher once you purchase it. I'm not too sure so check before making the purchase.
by Lacalifusa rate this post as useful

Standing 2008/1/12 04:52
Well I'm going to be leaving Tokyo fairly early on the 1st, so hopefully that will help. Also, I'll be stopping in Hakone for a few hours, and then taking the shinkansen as well for the remainder of the trip to Kyoto. I didn't anticipate that I would arrive at my hotel in Kyoto before ten p.m. or so. I made sure to let them know this when I booked my room.

Honestly I'm not as worried about Golden Week making travel busy for me as much as I'm worried I won't see and experience as much around Tokyo because it will be empty.

. 2008/1/12 06:53
I think the mistake you're making is right there in your latest reply, John. No one is making any "arguments." People are making suggestions and offering advice. That's a discussion. So far nearly every reply you've posted has been contentious in some way. You don't have to keep reminding us of what you've said before. This isn't a battle.

Maybe I used incorrect wording, but a lot of insueing that the JR pass gives one an advantage in reserving seats, especially during peak hours, these are from the thread.

I'm just saying don't get an assumption that it has any advantage in reserving seats during peak,b usy periods:
Maybe not for YOU, but for other readers.

it's often very convenient to use the (free) facility that your pass gives you to reserve seats (shinkansens can be very busy at peak times
----
It was also really useful to reserve seats (for free) when you're travelling over busy periods.

And that one was part of a response from another poster about getting a JR pass even if it was not advantagous price wise, if that isn't an argument I don't know what is.

I have nothing against the JR Pass, its good for YOU in your case. I'm just saying its not always advantagous.
by John rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 28 of 28
prev
1 2

reply to this thread