Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 5: Posts 21 - 40 of 100
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

Check it out! 2006/10/30 23:39
Listen, I'm not really planning on being a manga artist but I plan on my occupation having something to do with japanese anime. What you should do is get an interview with a manga artist and talk about the different posiblities. I also look up to Masashi Kishimoto and am a big fan and maybe you should talk to someone more expeirenced. Seeing as I've got absolutly no clue what I'm talking about.
by Hill Billy Bob rate this post as useful

Good Luck! 2006/11/6 18:10
Hey there, I have the same dreams, and well I'm already living them out ^_^ I already have the living in Japan thing, and it was relatively cheap too! Find a "Bekka Ryu Gakusei" program, basically a special international student program to study in Japan. These programs help you learn Japanese and prepare you for Japanese universities. I'm paying around 1.5k US dollars a semester, which you can get scholarships a plenty for studying abroad. I also only pay around $300 for an apartment (shared, but I get my own room). I plan to finish this program by next year and try out some of the manga universities nearby. Most Manga schools have no problems with foreign students, as long as you can speak fluent Japanese, which you would probably have to, to pass the entrance exam. I think my drawing style is just fine, I mean I don't want to be cocky or anything. I know if I go to a manga school, lots of doors will open, I could proabbly find a manga assitant job easily, maybe even get the hook-ups I need. Coincidentally my boyfriend is Japanese, so I guess having a Japanese partner for support always help lol. He can check all my grammatical errors :P ANYTHING is possible. Just because your a gaijin doesn't mean anything, you might have to work a little harder, but you can do it!
by Jitensha rate this post as useful

Fine 2006/11/8 08:21
To say that manga belongs to Japan or that only Japanese manga artists are the only ones that produce good manga would be like saying rock music is America's alone and that Yahoo! is the only good email messenger on the net.Yeah, Japanese is recognized as the grandfather of manga, but manga certainly doesn't belong to them; if it did, they never would have released it to the rest of the world. I for one would like to see a nice western manga. Sure, learning Japanese and knowing all the whats and what-nots would be nice, but I never looked in the rule book and read that only Japanese people should write manga or produce good manga. And the sad thing is: the ones who are putting this guy down (not all of you)are mainly those of the "otaku" subculture and think they know everything about Japan and what comes from it. John, if you want to write manga, then go for it. Make both Japanese and western artist prousd of your work.
by MX rate this post as useful

Tokyo Pop 2006/11/8 09:14
Firstly, can you draw WELL. Which includes placement and porportians.
You might want to start off with something such as Tokyo Pop.
by Mila rate this post as useful

Are We Twins? 2006/11/18 10:21
oh my goodness! i know how you feel. i have a few great number of comics of my own that many people have said are great, but i don't know how to get noticed. i not only love Kishimoto's work but i really love Akira Toriyama. but back to the point. since we're both dealing with the same problem the best thing you should do is keep drawing. you've got to pray for it like i do and then the next thing you know you and i will be famous because you have to see yourself as a mangaka and imagine people watching your cartoon. you'll soon live it!!!!!!!! much love and luck!!
by Kwenela Tubbs rate this post as useful

ROCK ON!!!! 2006/11/26 07:00
I'm an American, and I've the same exact ambition. *Gasp* Maybe we were seperated at birth or something!

The only western manga I've ever seen was Peach Fuzz and that manga with a fast-food joint called McBurgerQueen (the creator of THAT one won Tokopop's Rising Starts of Manga... maybe you will, too!)

Not sure about the MBQ one, but Peach Fuzz? That's an insult to aspiring American manga-kas everywhere.

However, everyone's pretty much said the same stuff. Try moving to Japan. Learn the language, maybe become an assistant to a manga-ka. Practice practice practice.

It'll take lots of hard work, and manga is alot like being an artist or actor- you're lucky if you become one, and blessed if you're successful.

But go to Tokyopop's website, because they're nice and might accept your story.
by xasswuwe rate this post as useful

a dream.. 2007/5/20 04:40
I am only 12. I all ready plan to become a manga artist and everything..I'll do whatever it takes! I am going to move to Japan and everything,.. if it doesn't happen..well...at least I tried..
by the anime queen rate this post as useful

dreams.. 2007/5/20 04:42
I hopw your dreams come true...
by the anime queen rate this post as useful

awesome dream 2007/5/22 13:46
like many others have states it's gonna be hard I'm currently working on my own manga and I hope to see you in the market! but I tell you this don't take CRAP from some people who tell you it's a stupid dream (jeff) for instance you know the guy that commented earlier?
by yumi kaito rate this post as useful

International Manga Award 2007/5/22 19:49
by Anne rate this post as useful

you can do it 2007/11/7 09:18
you of course have to find a job in japan and after graduation if you can find youself your own office.you then post most of your art every where.enter contests and get your supplies!heh i follow your dream also'everyone in the fan art never makes their art exactly the same!grr i always look foward for meeting poeple that can draw exactlcy what they see...i'm so lonely!i look through every fanart but i know your the type to draw extactly.please make your manga!
by blossom rate this post as useful

i need help to 2007/11/13 21:37
I have the SAME goal and need help getting story ideas and being published and all that stuff i also want to be an animator
by mangamartialartist rate this post as useful

STOP IT 2007/11/14 01:48
WHAT IS WITH ALL THESE IDIOTS THINKING THEY CAN ACCOMPLISH THIS GOAL?
Better yet, why do you people try and help? Most of you probably know that they don't have a prayer. Tell them the truth; don't encourage the weeaboos.
by Aizen rate this post as useful

Me too 2007/11/24 00:41
I have the same dream and passion to become a manga artist .

I would start practicing read and writing japanese then move to Japan. Send your rough drafts and some of your work to a manga magazine publisher.

You can also be an assistant for practicing. Manga artists are ALWAYS needing help (well most of the time ^^').

And remember you don't have to be japanese to be a mangaka .

Goodluck and maybe I will be seeing your work being published soon.
by Catherine rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/24 10:57
Ya know, I share a similar dream, except for music, but like my industry, yours falls into the same problems. Because it is almost never ever accomplished (not saying it's not possible) much less even talked about, it's very hard to get accurate information. First off, I have to tell you straight up. it's not easy. it's hard. VERY hard. Japanese laws/diplomatics are becoming real dicks to foreigners. I mean, the people are cool, but the laws are the killers. Not only that, since the industry you want to get into, as well as my own, is already being heavily pursued by Japanese nationals, it'll make it even MORE hard, because of excess compitition. You know, I don't know how many times I've heard your dream (as well as mines) recited. Everyone talks the talk, but 99% of them don't walk the walk. Why? Well, there could be various reasons. One could be that they're already established in their home country. they have a job, girlfriend, debts, etc. or maybe they figured that it's not worth the stress because they found out it's not as easy as they thought it would be. That alone gets rid of about 50% (the number is rising because people are getting lazier as time goes on) of the wannabes. What I'm trying to say is, do very very in depth research. But...after a while, you'll learn that trying to search any industry outside of teaching in Japan, is going to be very difficult. Our industries are the type of industry where you just gotta go out there and see what works and what doesn't. It's one of those things that you have to experience on your own. But...one thing you must realize, is that you must want it. You must want it so bad, that you'd be willing to do anything to achieve your goal. Even if that means being subject to anal probing which they now enforce in Japan to all foreigners wishing to enter their country, as well as photograph and finger printing. Basically, you have to be pretty damn desperate. in fact, you almost have to give up most of your life to research and inproving your skill. Remember, you must always ask yourself, and honestly answer this question;

"What do I have that I can offer to Japanese companies that they cannot take from one of their own?"

Ask yourself this over and over. If you cannot come up with an answer, or your answer is bogus ("because I'm good" or something), then you are not ready to go there yet. Once you can get a legitimate answer to that question, then you can start contemplating things. Also, please remember that originality is very important. It's great to idolize someone (I idolize many music artists), but it's very very important that you create your own style. Don't try to be like someone else. Don't let the fact that if they say it's good, then it's good, or vice versa, decide your career. You have to like your own work with true love, not just "i'm so good" love. You have to honestly be able to look at your work and say "This is very nice". If you have low self-esteem, or you're hella self-conscious, then don't even consider a career like this. You also have to be willing to take critisism. Remember, a lot of people might like you, but not everyone is going to like you. You know what? You should not really worry about the actual manga industry itself. I've learned that it's much more practical to just do research on the Japanese economy and diplomatics. The manga industry is, whether you want to believe it or not, is an industry strongly based on luck. You have to be in the right place at the right time, and you have to have the right mindframe. So it's better to work on your skills and do research on things like visas, real estate, the economy, taxes, your connections with America when you leave, your basic rights as an alien in a foreign country. These things are more important. If you can, stop by the Japanese counsulate, or if you're lucky, visit the Embassy in Washington DC. Also, try to find loopholes in the law, or places where the law is more flexible. But let's face it you DO need to speak Japanese, written and spoken. At least enough to communicate clearly. You should be able to ask more complex questions like "How do you use the .7mm lead pencil get that special shading effect?" or "Does the spray can have to be shaken, or can I just point and spray?". And you must be able to answer these questions should they be posed towards you. Also, you should be able to support a full conversation, so I'd say you'd just have to be near fluent. Also, since you want to get into manga, you have to know at least half of the tens of thousands of onomonopoeias that there are such as ƒhƒJƒ“ (dokan). Do you know what that means? If not, you have some work to do. So, honestly, learning Japanese and your skill of trade is, in itself, a full-time job. So if you already have dedications such as a full-time job, it's better to just stay and keep manga as a hobby. It's better if you're in high school and/or you don't have as much obligations. Just keep trying and believe in your abilities. Try to find as many contests as you can, and enter them. And if you have a few bucks to spare, make some copies of your manga and sell it on the steets. That's a good way to get some attention.

Good Luck!
by Reita rate this post as useful

here's some good ideas 2008/3/9 08:00
i also have the same aspiration, and i think it's important to be able to read and speak japanese almost perfectly, and also to have a good story. honestly, it doesnt seem that the way you draw is very important, as you as you're able to draw it. also, i think you should be able to work with pressure and little sleep, and procrastinating isnt good, because when those deadlines come you have to meet them. you should also try making american comics first, because that will probably look good to a japanese publisher( especially if you end up getting known in japa for your comic.)
and most importantly, dont rush it. take your time gaining a reputation, and you'll probably be more successful.

here are some good links to read
http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=1016
http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=1366
by animelover rate this post as useful

Sooooo yea 2008/3/30 01:41
Does anybody have any questions about Manga/ANime I can answer? I'm really bored and I like helping people! So Cha just type something...

BYE!
by Okari Kurana rate this post as useful

Praise through the Internet? 2008/5/18 19:05
Hey!!! It's a pretty cool dream but very hard to achieve. I also wanted to become a manga artist, but like you i lack speaking japanese n writing it. This is just a suggesstion but you could get fans through teh internet then apply for assisstant positions in japan. Art sites such as deviantart.com are great for getting your artwork known to international audiences. If you do make it to the big stage, you can recieve feedback on your work from this site and see if its popular or not.
Ganabare (try your hardest)!! Good luck hope to read your manga
by Blaise rate this post as useful

make friends 2008/5/19 01:36
As for the problem with not speaking the language, make good friends with translators or people that speak japanese well that are willing to help you. They can either teach you the language or if they are translators they can just translate your manga for you. But don't expect them to do it for absolutely nothing, especially if they are a translator. They need to get some type of compensation.
by Ameee rate this post as useful

The Reality of Being a Manga Artist... 2008/5/24 13:45
I hate being one to say "You can't do it", but to encourage you is really just as bad.

The harsh reality of becoming a manga artist is that passion, talent, and hard work is not

enough to make it in this industry. You say you love anime and manga and have an awesome

manga story, and that you're truly passionate about it. Well, so do a million other people.

To say and to want is one thing. Just because you want something so badly and is willing to

do anything for it doesn't mean someone will deliver your heart's desire on a silver

platter. (Take America's Next Top Model for example. All the contestants want to win so

badly, but in the end they still get cut.)

It's even harder for a foreigner to succeed in Japanese manga. There are different art

styles from different kinds of people. Japanese manga artists draw differently than Korean

or Chinese or Taiwanese manga artists, even though they are all Asian. So an American style

will obviously be very different than an authentic Japanese manga style. The problem for

foreigners in breaking into the Japanese manga industry is that Americans draw comics, not

manga. Few (if any, at all) make it into the industry because of their drawing style. And

because of this, white manga artists are as much of a joke as white rappers. Black people

can rap, while most white people can't. Why? Simply because of their voice and accents. But

that is not to say that white people can't succeed at all. Look at Eminem. It is the same

with a manga artist: you can draw, but you can't draw the way a Japanese artist draws.

It is not only the language barrier. Even if you learn Japanese and become fluent, becoming

a manga artist means tight deadlines. Mangas in Japan are published in weekly serial

magazines, meaning a manga artist only has a week (sometimes less!) to plan, write, sketch,

draw, ink, and tone a manga chapter around 20 pages. This is why so many manga artists hire

multiple assistants; most manga artists just think of the story and draw the manga. Toning

and drawing backgrounds are given to the assistants to finish.

To give you an idea of just how much work this is, this is a typical week for a manga

artist working for a serial magazine:

Day 1: Think of storyline, plot chapter.
Day 2: Discuss storyline and ideas with editor and make changes if necessary.
Day 3: Draw the draft sketches of the chapter and discuss with editor.
Day 4-5-6: Ink and tone final copy.
Day 7: If you're lucky, you'll make the deadline and get a day of rest. If not, then you'll

be working still.

This is how tight a deadline is for a manga artist. Editors don't care just how much talent

you got if you can't make deadlines. To them, what good is a talented artist if they can't

produce work on a regular basis? Editors would rather accept artists that are less talented

but can meet deadlines, so they can at least publish something. No editor is going to just

wait around for a manga artist, despite how good they are, to finish their work. They have

a serial magazine to worry about. How could they publish a weekly serial if it takes a

manga artist 3 weeks to finish one chapter?

Lastly, most foreigners want to become manga artists because they are seduced by the

dazzling world of anime and manga. As such, they disillusion themselves to think that as

long as they learn Japanese and can draw manga, they can succeed in the industry.

Sorry, but fat chance of that ever happening.
by Sweetsong rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 5: Posts 21 - 40 of 100
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

reply to this thread