Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 26 of 26
prev
1 2

good insights 2009/1/27 08:36
Hi again Uco

you just said that a lot of employees end up getting a 'certain' percentage of their salary even when they are sick for a long time. does that mean a third party such as a social security organization takes over to pay the rest?

i liked the insight you gave as to why some employees at some companies take less time off than others, so i understand the philosophy better now. i guess it does make sense that when a company has been working very hard for decades, working less all of a sudden could slow it down. however, even if some employees love to work, in retrospect, maybe companies should organize a few times year where employees could take some time off anyway, blow off some steam, and then come back to the company and be more productive than before. something like those forced 2 week holidays that you talked about after 10 years of service at a company, but instead 10 years, do it once every year or so. just my humble opinion, i dont know if it would work though.

it was also interesting to learn how even family members from different generations have a different view on work ethics.

so it didn't surprise you that i've lived in japan? why's that if i may ask? well, i would say i am quite young. young, but curious. but i can assure you that i am not a geek of any sort. i have certain opinions and impressions, and i like to voice them on the forum and get into a friendly discussion to see what others think. and i would in fact be very delighted to see others prove me wrong! thats how i can grow and broaden my horizons.

as for the crisis in belgium, belgium had elections in june of 2007, but it wasnt until march 2008 that a govenrment was finally formed. until that time, the prime-minister-elect tried to negotiate with the opposition to form a government, but failed at it several times. so from june 2007 until march 2008 belgium practically had no government. whats more, the prime minister resigned in december 2008. a lot of people found him incompetent as prime minister. thats basically what the crisis was about.

however, moving away from politics, belgium has yet again managed (unfortunately) to make it in the international press. just a few days ago a 20-year old man went on a killing spree and murdered two babies and one woman in a creche while wounding several other babies as well. i dont know if anything has been said about this issue in japan,
but the news definitely made it to cnn.

Sira, ok, i think you are right that because there are no laws doesnt mean that come companies dont pay their workers sick leave. but perhaps those companies are a minority. i was thinking that if there are no laws on a certain topic, why would companies go out of their way to make more expenses.

Red frog, thats a whole lot of holidays you have got! 7 weeks is almost inconceivable.
by macmac (guest) rate this post as useful

reply 2009/1/27 12:59
"does that mean a third party such as a social security organization takes over to pay the rest?"

I'm not sure. I guess it depends on the company and the case. As suggested by other posters, not having a law merely means that there is no lawful force. In reality, many organization offer rights to their employees in one way or another even though they are not forced by the government or law.

"if there are no laws on a certain topic, why would companies go out of their way to make more expenses."

Because an organization that is easy to work at will attract better employees! Mind you, lots of companies also have private resorts, discounts and various compensation for their employees and their families! I never paid for many of the gorgeous hotels I stayed at when I was taking vacation from a certain company.

"(long vacation) do it once every year or so. just my humble opinion, i dont know if it would work though."

It's already being done, and it's working. It just depends on the organization or person or case. That's what I meant previously.

"so it didn't surprise you that i've lived in japan? why's that if i may ask?"

I thought I already told you. You are not a rare example, that's all. And I didn't say you are a geek.

"just a few days ago a 20-year old man went on a killing spree and murdered two babies and one woman in a creche while wounding several other babies as well."

A few days ago? I'm afraid I don't recall seeing the news on TV nor the major Japanese newspapers I read. But sadly, there is so much crime going on in the world that they can't squeeze all of them into the local media. Do people in Belgium know about the mass-murder in Akihabara they had last year? More importantly, do they know that Japan is working hard to find the many civilians who were abducted in their youth in the 80s by North Korea?

On a related note, I previosly wrote that Japan is unique, but still I don't think Japan is in a "weird bubble." Japan is just as unique as the U.S. or Italy are. Every nation is unique in it's own way.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

stuff 2009/1/27 17:53
Actually it is 7 1/2 weeks... stretched to 8 weeks by breaking it (this is compulsory) into 3-4 or even 5 chunks and adding some statutory holidays. BUT I have 25 year seniority.. AND I don't get replaced by a full time staff when I am off. My manager do some of my work and I do some of hers when she is away. Other staff have 2-3 weeks more a year than me..As Uco said some companies, at least in the G8 countries, give great benefits because the employees work better and don't think about quitting (hiring and training is very costly). I am not obsessed by work but routinely work extra hours (unpaid) each week ..then my boss let me take time off with pay as an exchange when there is no emergency. When one of our staff use all their yearly sick allowance we put them under extended medical leave, with 60 -75 % of their salary, paid by a private insurance company. This might also be the case in Japan.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

ok 2009/1/28 07:18
Uco

ok, so as a general rule, i will remember that benefits and the like that you receive mainly depends on the company. in any case thanks so much for all the useful information.

i know you didnt think i was a geek, but i just wanted to mention that as a piece of information.

about the mass murder in akihabra, yes, belgium heard about it when it happened. i think most countries in europe heard that news by the way. but i dont think we heard about the civilians that were abducted by north korea...

Red frog, thanks for the insights!
by macmac (guest) rate this post as useful

something to think about 2009/1/28 18:58
The abduction issue is a lot bigger a news, more political, way international, and much much more related to Europe than the Akihabara incident.

Mainly in the late 70s, many people were abducted by North Korea, some through Europe. These people included South Koreans, Japanese and those from other countries.

At first, no one knew where they went. Some didn't even believe they were abducted. Decades later, we learned that many live in North Korea. Several years ago, five of them returned to Japan and testified that they were suddenly put bags over their bodies and forced into a boat which took them to North Korea and educated to work at intelligence organizations.

But there are still dozens of Japanese, probably hundreds from other countries who are still in North Korea, split from their parents, siblings and children back home, and the North Korean government doesn't even admit it. Many parents have died of old age.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

a little of topic 2009/5/28 23:56
i was reading most of your posts and with the strikes every country has them its just not every country hears about them no matter how big they are unless there is mass violence involved eg. France 3 years ago. See i live in Australia and we have major strikes here but I'm sure you don't hear about them there that because they have no effect on you country so its not that important to show it in the news but if it affected your country in some way say Paper industry here I'm sure Japan would here about it or Major Electronics Manufacture in Japan I'm sure most countries would here about it
by maniac (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 26 of 26
prev
1 2

reply to this thread