Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 23 of 23
prev
1 2

... 2009/7/13 08:54
She "brainwashed" you, or she just gave you her opinion on the topic? There's quite a difference.

Also, don't you think calling your host mother "Lefty", even on the internet, is a bit disrespectful? It sounds like a gangster from a 1920s movie. My parents would be unimpressed if I called them or anyone else "Lefty".
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

I was brainwashed 2009/7/13 23:40
She "brainwashed" you, or she just gave you her opinion on the topic?

I never felt one trying to change their left-handed child to be wrong. I have been heavily influenced by my mum who tried to change her sister's daughter when she lived with us for a while as a toddler. My mum was successful & her sister was very pleased.

Not until Lefty gave me her opinions & shared her expertise on left-handedness did I question myself for the first time whether trying to change a left-handed child is wrong. I felt brainwashed as she calmly made look from a left-handed child's/person's perspective & not from a right-handed parent's perspective.

Also, don't you think calling your host mother "Lefty", even on the internet, is a bit disrespectful?

I didn't know "Lefty" isn't a nice nickname. Is there an euphemism for "Lefty"? Comparing "Lefty" to my nickname, which is "Dekai Oshiri", "Lefty" doesn't sound bad. A friend from my Japanese class back in high school gave me that nickname. At first I didn't like it as I hated having a big butt, but I am now really fond of my nickname (as I have have come to love it despite it being relatively enormous relative to my slender upper body). My host is a proud left-hander so I think she wouldn't mind "Lefty" as a nickname.
by Jenny (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/14 00:33
I am afraid the word brainwashed is too strong here. It is more like "the scales fell from my eyes", isn't it?

Your friends who called you by the nickname was rude. Actually I wouldn't consider it was a nickname at all. For the same reason, I don't think calling someone Lefty is nice, but it is up to HER to decide what she would like to be called. Please don't assume it is okay until she gave her permission.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 23 of 23
prev
1 2

reply to this thread