Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 30 of 30
prev
1 2

clothing 2009/8/1 09:25
Uco san, I think you're right, especially for a teenager. It probably just struck a few people as odd to think that a tanktop and miniskirt was a perfect outfit to wear to a shrine. In pretty much any country other than Japan, it's inappropriate to wear such an outfit to a place connected to religion- certainly in Thailand or India it would be, as well as many Christian churches.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Experiences of an early teen girl 2009/8/1 14:27
Shopping archades are popular, too, but they are scarece in the newer part of town. If you mean game archades, they're not really considered ideal places for those as young as 11. Kids as young as that are advised to be accompanied by adults, and those 16 and under will be quite strictly banned after 6 pm.

Sounds like what we unpleasantly encountered on our trip to Singapore. Me & my lil sis went to the arcade. She got kicked out because "kids under 16 aren't allowed during school hours" which is funny because we were tourists not attending school in s'pore. The same employee questioned me on my age & I told him that I was 16. He believed me. I would think I could pass for 16 in Japan (even though most westerners think I look my age). However, I do have to re-think my plan as this 11 yr old girl will be kicked out of arcades in no time being only 140cm.

Would you wear a tank top and miniskirt to visit a church?

I don't go to church but I don't see anything wrong with it. I thought God loves us no matter how we look/dress?
My mini skirt isn't that short, it hits halfway between my bikini line and knees.

Hey, I just gave a simple prayer at a shrine yesterday in a bathing suit.

Thanks for sharing! Are one piece or bikini suits more common in Japan?

Uco san, I think you're right, especially for a teenager.

Thanks for your input. In my experience, young teenage girls do get away with breaching dress norms without stigma as they are kids in an almost adult sized body (I really feel this way).
by girlygurl (guest) rate this post as useful

how to say "I am 16" in Japanese 2009/8/1 14:49
In case I get questioned about my age in arcades or entertainment places not allowing those under 16, what question should I expect? and how do I say "I am 16" in Japanese?

Thanks in advance!

. 2009/8/2 00:48
Girlygurl wrote;
Thanks for sharing! Are one piece or bikini suits more common in Japan?

Both are equally common.

In case I get questioned about my age in arcades or entertainment places not allowing those under 16, what question should I expect? and how do I say "I am 16" in Japanese?

My son was always asked for his ID and that was it. And don't lie to them, sweatheart. There are plenty of other places to go to, and regulations are there for a reason. Even if you were tourists in Singapore, they would never know if you're lying foreign students attending local schools or not, and they are just trying to do their job of protecting the vulnerable youth from various temptations. You will know what I mean when you grow up.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

age 2009/8/2 01:27
Oikutsu desuka? or nansai desu ka?

you answer: Ž„‚Í16΂ł ‚é (Watashi wa jyuu roku sai desu)

if you are a 13 year old western girl looking your age and have already gone through growth spurt, you can pull off 16 easily by japanese standards. without doing anything you already look 15-16 to them. wear a mini skirt, high heels and plenty of make up and those guys will be fooled and not have doubts that you are at least 16. that way they are not even likely to question your age.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

:) 2009/8/2 16:15
Thanks for your suggestion poster above.

And don't lie to them, sweatheart... You will know what I mean when you grow up.

I find you to be very similar to my mum :) She used to say that a lot. The arcade will be my last resort. Shopping comes first.

clothes 2009/8/2 17:02
Uco, I was just being facetious.. Nothing too wrong with a tank top and a mini skirt in a shrine but by complaining about them I was hoping that the kid would whip up another one of her truly unusual outfits just to visit a shrine.... Something like a cross between a shrine maiden and Vampirella....
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Interesting choices! 2009/8/3 01:15
I also like to dress my DD10 in clothes that have a theme related to an outing for that particular day. For instance, when we go to the zoo, she wears a monkey shirt. When we go swimming, she wears a tee with the words "Swim Team". Her favorite graphic tee is one with the words "Summer time: Eat, Sleep, Shop with Daddy's credit card". She wears it almost every time we go shopping! When you go shopping, wearing a tee with such a theme would be cute!

P.S. Where did you get your shark tee? Did you buy it as an outfit or as separates?
by mom to a princess (guest) rate this post as useful

Shark outfit 2009/8/3 02:11
Her favorite graphic tee is one with the words "Summer time: Eat, Sleep, Shop with Daddy's credit card". She wears it almost every time we go shopping! When you go shopping, wearing a tee with such a theme would be cute!
P.S. Where did you get your shark tee? Did you buy it as an outfit or as separates?

We seem to share the same taste :) I have a similar t-shirt saying "BUY NOW, TELL DAD LATER!" which I am indeed planning to wear when I go shopping.

I bought my shark t-shirt from gap kids boys last year. Have searched high and low in girls clothes but couldn't find a shark shirt. I bought the blue check shorts separately (from gap kids girls earlier this year), and it matches the shirt quite well. I also got:

shark hat:-
http://www.crazy8.com/shop/dept_item.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Ep...

and

shark flip flops
http://www.crazy8.com/shop/dept_item.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Ep...

to complete my outfit.

Hope it helps!

My opinion 2009/8/3 09:54
To be honest I have no clue about Japan tour sites, or what 13 year olds do in Japan either, but it seems like your Dad's gf's daughter to you is just a "tag-along" and you just keep her around since you are the closest thing to her mom's bf.

I suggest befriending her if you haven't already since she might become your future step-sister if your dad and his japanese gf are as close as you say. Though she is two years younger she is ONLY two years younger, she might be able to find you more friends your age and that might have similar interest around her neighborhood.

I have had real experiences where adventure is hiding right in the same neigborhood of where I visit/live! For all you know when your not touring places you would have found a friend where you can kill some hours doing kareoke or playing some video games!

It's only a suggestion, but I think personally it would be worth it.
by Brio rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 30 of 30
prev
1 2

reply to this thread