Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 39 of 39
prev
1 2

Too late 2009/8/19 17:26
Its too late anyway as its already bought, its still the equiv of $900 using the official exchange rates at Yodobashi. Given I'll get $100 back and the exchange rate for me to buy yen or use my credit card is lower through the banks than actual rates, theres not much in it, plus no international warranty on that brand either.
by meandher rate this post as useful

cheaper 2009/8/20 07:00
A lens that's $900 at Yodobashi or Bic, can be $600-$700 at some stores around Akihabara.
Which lens is it?
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Tamron 2009/8/20 07:15
As I said, not sure if its even relevant now, but its a Tamron 18-270 Di II VC

tamron 2009/8/20 09:40
Finally, this thread becomes Japan specific.

You mention that you bought the lens already, but is there a possibility of returning it? The one you bought can be found for 50000 yen in Japan, or about 645 AUD.

http://kakaku.com/item/10505512011/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

$$ 2009/8/20 09:42
Around $640 at well known discount store at Akihabara.

Anyway, I suppose it's good for future reference.

OP 2009/8/20 10:58
Guys the OP has already mentioned about the international warranty.
Telling a photographer he can get a lens cheaper in japan is very bad advise.

Warranty is one of the most important things.
Besides, he didn't even ask if he could get it cheaper!!
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Lens 2009/8/20 11:06
Japan isn't the cheapest option for a lens either but why on earth are you guys giving him advice on purchasing one?? :)
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

lenses 2009/8/20 11:12
Guys the OP has already mentioned about the international warranty.
Telling a photographer he can get a lens cheaper in japan is very bad advise. Warranty is one of the most important things.

I'm a photographer myself, and if the discount is high enough then it can offset the benefit of a better warranty. This may be the case here where the cost of the warranty increases the price by 40%, but of course it is up to the OP to decide if he wants to take that chance.

Besides, he didn't even ask if he could get it cheaper!!

Which is why I contend that this entire thread isn't about Japan at all.

warranty 2009/8/20 11:25
Her eis what Tamron says about international warranties:

"HOW TO OBTAIN AN INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY CARD
Please be advised that as of November 1st 2007, only a regional warranty card is included in the package.
However, customers who go abroad may obtain an international warranty card.
To claim it, please send your regional warranty card and a receipt of purchase to the Tamron distributor in the country of purchase."

Sandy 2009/8/20 12:02
Sandy I suggest you contact the local Tamron distrubtor.
In the OP's case:
http://www.maxwell.com.au/contactus/index.html
The international warranty Tamron provide is only granted if you are PERMINATLY moving to another country.
The fact of the matter is only sigma and cannon offer international warranties that can be dealt with from Australia. The OP has done what he believe is in the best interest of his equipment.
yllwsmrf are you a photographer or a amateur photographer? I cannot believe you are a photographer and don't care about warranties??

To the OP: I'm very sorry this has gone so far off your topic of your original question. I feel it is important to provide you with accurate information however.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

No probs 2009/8/20 13:15
No problem. In addition, the last thing I wanted to do is to turn up in Japan and expect to do my lens shopping for a lens specifically for the trip - even if it was a couple of hundred max, I purchased it locally with no stuffing around with warranty cards, bla bla bla. Oh, that was with 7 yr extended warranty too, so I'm happy with the price and purchase. :)

lenses 2009/8/20 14:02
The fact of the matter is only sigma and cannon offer international warranties that can be dealt with from Australia.

Don't forget Nikon which offers 5 year international warranties on all their lenses (expect for australia where it appears to limited to one year http://www.nikon.com.au/warranty.php)

The OP has done what he believe is in the best interest of his equipment.

Which is why I said the decision is ultimately up to him.

yllwsmrf are you a photographer or a amateur photographer? I cannot believe you are a photographer and don't care about warranties??

I didn't say I didn't care about warranties, on the contrary I think they are very important. What I am saying is that it is an issue of economics. In this case the item (doesn't matter if its a lens or a thingamajig) can be bought for 40% cheaper. If/when it does break you could buy another one and in the end have spent roughly the same amount of money, perhaps even less as this is a newly released model that will likely significantly drop in price over the next few years.

No problem. In addition, the last thing I wanted to do is to turn up in Japan and expect to do my lens shopping for a lens specifically for the trip - even if it was a couple of hundred max, I purchased it locally with no stuffing around with warranty cards, bla bla bla. Oh, that was with 7 yr extended warranty too, so I'm happy with the price and purchase. :)

I think having the lens available as soon as you land is the biggest advantage, and as long as you are happy with your purchase then that is all that matters. We just want you to be informed of local prices for your own benefit.

Nikon 2009/8/20 15:09
Hi yllwsmrf,

Nikon only offer a 1 year international warranty all over not just in Australia. I recently purchased a D80 and of the two warranty cards, the worldwide one clearly states 12 months where as the local states 5 years. Maybe they used to offer 5 years worldwide awhile ago? This is my first Nikon camera :) Very happy with it.

The thing to look out for with some manufactures is *approved* resellers. Cheaper camera's normally come from what is known as grey imports. For example, the models you find in several Akihabara discount stores. You'll run into issues with worldwide warranty there.

One thing I will say about Nikon in Australia, they are tight. In Japan they offer to clean the unit for free (as canon did for me) for the length of the local warranty. In Australia it appears that people have been charged anywhere from $50 to $90!

nikon 2009/8/20 17:40
Nikon only offer a 1 year international warranty all over not just in Australia. I recently purchased a D80 and of the two warranty cards, the worldwide one clearly states 12 months where as the local states 5 years. Maybe they used to offer 5 years worldwide awhile ago? This is my first Nikon camera :) Very happy with it.

For Nikon bodies purchased in the US (and in Japan as far as I can tell) are only warranted for one year in the region where they are purchased. Lenses however, come with a 5 year international warranty. Australia has stricter time limits it seems.

Warranty 2009/8/20 17:47
Thanks for that yllwsmrf,
I will look into it with nikon. Bit late today but tommorow will be ok.

I feel a bit jipped if I have been short changed with the warranty on some of my equipment.
Seemingly my warranty is exactly the same as what that Australian nikon site shows.

nikon 2009/8/20 18:00
Kevin,

What exactly did you buy and where? Also, I'm not positive about the Japanese warranty details as there was a lot of fine print I didn't understand, but what I wrote definitely applies to Nikon products purchased in the US.

BIC 2009/8/20 19:54
I got a N D80 body and three nikon lenses from BIC (shinkansen nagoya). I had to get them to order the lenses but I generally do a lot of shopping there because I favour their point system quite highly :)
Got a very good deal for the body too, I was very pleased.
I've been using canon products for years up until now.
Another friend suggests to me I might have a really old box from stock because nikon have not done worldwide warranty on bodies since 2007.

I'll get the word from the horses mouth tommorow morning anyway, I'd like to know exactly where I stand.

Lenses and Film cameras 2009/8/20 21:01
The only Nikon products covered by international warranty are Nikkor lenses and FILM cameras. Bummer, I was hoping to pick up a cheap SB900 flash

Nikon 2009/8/21 10:42
Not the easiest company to get in contact with the right department.
Regarding the body, it is not under international warranty as you suggested yllwsmrf. My friend appears to be right about the box being old.
Nikon apologised about the confusion and offered to send a *Premium bag* which apparently contains various small things like brushes, small guide books and a 5% discount for my next camera purchase at Yodibashi.

Very suprised but very happy with that level of service.

The lenses are definatly covered by a 1 year international warranty along with a 5 year local though.

Apparently many of the regional nikon service centers were unhappy with providing free service for units purchased outside their region. The one year coverage is the deal that was struck.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 39 of 39
prev
1 2

reply to this thread