Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 25 of 25
prev
1 2

Go for your dream 2010/9/16 18:13
I just wanted to say good luck with your business dream. There are always ways to overcome any barriers that you may face in attaining your dream and with the passion you have shown I am sure this will be the case. Go for it!
by Trin (guest) rate this post as useful

I don't think it's feasible 2010/9/17 13:04
Not to burst your bubble, but VISITING Japan and LIVING in Japan are two different things. I've visited Japan at least 10 different times, but I wouldn't be comfortable in saying that I "know" Japan, or even the areas I most frequently visit. Things can change rapidly over the course of 2-3 years, and what was relevant information in 2008 may suddenly not matter in 2010. I really believe it would be a stretch to offer informative tours of Japan unless you went only to historical sites.

Also, you have to think about the kind of services you're offering. While offering English-language tours of Japan isn't common, tour packages/tour companies that offer English-language guides of Japan definitely exist. These companies will be better funded, most likely offer better prices, and be better equipped to handle any emergencies along the way. Obviously, their guides might not be able to speak English as well as a native-speaker, but I don't think many tourists go to Japan expecting people there to have a good command of the English language.

I understand you love Japan and its culture, but you're probably better off choosing a different route to visit/work/live in Japan than starting a tour service.
by gh6 (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/9/17 13:14
Hi Trin,

Thankyou so much for your post. I really appreciate it! You put a smile back on my face after all the negative comments.

G
by Georgia1 rate this post as useful

For Sandy 2010/9/17 13:17
Sandy,

I think I read about the technicality on the Department of Fair Trading's website about getting a travel agents licence. Dont rely on what I say though as I have only just started researching into this and I could be wrong.

G

.... 2010/9/17 13:38

gh6,

Obviously visiting somewhere and living somewhere are 2 very different things - thats fairly obvious...... I never said i am aiming to live in Japan in the SHORT term. Moving to Japan would be a long way off (if at all) and only if my idea is successful.

I am not saying I 'know' Japan inside out.

As I stated in my previous post I want to start off doing day trips and guiding people to tourist areas by helping them on the train, explaining a bit about the place, suggesting restaurants around the places or simply being someone to call for assistance while they are in Japan. I am not expecting to make a huge amount of money to begin with, or even any more then to cover my own expenses but when you are passionate about something, making money off your passion isnt the main driver is it?

I am not offering to be a travel AGENT but a GUIDE.

I think you are wrong - i think there are plenty of people who want an English speaking guide when they are away(if their native language is English). When I was in France and I booked a day trip, I expected the guide to speak very good English as that is what the tour description stipulated.

As for the bigger companies offering better prices - are you kidding???? They charge thousands of dollars for not much in return. I have looked into and researched what big companies offer and what services they provide and also how the smaller companies operate.

I think I have found a niche market as what I want to do provide is what I want and what all of my friends want when they travel somewhere. They want a small group with a guide who can give a personal touch to their holiday. Someone who is clearly passionate about what they do and wants to share that. Not an anonymous tour guide who sits at the front of a bus full of 50+ people pointing them to where they want them to go. On tours run by bigger companies you end up only spending a VERY short time at the main attractions as they try to jam pack so many things into the itinerary so you feel as if you have got value for money. I on the other hand would encourage people to spend much longer at places and not to rush through places just to say they have been there and seen it.

G

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 25 of 25
prev
1 2

reply to this thread