Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 28 of 28
prev
1 2

. 2011/1/6 12:28
lastmockingbird,

I repeat. In most trains in Japan, and in all trains between Akita and Sendai, there are NON-reserved sections. You cannot get kicked out of the non-reserved sections no matter how crowded the trains are, even though you might have to stand all the way.

As for accomodation, Saturday nights are indeed generally crowded, but I assume you can get a room if you book in advance. At least they can't all be fully booked now.

By the way, I'm a mother to an 18 year old boy and I'm not surprised your mom allowed you to go, unless you're 14 or something. I was indeed surprised when my mom allowed me to go to a night-time concert alone when I was 16, but now that I'm here age I understand that you gotta start somewhere, and I think she trusted me. And I have to say I was trustworthy.

Besides, Sendai Sunplaza (as you can assume from their website) is a decent concert hall near a major train station. It's not like it's an underground club in the getto. Security and fire regulations are very strict in concerts in Japan. You never see drugs or violence or even heavy drinking inside most concerts. I would worry about it if you were a low teen, but not if you're a high teen. If you're 18 or over, I would just say that your mom is "smart" enough to let you travel alone.

"I Sent them another inquiry for follow up questions and they haven't replied and it's been two days."

I just thought I'd mention that if you're sending similar questions repeatedly, like you are here, they would probably be reluctant about sending answers. But I don't blame you. You're just a growing kid.

"@UCO, I never thought you are a native Japanese! sugoii! :D "

I'm just curious. What's so sugoi about that? :)
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/1/6 15:19
In most trains in Japan, and in all trains between Akita and Sendai, there are NON-reserved sections.

The direct shinkansen trains between Akita and Sendai (named Komachi) do not have a non-reserved section, but between Akita and Morioka a passenger without seat reservation is allowed to use any vacant seat. Beyond Morioka, a seat reservation or standing ticket is required for the Komachi. Between Morioka and Sendai, the are Yamabiko trains, which do have a non-reserved cars.
by Uji rate this post as useful

haha 2011/1/6 22:16
Haha! Yes, I'm just like a kid. I'm a worrier. Worrier not "warrior" lol. you get my point!

And I've decided to purchase a ticket and the site already replied and accommodated my inquiries. It seems the owner was out for a holiday.

Anyway, I've decided to purchase a ticket. It's just a matter of deciding how many.

A friend told me that I should perhaps buy two so when I get to the school in Japan, I can give (free) it to a friend or sell it to anyone. What do you think?

About my reaction, it's because I find it cool that I'm actually receiving help direct from a Japanese. I thought this site is made up of foreigners who have been in Japan or residing in Japan.

Sorry if I reacted over excitedly. Like you've noticed, I can sometimes be like a kid getting surprised at every small revelation. XD
by lastmockingbird rate this post as useful

. 2011/1/7 17:37
Uji is right about the necessity of seat reservation on Komachi. I'm sorry for the misinformation. We can always count on Uji, especially when it comes to trains.

lastmockingbird, I didn't mean it to be an insult when I said you were a kid. To me, all teens are kids, and kids are fascinating. And I HOPE you are a teen. Otherwise you shouldn't be surprised your mom allowed you to go!

"A friend told me that I should perhaps buy two so when I get to the school in Japan, I can give (free) it to a friend or sell it to anyone. What do you think?"

Looking for concert ticket buyers through the grapevine at school is very commonly done in Japan. But in your case, the major problem might be that the buyer also needs to pay for the high transportation cost and accomodation as well as to spend the night over. Me and a lot of my friends often sell tickets through the great network of music fans we know, but we usually end up only being able to sell them at the very last minutes. I've also known or seen people who end up trying to sell tickets in front of the venue on the concert date. Getting rid of that one extra ticket is quite a nerve-wrecking job.

So I'd say it's a matter of (A) being nervous about going alone or (B) being nervous wondering whether a buyer will appear or not. Again, you can sell tickets to scalpers, but that will eventually finance criminal gangsters.

Have you considered posting in English on fan sites or posting on facebook etc. like the other poster suggested?

"I thought this site is made up of foreigners who have been in Japan or residing in Japan."

There is a pretty good balance of various nationalities or cultural backgrounds among the regular members of this community, and there are at least 4 or 5 Japanese nationals who post frequently. But some of the non-Japanese members are often more knowledgable than the Japanese.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

accommodation 2011/1/7 23:12
@Uco, it's okay. I'm not offended because to some extent, what you said was true XD

About the train, so I really have to purchase the train ticket in advance huh? Perhaps at the NRT already? Thanks for clarifying this also @Uji

I guess I'd have to settle with option A then. XD But I have to ponder on this for a while.

And about posting to sites, yes I just tried it on Facebook and no one has replied yet :(

And I'm thinking if someone does reply, my mom might be more uncomfortable with the idea of me being with someone I practically don't know than with me being alone. I dunno...haha

Oh I see. It's cool to know that there are Japanese here! Nothing beats getting info from a local!

:)

Hi! 2011/1/10 18:02
Dear Lastmockingbird,

Not sure I can be of much help to you, but you said you're going to be on exchange in Akita? That's what I'm doing right now - we're quite likely even going to be in the same school. ^^

I've traveled to Osaka for concerts before - took two night buses each way to see Adam Lambert - and in February and going down to Tokyo to see My Chemical Romance. As a foreigner in Japan with minimal Japanese skills, I REALLY WANT TO ENCOURAGE YOU TO GO FOR IT ANYWAY! It's fun traveling by yourself if you look at it as an adventure, and if you are okay with a slow journey on a normal train, travel to Sendai is not too expensive. And it's not scary at all - not sure how young you are, but if you are college-age it should be a piece of cake. I've always found people incredibly willing to help.

If you have any extra questions, I'd be happy to help answer? :)
by RosaLui rate this post as useful

. 2011/1/10 19:34
I've been to concerts in Japan without problems. I would say 99.9% of the people there care more about seeing the singer/band then they care about someone who might/might not look out of place.

You got to a concert in your country what do you care most about? seeing/listening to your favorite star or what the other fan looks like?
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

@RosaLui 2011/1/15 09:22
Woah! I'm psyched to hear from an exchange student in Akita too! I suppose you're in a one year program there? And I do feel we'll be on the same school XD

And I envy you too! Going to Osaka for concerts? awww..

Actually, I've kinda decided to but the ticket and go to the concert. But since I'm purchasing it overseas, 'course it would be normal to expect that glitches would happen and the worst case scenario would be that I wouldn't get any. If that happens, I told myself it would be okay and I'll let it go. So I'm kinda ambivalent...haha. I'm having the "what happens, happens" mentality over this. :D

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 28 of 28
prev
1 2

reply to this thread