Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 32 of 32
prev
1 2

It doesn't matter. 2007/4/26 14:11
Manga or any other type of art, will not be determine by your race, but how well you can handle it and how good you are with it. White, black, chines ext. it doesn't matter, what matter is are you going to be one? To be a manga-ka, no, an artist period; you must have faith in what you do and learn from your upcoming mistakes, never give up, don't matter how hard it may sound, that counts for all things. And you should always have a back up plan; just in case being a manga-ka (manga artist) isn't fully what you thought it would be like.
by Rion rate this post as useful

hope 2007/4/26 19:37
I'm an English gentleman(ish) and have spent the whole of my teenage/ early adult life slaving to get into the script writting world; most of this has been stuck in a bsement logging tapes or getting coffee thrown at me. I have thousands of good ideas - most finished, I have sent off my work to many agents and got good responses but all with negative results. My point it it doesn't matter what/who you are it boils down to a few simple facts - 1) luck 2) who you know 3) more hard work than you can put in. 4) fate/luck/ timing.
If you want to get into Manga you will have to be able to speak Japanese, like so many other industries there is a million people for one job - ask yourself what is my sellign point (colour of skin/ place of birth is not what counts). Japan is changing fast, it is having to lose it's view on the world, so if you have an unique style - push it. Anyone can copy a art style, develop your own. If your hell bend on getting in there (as we all are) get a comapny name (brand) on your CV, then cross over. All in all dont give up, even if you have 8 children's mouths to feed. We only live once. I hope to see you there one day!
by aren't we all!! rate this post as useful

in training 2007/5/3 04:36
im black(and proud^^) and 15
im making a manga
by Miles rate this post as useful

Here he is. 2007/5/3 11:12
My bf is! I mean he has never published, but I believe he will. He has been making character as a freelance these days.
by littlek rate this post as useful

To Koylo 2007/5/23 03:47
The reason you see so many black people in Okinawa is because of the military base there. Unfortunately, because of discrimination and the racism that is still prevalent in the US, many black men and women feel that the only way to improve their economical situation is in the military....

Well i must disagree with you, since i am living in osaka i saw alot more ''black'' people around tghe city than i have seen actual white gaijins. I have seen way more african (meybe american) people than i have euro standard white gaijins....just so u know
by Kristle rate this post as useful

Hmm. 2007/5/29 13:35
I only saw a few black people in Japan. In Osaka, I saw just two. One grown man who was rushing through a subway station, and then a child in an elementary school (Although, because of his dark complexion, I think he may have come from a country such as Kenya). But yeah, it's more situational than anything else. In Tokyo there are more white men (well, they had odd accents, so I can assume they were from some European country) than anything. But like someone mentioned before, it's not uncommon to see black men who own shops, I've seen some here and there in Namba.

But yeah, I'd like to see more black people being successful in Japan. It would definately help get rid of those awful stereotypes and unfamiliarity.
by niko-chan (nicole) rate this post as useful

learn japanese at least 2007/10/7 00:40
ive always wondered if colour matters but it doenst and i know that. you are less likely to get hired as anyone else cos manga IS a big indusrty from what i heard. but go for it cos i am, im defiantely going japan as soon as i hit adult! see you there maybe people!
im 15. black! and working on a manga too, like miles.
but im also going to submit a manga to tokyopop cos theres barely know manga or publishers in my country.
by mangagirl rate this post as useful

Yes, there was a black manga artist! 2007/10/7 08:10
His name was Vern Grant, not to be confused with the Kellog's guy who designed Smack, Crackle, and Pop. He made a comic called the Love Rangers. Also during his stay in Japan, he published a satirical comic on gaijin. He was not one of those sniveling otakus (i'm guilty sometimes) that we have now, and is credited with being the first English-language person to adapt Japanese techniques into Western comics! Education!

I also do artwork/poetry myself myself, and have been told I'm very good, but I still want to improve endlessly.

blog:
http://upliftingthecinematicallytragic.blogspot.com

art:
http://sublimityeternal.deviantart.com

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/babyheadcandies

Drop me a line anytime!
by Kesha rate this post as useful

His entry in Wiki 2007/10/7 08:14
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Grant

(February 14, 1935, Cambridge, Massachusetts - July 23, 2006, Cambridge, Massachusetts) was a cartoonist who did graphic novels and is also known for his digest-size comic book series, The Love Rangers. Usually referred to as Vern Grant, he is often credited as the person who first introduced the visual approach and concepts of Japanese manga into English-language cartooning.....read more on wiki!

He was also an AVID RUNNER. Mr. Grant died from heart complications after his final run last year. He got most of his ideas when he did marathons. God Rest His Soul. His story is inspirational to me and I'm sure countless other people!
by Kesha rate this post as useful

im just like u 2008/9/22 10:38
i am the same way. im a black girl who likes to draw manga,watch anime and wants 2 be a manga artist.i always think that it will be hard 4 me 2 become a manga artist because im black. most of the time when im on the computer, i always look 4 a answer 2 your question.but im going 2 be determined and follow my dreams because i know that is what i want 2 do when i grow up and i think u you should do the same.
by Sakura2 rate this post as useful

found your answer 2010/1/19 11:34
Felipe Smith author of MBQ and peepcho

Shatia hamilton author of fungas grotto

I know the list sucks because im black two and i also want to be a manga artist
by Amber (guest) rate this post as useful

Getting to Japan 2010/1/24 13:59
Like Amber mentioned, Felipe Smith is in Japan. But it is important to note that he gained popularity while living in the states. I believe most non-Japanese manga artists get their foot in the door but gaining a fanbase and actually publishing in their home countries before getting to Japan. Some Japanese companies to have international contest which have allowed artists to get in to the door too.
by Banna (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 32 of 32
prev
1 2

reply to this thread