Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 23 of 23
prev
1 2

Strangers and cellphones 2011/5/30 12:01
I can understand 30 people refusing to let a stranger use their cellphone. It's a fairly complicated request when there is a language barrier, most of them probably had places to be and no time to try to figure out what Terry was asking them let alone wait around while he/she used their cellphone, and would probably have been suspicious of the motive in any case- there is a fair amount of cellphone-related fraud here.

What I don't understand is why Terry was so surprised that people were unhelpful in this situation. It's a bit different to asking where Bic Camera is for example.

Terry, would you really hand over your cellphone to a random stranger who couldn't explain to you what they wanted to do with it? I know I wouldn't.

In any case, you've been here before, you know what Japanese people are usually like and have no reason to think that an entire nation of people has suddenly changed. So you had one not so successful trip. Put it behind you, make sure you avoid major holidays and don't go out without vital information next time, and try to enjoy your next trip.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Take it easy on him 2011/5/30 12:01
Guys, the OP is just suggesting that you can't expect the best during peak season (which is quite universal). And I don't see anything wrong with deciding to learn a language now if he hasn't done that before. But I do find it interesting that he didn't go to the station or a Koban before asking the same direction to 30 people. And if he was able to ask that to as much as 30 people, it must've been a pretty busy district with lots of people in a hurry.

Wishing the OP a better visit next time, and I hope he knows that the last half of December and March are peak seasons as well. Maybe it's better to visit less touristical spots during that time.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

troll 2011/6/1 06:04
sounds like a troll to me
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 23 of 23
prev
1 2

reply to this thread