Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 223 of 233: Posts 4441 - 4460 of 4651
prev
1 ... 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... 233
next

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/8/9 07:38
The Tokyo Olympics have ended successfully. I believe did not increase the number of Japanese virus patients by it.

I hope the virus will end soon.
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/8/9 13:51
Does anyone remember a hill that had circles imprinted all over it? The street that lead to it was off the main road the passed in front of the Exchange where the Bill Chickering was. That is where we caught the trolly's. Right at the corner was a little stand where they sold bean cakes and corn dogs. First time I ever had either and the corn dogs were served with ketsup, LOL is the only way I will eat them.
by Carol Sawyer rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/8/9 14:06
Hi Eric
I have so enjoyed your posts and everyone else's. Has brought back so many great memories. I just typed a description of where we lived at the top of a Circle Hill. The Bonidori Danced down below our house and the Japanese Castle close to our house. I lost it trying to post it. I will do it again tomorrow as it is late here and I have an early day in the morning. Till then good night my new friends.
by Carol Sawyer rate this post as useful

60 years ago 2021/8/12 01:46
60 years ago this summer, my folks and I sailed from Yokohama aboard the MSTS ship General W. A. Mann. The ship stopped for one day in Honolulu and I remember our German Shephard dog, Bonnie howled to be let out of the fantail box she had lived in for the trip. There was a two week limit on bringing foreign animals into the US, so Bonnie Lady Of Yokohama was stuck for the time being.
We toured the Honolulu Zoo and a royal palace for the day while US soldiers and sailors exited the ship and reported to new duties in Hawaii.
We sailed into Oakland, California to close out the 15 day trip. This resolved the dog embargo.
Dad hailed a cab and drive over to Lane Buick dealership where he picked up a brand new '61 LeSaber wagon. Driving back to the dock, we loaded our carry on laggage and drive east to mom's home territory in southern Iowa.
I sat in the back seat along side Bonnie, who took up a position atop Mom's typewriter. The trip home took three days.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/8/16 05:19
Eric
What a wonderful remberence.
Carol. Our friend Wally on this site was at kishine at the same time your dad was. Can you provide details ?
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/8/17 05:03
What an amazing site to stumble upon!! My family lived in Yokohama 1967-69. My Dad was also at Kishine (Army Radiologist). We lived in a little house on Honmoku Motomatchi and not base housing since my Dad was only serving for 2 years. My parents took the futon closet doors off in one bedroom and turned it into a triple bunk for 3 of us and my youngest brother was in a crib! I remember walking to Sunkien Gardens, taking the bus to Byrd school (1st-3rd grade)We spent a lot of time at the "elephant park" down the street... Unfortunately, I don't remember my teacher's names but I remember the film strip room and getting sick all over one of the benches while watching a filmstrip about butterflies. I also remember shopping at the PX, the movie theatre and bowling alley. I had a friend named Jennifer Lindberg who I lost touch with. Her parents were teachers at the High School. My sister and I met two girls whose parents were missionaries and I remember exploring Yokohama with them. My parents are still alive and I cannot wait to show them this site when I see them in a couple weeks. I could go on and on.....so many fond memories and I hope to return one day!
by Lisa Johanson (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/8/23 08:02
To all members of this thread. Are you Okay? Did you get Covid vaccinated? I want it. I will make a second shot tomorrow.

Stay safe,

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/8/23 09:49
Im ok. New Hampshire is having a tropical storm event. But its moderate.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/8/23 20:19
Hey Peter-san,

I sometimes go to Enoshima, the beach is few quiet this summer.

Today Monday, there are more infected people in Kawasaki and Yokohama cities in Kanagawa prefecture than in Tokyo...

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/8/23 20:28
The web site of Fujisawa and Enoshima:
https://www.discover-fujisawa.jp/

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/10/2 06:18
Regarding travel to Japan: I have been trying to return to Yokohama for the past year and a half. There is hope now that the Covid cases have plunged dramatically throughout Japan. Same in the Washington DC area where I live. I just got a Pfizer booster shot. What prevents me now from traveling to Japan is the two-week isolation rule. I usually stay for a month there but if I have to self-isolate in a hotel for two weeks, it's not worth the trip.
From today on, bars and restaurants are open for business until 8 or 9 pm for those who are fully vaccinated. In Tokyo and Yokohama and elsewhere.
by Honmokujin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/10/2 07:16
From today on, bars and restaurants are open for business until 8 or 9 pm for those who are fully vaccinated.

They open to everyone, not just the fully vaccinated. As of now, vaccination certificates are not in use within Japan.

In Tokyo and Yokohama and elsewhere.

The rules regarding the serving of alcohol and restaurant opening hours depend on the prefecture. Some have no restrictions. Others have different ones.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/10/6 23:03
Well, if all those tiny bars and restaurants that I like to go to are open to everyone, not just to the fully vaccinated, that would be too much of a risk for me. I did notice that there were only 77 new cases of Covid in all of Kanagawa Prefecture, which includes a huge area including Yokohama. Still, I will wait until the required two week isolation in a hotel room is lifted.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/11/13 17:20
It was in Negishi, which is now closed.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/11/26 04:20
Hi everyone.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Hope you are all well and having a good, safe holiday with those you love.

All relatively quiet here in NYC....little traffic, almost all restaurants closed, planes and helicopters not flying overhead.
Leaves bright colored this year and many still not fallen....

Best regards,
Steffi

by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/11/26 05:12
"Thanksgiving is a typically American holiday. In spite of its religious form (giving thanks to God for a good harvest), its essential, secular meaning is a celebration of successful production. It is a producersf holiday. The lavish meal is a symbol of the fact that abundant consumption is the result and reward of production. Abundance is (or was and ought to be) Americafs pride—just as it is the pride of American parents that their children need never know starvation" --Ayn Rand
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Latest protocol to visit Japan 2021/11/29 08:01
The Anerican Enbassy in Japan has a website that spells out the most recent requirements to visit Japan.
First, you have to be fully vaccinated
Then you have to be tested for Covid three days prior to taking the flight to Japan and show that and your covid certificate at the airport.
If it's a business trip, you spend three days isolated in a hotel.
If you are a tourist, you have to be isolated in a hotel for 10 days.
The immigration health authorities will ask you if you visited another country on your stopover in Japan. If you have been to South Africa recently, cancel all overseas travel.
All these requirements can be changed so do check with the State Department, the Embassy of Japan or the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo.
And on top of it, you cannot use public transportation. There are designated limos for hire that you have to reserve in advance.

Maybe now is not a good time for overseas travel. Japan is the safest place with very few new cases and they want to keep it that way.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/12/1 00:09

Ibelieve that due to fears of spreading the new covid variant, Japan has just closed its borders to all new foreign travelers.

Public transit 2021/12/6 22:35
I miss seeing the rickety street cars bumping from stop to stop in Yokohama.
I know they've bee gone for decades...
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2021/12/7 15:53
I think I read that there is a streetcar museum in Yokohama with old cars to see.....

I miss them too....along with Yokohama in general. Should have gone back to visit, but life keeps
us busy.....

Page 223 of 233: Posts 4441 - 4460 of 4651
prev
1 ... 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... 233
next

reply to this thread