Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 24 of 233: Posts 461 - 480 of 4651
prev
1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 233
next

Negishi golf course and Sea side club 2007/11/21 15:25
Good morning, Lori san

I thank for detailed explanation from you.

I visited several times Bay side coat of Shinyamashita. There was a blue building, and a small tunnel aside.

I have two memory other than an EM club. They redecorated the racetrack of Negishi, and there was a golf course. dad often ate a meal with me in a clubhouse over there.

It was a called Sea side club of Kominato. There was near a Yamate police station of avenue D. There was a small red torii in the garden.

Do you know there?

Regards,

Kaoru

by Kaoru rate this post as useful

Midway and Bayside Courts 2007/11/21 23:53
Lori and Kaoru I think Kaoru means Bayside Courts which had a tunnel next to it I would walk through that tunnel every day going to work. Now there are two tunnels according to google earth. Also Kaoru said that he worked on the Midway in Yokosuka. His job was changing light bulbs in the passageways. Funny I thought sailors could change there own lightbulbs oh well. Kaoru thank you for your offer to guide me around if I come back. After so many changes I will need a guide. Still looking for any photos of Bayside courts. Fuji must have snow on it now. We got our first snow of the season yesterday here in New Hampshire. Greetings all.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Yokohama 2007/11/21 23:56
I was looking for people to converse with about their experiences while in Yokohama.
I lived in Yokohama, (went to Kinnick Middle School) Hiyama and Nagai between March 1977 and July 1979.
Thanks!
by Dave rate this post as useful

Japan 1977-1979 2007/11/22 00:15
HI!
When I left Japan in 1979, I lost touch with all my friends. Living in Japan was such a magical time. I lived in Yokohama, Yokouska, Nagai, Hiyama between 1977-1979. I attended Kinick Middle School (4th grade) and Sullivan elementary for 3rd and 5th grade. Would love to hear from anyone living in Japan around 77-79.
by Dave rate this post as useful

Midway 2007/11/22 08:38
Konnichiwa, Piter san

When I was a sophomore, the friend and I had a part-time job with Midway.

He lives in Yokosuka. His father was a sea self-defense member. I do not know by what connection my friend found the part-time job. Because Midway was an old aircraft carrier, the lamp of the passage was large. And, the cover painted white was very heavy. Sailors came to sell the ham and the whisky when we had the rest. The cigarette was bought from them the next day. They seemed to have gotten drunk. And, our pocket emptied.

Peter san 2007/11/22 08:59
Peter:

I'm sorry. I wrote your name by mistake.

reply 2007/11/22 12:56
Kaoru, Dear Mr. Smell Good No problem I mispell my name too sometimes . How do Japanese people type on a keyboard using kanji or hirogana? Also [perhaps a stupid question] How do Japanese people look up say a telephone number in a book using kanji? In english we have the alphabet ABC ect..
by peter rate this post as useful

Hello from Yokohama 2007/11/22 23:43
Minasama, Konnichiwa;

The keyboard of the computer of Japan is almost the same as US's. As for it, the Roman alphabet and Hiragana are being written in the keys.

The keyboard is operated by the Roman alphabet. And, the Chinese character, Hiragana, and the
katakana are displayed with the conversion key.

This is Japanese site, try it

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIS%E3%82%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9C%...

I heard the picture of the Bayside courts from the Defense Facilities Administration Agency.
However, it was not able to be found.

Dave san, I know Hayama and Nagai well. I graduated from a private boys' high school of nearby Zushi.

Konnichi-wa, Kaoru! O genki desu ka? 2007/11/23 06:08
In your post to me you said, "It was a called Sea side club of Kominato. There was near a Yamate police station of avenue D. There was a small red torii in the garden. Do you know there?"

Yes, I know that place. It was the area named "Area 1"; also named Nasugbu Beach and was one of the housing areas for American Military Families. The Seaside Club was still open when I moved into Negishi Heights American Military Housing area in 1980. We went to Seaside Club for dinner sometimes, until the new club was built in Negishi area. That club is named gAll Hands Clubh. (All Hands means all sailors – not separate clubs for Officers and for Enlisted persons.)

The Bayside Courts was the location of a few things when we (my husband and I) arrived in 1980. Built into the hill was the chapel (which formerly was the Chief's Club). It was a safe place also in case of attack or bombing. This was kind of left over from 1940's '50's and '60's. There was also at Bayside Courts: Military Police, Military Legal and Investigation agency, living space for sailors who were not married or wife did not come to Japan, a very small club or cafe (very nice and friendly people working there), library, Navy Lodge where we stayed until assigned to a house in Negishi, and maybe some other things I am forgetting. Some buildings were for storage and some not used. My memory of that is not exact as it was 27&1/2 years ago that I was there. When we went back to Japan in l985, the Bayside Courts was closed and soon to be returned to Japanese Government (from what I could learn). I am sure it is completely gone now and something else must be built there at this time.

If you go on the internet to the following website you will find lots of information and a video of the Negishi Heights Housing Area. I think it is not too far from where you live.

www.cfay.navy.mil/negishi.htm

When I lived in Negishi (l980-1982) I rode the Yokohama City Bus #11 to Idogaya Eki to board the train of Keihin Kyuko line to travel to Yokosuka. I also rode that train sometimes and went through Hodogaya Eki. It must be near your home.
I lived at the top of a hill; at the bottom of that hill is Nakamura-bashi. I shopped frequently in the little shopping street. Do you know that area?

I hope my information was helpful and interesting to you. I have enjoyed the posts by everyone and it is one of my fondest dreams to return to Japan someday.
by Lori rate this post as useful

Arigatou gozaimasu 2007/11/23 07:57
Lori san

Thank you for the explanation from you very much. I was born in Negishi. The video is a very good memories for me. The manager of the club was Gotou. He is managing the bar with Motomachi now.

Yes, I live in the hill of Hodogaya now. The field is here. The shopping street of Nakamura Bashi is the same as 1970s.

Did you go to the restaurant "Dolphin" near the fire station of Negishi?
The beach of Negishi was able to be seen there in old times. The oil industrial complex there now. You might also know it. I played with mom on the beach there in childhood.

Kaoru

Hey Dave! 2007/11/23 11:02
I lived in Nagai Heights in 77-78 and went to Sullivan's. I was in the 3rd grade when we left for Hawaii. Were some fun times in Nagai, exploring the caves along the beach. Do you remember every weekend with the people flying the remote-control planes in the neighborhood?

Happy Thanksgiving to all,

John
by John rate this post as useful

Bayside Courts 2007/11/24 02:01
I stayed at Bayside Courts for several weeks both at the beginning and the end of my time in Japan. Lori is correct about the facilities there. In addition to the Military Police, my unit the US Army Veterinary Detachment Yokohama Branch has quarters there for the enlisted and officers. To the best of my knowledge there were about 8 food inspectors and one Captain that stayed there this would be 1967-69. Also there were personel from the printing office [ as I learned from the previous posts]. There was an officers club on the hill behind the main set of buildings. The small restaurant was called the " Main Brace" and sat about 20 people and was mostly a breakfast and lunch place. In addition Bayside courts had a barber shop. The barbers would give you this little neck massage at the end of your haircut. Kind of like Karate chops that were just on the edge of getting beat up. Also there was a small room that housed a woman who would sew on patches. Once when I got a promotion I went to her and got my new Spec 5 stripes on and the other two guys went out to celebrate there promotion ans didn't have there new stripes on the next day and were "out of uniform". Bayside also had a building that were used for classrooms and offered free Japanese language classes. We took some of these classes but gave up as we seemed to be making more progress on out own. Now the blockbuster. On the bottom floor of the end building to the right all the way to the end and next to the tunnel the facilities included a massage parlor. I went once towards the end of my stay and was amazed that no one told me about this service before. There was no " hanky Panky" that I was aware of but I had the impression that it might have been possible to secure some kind of special services. This massage parlor was not listed in any bulletins that I remember and seemed to be some kind of unspoken secret.
No one ever talked about it. This alone gives rise to the impression that there may have been something else going on. Bayside had a Japanese security guard on duty at the gates. I spent one evening trying to talk with him and get him to teach me some Japanese. Perhaps I was in a place that I was not supposed to be but he did help me even though he was a little annoyed at my being there.
The base had a transportation section and the dispatcher was a nice lady who would help you out with all kinds of little things. Once i was moving and she set me up with a couple of guys with a pick up truck to move my stuff to my new apartment. I had the impression from the other guys in my unit that she was able to facilitate lots of stuff. Exatly what that was I'm not sure. So It seems that there was a little "underground" to all of this. A personal note. After 18 months of searching I was able to find my old Friend John Boyle. It is such a nice thing to make these connections again.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Sankeien Garden 2007/11/24 22:28

Sankeien 2007/11/25 13:46
Kaoru san There are two views of the gardens on You tube. Hey, you could go there tomorrow if you wanted to. I used to go to the gardens sometimes for a little peace and quiet, which was hard for me to find in Yokohama. Can you see Fuji san from your house ? On a clear day I could see the mountain from the top of my apartment building. Back then Yokohama was very polluted and much smog.[ dirt in the air] I believe it is much better now. Peter [ 3 dozen] my last name in Japanese.

Hey, Peter... 2007/11/26 00:24
Japan obviously has done a complete rethink on the subject of its environment since we were there. From pictures I have seen, virtually every road is paved (taking a lot of fugitive dust out of the air) harbors are clean and emissions from steel and petrochemical plants are tightly regulated. This has improved the quality of life for everyone and added years to the average lifespan in an industrialized nation.
Sankein was a great place to get away to, as you say, but there was another spot my pals and I liked to visit, although not a park at all. This was a dockage where teak logs were floated in from the Philippines and SE Asia, tied together in big rafts. We liked to walk out on these logs because they smelled so aromatic. This was walking distance from the PX complex. We called the place "Jellyfish Harbor" because there were thousands of these creatures blocked in by the logs. I stepped on a dead jellyfish as a youngster on a beach near Kamakura and immediately felt liked I had been branded with a red hot steel wire. The thing may have been dead but it still had a terrific punch.
There were other piers nearby where tough looking, tatooed longshoremen unloaded freight. On hot days these guys wore a brief version of a sumo outfit. It was a good place to add to my "blue" Japanese vocabulary.
by Eric rate this post as useful

Mt.Fuji , Hanami in Sakeien Garden 2007/11/26 01:35
Hi,

Yes, the environment of Yokohama has been improved. Smog here has decreased. To our regret, Mt.Fuji cannot be seen from my house. As for it, a lot of public apartments were constructed.

The river in Honmoku was lost. As for it, drainage was built under the soil.

The boat of the pond of Sankeien Garden was abolished to 1970s. I enjoyed it for 100 yen an hour in childhood.

The Japanese has the custom of Hanami in spring. A lot of people have the party in Sankeien Garden under the cherry blossoms tree.

japan envirement 2007/11/26 02:02
Hi Eric. As Japan was new to me when I arrived it was hard to put into perspective the degree of polution that was in the air. Later when my wife joined me, she was troubled with some breathing problems. We came to know this as Yokohama asthma. Working at the Meadow Gold Milk plant just north of north pier I would go up on the roof of the building and test a half pint of chocolate milk [ that dispite being reconstitutied tasted pretty good] any way especially on monday mornings you could see the bay and beyond until the steel factories and shipyards fired up their boilers. The smog would roll over the city of Kawasaki and by 10 o'clock would cover yokohama with this overcast. It took me some time to figure out that this was man made. I had thought that this was the "normal" envirement. The water in the harbor as you would expect was oily and full of trash. We didn't even think of swimming in it. Went camping in Matsushima and the water there was wonderful. Matsushima is perhaps the most beautiful place on earth. We camped on one of the hundreds of small islands and slept under a rough cover. The island had wild orchids growing all over it and the trees were just like bonsai. truly magic. As for BLUE. Back in Yokohama my Japanese guy friends took us out for sushi at this obscure little place that I figure was about 20 blocks northwest of isezachi cho. When we were almost finished this loud buzzer or bell rang. We asked what that ment and was told that it was for the "blue movies". It took us a moment to figure out what that ment and when we did I asked my wife if she would like to see them, which she didn't.[ I would have, being interested in all aspects of Japanese culture, if you buy that] but the moment passed and never came again. We did know one phrase which is well known Baka meaning fool. Once when my parents came for a visit in the winter [ why that time of year?] My wife picked them up at Yokohama station in a snowstorm [ not that bad by new england standards] anyway the taxi driver tried to con her into buying some snow chains for his cab.She didn't go for this and an arguement insued and she called him a baka-mono. I am glad I was not there as this was not too elegant of a moment. They took the trolly instead. From what I can see Yokohama is now as clean as any large city, better than many I expect.

Hanami 2007/11/26 02:38
Kaoru san . I remember Hanami. Even here in New Hampshire I take a moment to appreciate the blossoms. But they are apple not cherry. I had a hanami party once in japan. It was not true Japanese as we had whiskey and hamburgers. We enjoyed the sakura in the garden of the house next to our apartment. a Japanese friend was sorry to correct us that the flower was wisteria [fuji] and not sakura.We had a good laugh because we were stupid foreigners but were forgiven as we were at least celebrating in the spitit of Hanami. I even wrote a song in the Koto style called Hana no Hana . I have an ear for music, my japanese friends asked where I learned this song on guitar and I told them that I had written it. They spoke to themselves in Japanese which I did not understand but i was able to figure out that they did not believe me that I had written this authentic sounding Japanese song. They were so sweet, they told me that it was very good anyway. Nan da ka ne.

Anderson san 2007/11/26 03:46
Konnichiwa, Peter san

It is three o'clock of midnight in Japan now. I am making the plan of a new project. A lot of Japanese drink with Hanami. And, Karaoke is sung. I was so 20 years ago. However, it hardly drinks now because I have the affection of the liver.

Please let me question.

My father was working in the Yamate police station until about 1970s. His work was a detective.

We frequently visited the house of the naval officer who called Anderson san. He was lt.commander,retired service.

His house was near the Motomachi park Yamate street. He showed me a lot of orders. And, he tried to give me the silver star. However, I returned it to him. It is honored of him. Afterwards, my father was transferred to the Isezaki police station. He died several years later. Anderson san seems to be sleeping in the foreigner graveyard. He was a very kind officer.

Please teach if you know him. To our regret, his full name is not known.

Anderson san 2007/11/26 04:31
I am sorry I do not know Anderson san. If he is buried in yokohama then he may have been married to a japanese woman, You could try the grave office. Also you said about orders. What kind were they that might help. Take care of yourself Get some sleep.
by petre rate this post as useful

Page 24 of 233: Posts 461 - 480 of 4651
prev
1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 233
next

reply to this thread