Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 3 of 6: Posts 41 - 60 of 110
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6
next

da Silva Family in Yokohama 2006/4/1 04:09
Hi; I came across your query about a mamber of the da Silva family. I was born and raised in Yokohama and went to school at St. Joseph's College in Yokohama with the da Silva boys. I believe Edmundo was the first cousin t the da Silvas I knew. The two brothers I grew up with are both living in the San Francisco Bay area. Their names are Hugo daSilva and Fr. Jorge da Silva. I am sure they could put you in touch with Edmundo if he is still in Japan.
by Mike Apcar rate this post as useful

.. 2006/4/1 05:00
Mike read the entire post, they have reunited I believe already.
by .. rate this post as useful

Yokohama 2006/5/4 20:27
I live in Yokohama. Im stationed over here. Im in the U. S. Navy, ive been here for 4 years. I love it here. The Navy will be sending me back to America, I do not want to go. My wife was raised here and my son was born here as well. what a city
by double m rate this post as useful

mass chedule 2006/12/22 11:41
hello i just want to know the mass chedule for chritmas celebration if there is an schedule during 24 of december in the evening....
by cheng rate this post as useful

Who remembers me? 2007/3/1 15:47
went to st: maurs during 1957-59 am looking for amy eaton she lived in sagiyama hill as i did. any body know her?
by Gloria Gioulis rate this post as useful

da Silva 2007/3/17 10:20
I attended St. Joseph's College in Yokohoma on the Bluff, and know Paul da Silva as a classmate in 5th and 6th grades, in the mid 50's. Does anyone know him?

I'd love to be in touch with him.

Thanks
by Dave Roberts rate this post as useful

Isezaki Street 1952-1953 2007/3/20 03:34
My brother is always thinking about his time in service during 1952-53. He surely must have fond memories of the life there. Is it possible that someone could send him pictures of that area today? He does not have computer and hopes I can bring him a sincere response. Wishes he could have stayed in that time of his life.

thanks
by Jeanette Werstein rate this post as useful

photo exibition 2007/3/20 10:25
I just saw a photo exhibition here in Yokohama that featured photos from the 50s Yokohama. The following is the gist of it. I wish you all could see all the photos in the museum.

http://www.tohatsu.city.yokohama.jp/
by Uco rate this post as useful

St. Maurs school 2008/1/29 05:20
I lived in Yokohama in base housing from 191949-early 1953. I attended St. Maurs 1-3rd grades & only remember about 3 Americans attending at the time. If you went to St. Maurs during this period, I would be excited to hear from you.
by Suzanne Moore Monroy rate this post as useful

The Bluff 2008/3/21 09:24
Ilived on the Bluff for 16 years and attended SJC scool and in my brothers class that graduated in 1955 there was a William Da Silva DOB:17/9/1936 plus lots of Da siva's in our school. Try SJC Alumni list showing at least 6-7 Da Silva's. As a matter of fact one DaSilva married one of my best friends oldest sister in Japan back in the 50's ??
Good luck
by G Moses rate this post as useful

Sagiyama and the Bluff 2008/5/8 13:20
My family lived on Sagiyama Ridge for a short while in 1957 when we first arrived in Japan. We moved to 243-1B Yamate-cho on the Bluff and lived there for two years. I have fond memories of those years living among the Japanese people. I attended Negishi Heights Elemetary (Byrd now) and have been trying to locate classmates for about 20 years. My older brother attended St. Joseph's, his name is Jack. Here are some names of old classmates, are you guys out there?
Sandford (Sandy) Eguchi
Tommy Merrit/ Warren Merritt
Ronald (Ronnie) Diaz
Everett Willis/Dianna Willis
Joan Gogun
George (Bubba) Terrill/Sharon Terrill
Eric Olver
Barbara Ownby
Marie Laurintano
Bobbie Lucas

I am also trying to locate our loving, live-in maid, Asai Ishikawa. Her father was a tailor in Yokohama. She married a man named Kenji (?) and had a son while we were there.

We moved to Yokosuka in 1961 and although it was nice it wasn't as nice as the Bluff.

If anyone has any information on any of this please let me know

I enjoyed reading the postings and reminiscing.

Dave Caranci
by Dave Caranci rate this post as useful

for Gloria Gioulis 2008/9/28 08:18
Gloria, I knew Amy Eyton (Eaton). She was in the 6th grade whilst I was in the 8th. Why don't you try emailing alumni stmaur.ac.jp? Someone may know of Amy's whereabouts. Good Luck!
by Helen rate this post as useful

Donny Moses on the Bluff in 1949-52 2010/2/15 03:03
Fascinating string of information and memories. I lived on th Bluff (eventually 3 years at 48-C, designed by Antonin Raymond) from 1949 to 1955. Went to St. Joseph's College 1949-52 with my brother Chris. And am wondering if G. Moses is related to an old lost Australian friend Donny Moses?
by Halsey rate this post as useful

Susan Vargas? 2010/4/5 04:35
Stumbled on this thread and wondered if you are the Susan Vargas from my 5th & 6th grade class at ST MAUR? I only went there for those two years but lived on the bluff as well and spent the years '65-'72 living in Yokohama. Part of the Carter family back then-there were 6 of us kids but only 3 of us attended St. Maur.
my graduating class is '76.

I am also living in CA but in Long Beach-
by shiborigirl rate this post as useful

Yokohama SJC 2010/4/14 07:20
Hi everone from Yokohama
I am Kenneth Fernandes class of 1964
Attended the full 12 years

Its nice to hear there are so many of you guys out there.
If the name rings a bel write
By the way Theres the Da Silva's and
the Dasilvas but they are mostly related
by Ken Fernandes (guest) rate this post as useful

More a question than an answer..... 2010/8/10 03:38
I have checked with Google maps, and found the major landmarks that concern me, and thereby verified that what is/was called 'The Bluff' is indeed this area.
I have found:
Christ Church,
The French School of Saint Maur, and,
A cemetery which seems to match the description I have of the Foreigners' Cemetery.
The account I have is one written by my late father's late sister. She wrote:

Yokohama and the Bluff

The first memories I have are of Yokohama, where we arrived in 1906 and the Settlement which was partly surrounded by the Bluff and facing the sea. The Settlement was an area of shops, businesses, entertainments where the Japanese lived, and the China Town. The Europeans lived on the Bluff.

We lived in many houses - I don't know why - and all of them were wooden. Our longest stay was in 52 B the Bluff, half way up the hill. The Gaiety Theatre, Christ Church and three or four schools were on the Bluff, including le Couvent de St Maur which Mamie & I went to and College of St Joseph where Dick went.

At the bottom of the Bluff was a street which ran to a temple, and fairs were held there twice a month. There was lots of excitement with coloured lights and stalls where they spun sugar into candy-floss and others where they steamed hot sweet potatoes and many more. We were allowed to go down to the fairs with Amah, it was a great treat.

We seemed to have a good many earthquakes and though no damage seemed to be done they were still terrifying and the noise was horrible.

There was a lovely camelia in the garden of 52 B - a double flat pink flower - I've never seen one like it since. The almond and cherry blossom was lovely in the Settlement, and chrysanthamum shows were held there featuring tableaux made in square cubicles depicting samurai and the like, all formed with the flower heads.

They went to Japan with my grandfather, Talbot Richard Smith, and his wife, Annie May. They stayed there until Grandfather died. He was ill with angina when they went out there looking for a better climate, and indeed, though he died in 1915, it is dubious that he would have lived that long in England.

Norah also wrote:

Daddy (TRS) went on one occasion to Formosa and later to Korea. He wrote to Mother every day, letters which made her laugh. Mamie (FMS) went to Korea with him as interpreter (aged ten!). She was in tears one morning because she could not comb out her long hair. He took the comb and did it for her gently and painlessly.

Daddy also went to Kyushu with Mother and Dick, to a gold mine this time. Mamie and I joined them there for school holidays. Again we were the only Europeans but we had learned to speak Japanese very early on.

Back in Yokohama, Laura Elizabeth was born in 1912. In the next year or so, Daddy, Mother and 'Baby Betty' went back to Hokkaido where the paper mill had broken down. It was not a very happy return as the Japanese felt they had 'lost face' by having to get him back. He was also being troubled by worsening Angina.

They returned to Yokohama in the spring of 1915 and Daddy had to go into hospital. Mother and Betty stayed with the Hendersons, Bob and Carrie, who had been our neighbours and very good friends. Carrie was Betty's godmother.

It was decided to return to England, but Daddy became very ill and died. He was buried in the Cemetery on the Bluff, near the convent. Because of the earthquakes, so common there, Mother chose a flat grave stone with a cross also laid flat across it. So Mother brought us home in the first year of the 14 - 18 War.

My wife and I would love to go on a family pilgrimage to retrace my grandfather's steps, and maybe, even after this long stretch of time, get a feel of this wonderful land which all the tellers of this tale were happy to express.

Norah recounts how Grandfather set up a paper mill in Hokkaido, she talks of Ibetsu, and the river Ishibari, which I am convinced is Ebetsu and the river Ishikary. Here is what she writes:

In Ibetsu, Hokkaido

We were there at the beginning of our Japan visit, and at the end, Mother, Daddy & Betty were there. We were the only Europeans there and the Japanese children used to follow us around and stare at us. There was a muddy salmon river there called the Ishibari and plenty of wild country around. The field opposite where we lived was full of clover, including, four, five and seven leaved varieties. When we were first there, the snow came and the road grew higher than the house, (and Daddy had a bad heart!).

We saw our first cinematograph there - an English, (or American), film - a house fire involving a child. Other modern signs were electricity in the house which was a contrast to our experiences when we returned to England and Scotland some ten years later. Back home, for many years we still had to use oil lamps! (In Killearn, that was).

Daddy had to go there to set up a paper mill, and six years later, he had to return to repair it as the Japanese technicians were then not yet experienced enough to maintain it properly.

She goes on to tell about work in Kyushu, at a gold mine, she writes:

In Kyushu

To get there, we had to travel, (From Yokohama and School), by train, ferry boat and jinrickshaw. We were again the only Europeans. It was a warm hilly country. We had kimonos made for us children but the Japanese jeered when we went out in them. We always wore 'getta', the wooden sandal/clogs Amah is wearing at 52B and had great fun when we had to get new straps for them. The open fronted shops had bunches of these gorgeously coloured straps hanging up and it was an agony trying to choose.

Daddy was there at a goldmine and there was an overhead cableway which carried the ore from the mine to the smelting works. This cableway ran right over the house where we stayed, and its noise made us feel as if we were still in the train. I can still hear it today!

She continues to give a brief account of the French convent school of Saint Maur on the Bluff:

The Convent on the Bluff

The Convent was run by the Sisters of the Sacré Coeur, who were nearly all French, but there were two Irish Sisters who taught English and an English Sister who taught the lower form. She was Mme St Wilfred, and she had a fearsome temper. The two Irish Sisters were Mme St Mary and Mme St Dunstan, and they were both dears.

The Convent was in three parts:-

For the European expatriates, mainly Eurasians, but a few Russian refugees and some English,

For the paying Japanese and Chinese, and

For the Japanese Orphans, who were the raison d'être of the convent.

The non European parts of the Convent were taught by Japanese nuns and we had no contact with them except that they all attended chapel every morning, (at 7:30), with us. The nuns were very good to us, for though we were boarders there when our parents were away in Hokkaido and Kyushu, they never tried to proselytise.

She closes the tales of their life in Japan with an account of their final stay in a place she calls 'Hachiojiyama' about a 20 minute tram ride from The Bluff, where she was still attending school, which I estimate to be about 8km, (5 miles), and the only place I can find which remotely fits is Hakkeijima, which does sound similar, she writes:

Hachiojiyama

Hachiojiyama was the name of the hill where we all lived together for the last time in Japan. It is a few miles out of Yokohama, a sea-side village where a 'Society Beach' attracted people from Yokohama. Our hill was at one end of the beach, and they were lovely sands, and the house had been built next to the site of an old temple which had been pulled down because the government had said there were too many temples there. The way up to the house was by the old temple steps, and people used to leave offerings to the gods on the top steps, and our bantams greatly appreciated them!

We had a lovely life there, surrounded by wild country, and overlooking the sea. We had a boat on the beach and the sea was safe so we were allowed to use it anytime. Bathing was lovely, but in the Summer we had to wear something on the feet as the sand became too hot to walk on. We also bathed in the evenings, when the sand was cooler.

We did have to go to school, so we used to walk to the tram terminus, then it took, I think, about twenty minutes into Yokohama, then we had to climb up the Bluff from the landward side. I can remember the unpleasantness of the trip during the rains which were called the 'Nyubai', and although we had oilskins, we always got soaked.

There were large trees around the house and we had a hammock strung up which gave us enormous fun. There were many eucalyptus there and the air was heavy with their scent.

As Daddy had been in the Merchant Navy before he married, he must have had a fellow feeling for the officers of the ships that called in at Yokohama, so we often used to have evenings of jollification, when we had ships' officers singing round the piano which Mother played, while Daddy joined in with his banjo. I think 'Alexander's Ragtime Band' was new then, and 'Hitchikoo' was another that I remember, but mostly we had Harry Lauder favourites.

No servant would live in the house as they said it was haunted by the 'Khitsune', a fox, but we never saw any. As children, we liked the Japanese women, but not the men. There was a China Town in Yokohama where the smells were dreadful.

There now, here is some ancient history, and tales of a time before things turned sour.
The sourness now has passed. It is time to look again at the good times.
by Khitsune rate this post as useful

Who Remembers Me? 2010/8/21 15:24
Amy Eaton is my cousin and still lives in Japan. Her brother Richard lives in San Francisco and can provide you her address. You can contact Richard at Rfukatsu@sbcglobal.net
by Bill Fehlen (guest) rate this post as useful

For Gloria Gioulis 2010/8/21 15:29
As I indicated in my response to Gloria's question seeking Amy Eaton. I am Amy's cousin. Richard Fukatsu who resides in Hercules, California is Amy's brother and his email address is rfukatsu@sbcglobal.net.
Good Luck.
by Bill Fehlen (guest) rate this post as useful

Possible explanation of Hachiojiyama 2010/8/29 08:28
Norah talks of Hachiojiyama as being a sea-side village, 20 minutes tram ride from The Bluff.
Actually, Hachiojiyama is about 30 km inland from Yokohama. The two are clearly not the same.
In my calculations, I assumed a reasonable average tram speed of 15mph. However, in 1914, 13kph max speed was more the rule, so my guess of 8km was over optomistic, and 3-4 km was more likely.
Old maps of The Bluff area show a tramway to a bathing beach, and a village called Hommoku, at about 3km distance. The beach is now reclaimed land, but the old shoreline is still marked by the boundaries of a parkland, which seems to match the description of a hill covered by Eucalypts at one end of what was the shoreline. I have to assume that the name Hachiojiyama was imaginary translocation of the castle there, to the ruins of the destroyed temple she reports. Grandfather clearly had a wonderful way with his children, and he never isolated his children from the Japanese, indeed, he used his second daughter as an interpreter on his missions to Formosa and Chosen. The Children all had Japanese nick-names, Norah, the eldest was called Nónó, Florence-May, the next was Mémé, My father, Richard-Talbot was Deka, and Elizabeth, the baby, was Baba.
The Girls went to St Maur, and Father, to St Joseph's.
by Khitsune rate this post as useful

question 2010/9/25 17:54
Even tho many years have gone by I was wondering if Vargas everlocated Edmundo. I attended St. Joseph's and do know him.
by john lipset (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 3 of 6: Posts 41 - 60 of 110
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6
next

reply to this thread