Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 3 of 3: Posts 41 - 52 of 52
prev
1 2 3

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/5 07:49
Here, might be of help to the OP. Get opinion directly from an Immigration Lawyer.
https://oishioffice.com/
by Luckygirl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/5 15:13
@Rejo I really appreciate your detailed and well written replies, and have also read everyone's replies in this thread. It seems there are several ways to proceed, though it would of course be best to consult an expert once I have something more concrete in mind.

At this stage since I am in a better position to deal with immigration/relevant authorities the business will probably be in my name, as her Japanese literacy is not as good as mine. I can then have her as a director and she can help take care of the book-keeping of the company, since she has a finance background.
I am aware we will need to hire at least one, preferably more Japanese citizens for this to work.

We are just brainstorming ideas as to what kind of business someone with my background can do well in. What some of the earlier posters seem to think is that it will be a business in name only. That is not the case, since I will still need to earn my keep, even if my mother does not. She may well have over a million dollars but not me, so I actually need this to be profitable. What it does mean though is that as others have mentioned she can help with the setup costs and possibly even shoulder losses for the first couple years, so I will not be forced to close up if I do not turn a profit immediately.

Thinking of business options, if I were to buy an empty warehouse/s and rent it out, or similar real estate investments, can I set up a company that way? We have family who are into that kind of business back home. She could oversee the bookkeeping side of things and I can do the grunt work such as meeting prospective tenants, dealing with real-estate agent, weeding/maintaining the premises etc.
Real estate is not very expensive in Japan compared to back home, so this may be viable.

Another idea that crossed my mind is crypto, could I buy a large shed, fill it with say $50k worth of miners and run that as a business with goal to buy another $50k once it takes off? Part of this depends on how easily available CMP cards are after the covid crisis is over. Such a business would also be able to do general investments such as investing her and my money in Japanese EFTs/shares which will add to the profits while providing proof of our contribution to the country's economy by directly investing into the equities market. And then it allows me to hire people to look after the machines and help with maintanance.

Both of these are cleaner and easier than the tried and tested open a restaurant route, though we are considering that too. It's just that while my extended family may well have experience owning a restaurant, they do not run it which is completely different from just owning the land. While I have some limited experience with crypto mining and she has a background in finance and family background in real estate.
by Jackson78 rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/5 16:09
if I were to buy an empty warehouse/s and rent it out, or similar real estate investments, can I set up a company that way?

What you don't seem to understand is that Japan is governed by law and rules. It's not a theme park. To work as a doctor in Japan you need a Japanese medical licence. To work in real estate you need a real estate agent licence. You need to pass the exam and know law and related matters of real estate of Japan. The exam is of course in Japanese.

Another idea that crossed my mind is crypto
After Mt Gox there is no way you get a visa for crypto and even worst: you don't need to be in Japan for crypto business. A business owner needs to demonstrate that he/she needs to be in Japan. Does such company need to be registred in Japan? NO!

Both of these are cleaner and easier than the tried and tested open a restaurant route, though we are considering that too.
Business visa for a Malaysian restaurant. Mmmmhh...I highly doubt that.

You are clearly demonstrating you are just looking for a business visa to stay in Japan. Not trying to bring something to the country. Bringing something to the country is actually also part of the deal.
by Man (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/5 16:33
Why does it need to be Japan?

In an early post someone mentioned that there are other countries with a much more welcoming attitude towards rich foreigners wanting to emigrate to their country. Japan isnft one of them.

So are you looking into alternatives, where your mothers wealth might actually get her a visa (or even citizenship) and you could try to get a work visa?
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/5 16:52
there is no regulation to lend warehouses.
but, to lend them, your staying in Japan is not necessary.
that situation is also applied to investing in stock market and other investments.
ask a professional. he/she will explain you what is possible and what is impossible.

the action of rich (and ordinary too) people in Japan is that they hire necessary professionals to get valuable information. it is wasting your time to collect information from random websites.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/6 01:52
Generally people do something (e.g. work) in Japan then think of becoming a PR and Japanese citizen. However, you and your mother think of becoming a PR/ Japanese citizen from the first so try to find a way for that and it seems to be a business.

Mmm... ok, some people like you have managed to find a way to get a visa as a first step but at least they respect Japan laws, customs and culture, appreciating advice based on experience and common sense from actual life in Japan. What many people here repeat are this kind of advice, don't ignore them if you really like to migrate to Japan.

And, I tell you also that 'crypto' is a key word that people in Japan react bad way. There are so many scams by 'I'm an investor' guys from certain countries and (sadly) my country in Asia.
by majimenagaijin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/6 15:21
There has been some very useful information provided by some people in this thread. Please note the question is "how do we migrate to Japan" not "why we should or should not migrate to Japan". I do not think the hostility from some users is justified. @Man (guest) you are welcome to just ignore me. I have actually read everyone's comments including yours. However your replies are more along the lines of why I should not come rather than how I can overcome the hurdles required. Seeing as the tone is getting increasingly hostile I thought I should set it straight here, I have noted your points but please keep it civil. You are welcome to your opinion. In not replying to you directly I was trying to avoid conflict over what is to me a non-negotiable thing.

I already know it is an uphill challenge which is why I am getting advice and considering all angles on the HOW, not the WHY. There are many reasons for moving to Japan and they are not relevant to this thread. I am also well aware there will always be a section of society in any country for reasons justified or not that do not welcome foreigners especially if they do not believe said foreigner is contributing enough. It just happens that in Japan there are more of such people and the bar for "contributing enough" is comparatively higher and I am aware of that issue. I am also well aware that due to aging population and general tendency towards nationalism rather than globalism in Japan that compounds the problem. There were already many threads discussing such issues, some of which I have read. This is not one of them.

I will let immigration decide based on the merit of my future application and nothing is even set in stone yet.

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/6 16:12
Please note the question is "how do we migrate to Japan" not "why we should or should not migrate to Japan".

You should understand that all 'useful' information posted by sincere people including @Man are NOT why you should/shouldn't immigrate to Japan. Those are reasons for answers to your question, which is 'almost no ways'.

Globalism isn't blaming the other countries where don't make your dream comes true. Nationalism isn't being a country where doesn't make your dream comes true.
by lol (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/6 16:29
Contributing enough? You must be joking.
by Liang (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/6 20:46
Thanks for replies everyone, especially @Rejo and @LikeBike. I think I have gathered enough information to make a shortlist of things I would like to ask the immigration lawyer when the time comes. @Man @Liang @Lol I think we should probably best agree to disagree, there is no need for us to have conflict, I just disagree that I should just give up, please do not take it personally. Either way I won't bother you anymore now since this thread has got me the pointers/inspiration that I have set out to achieve in making it.
I will now move on to the next phase of my plan which is to find an immigration lawyer and probably also a business advisor to discuss what our options are. And someone above mentioned it is a waste of money, but we would still rather get an expert opinion before giving up, as the plan may just be workable, others here have mentioned several possibilities which I need to discuss in more detail with a professional. It would be wrong to just throw in the towel just because it is hard.

Thanks again everyone and bye for now.

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/6 21:42
Yes, just see what immigration decide, you will realize who are real trolls. Good luck.

P.S I personaly want somebody to open a Malaysian restaurant :D
by Foodie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Migrating with mother who is high net worth 2021/9/7 10:58
There are quite a few Malaysian restaurant around, in Tokyo ward and Kansai.

And to OP, there are few Malaysian in Japan Facebook group, with members who own businesses , professional etc. who maybe can give you some pointer.

And as other have mentioned over and over, waving money around immigration won't easily get you visa/residency.
Its the land of paperwork bureaucracy, get you paper in order, satisfy the requirement and hope for the best.

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 3 of 3: Posts 41 - 52 of 52
prev
1 2 3

reply to this thread