Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 4 of 6: Posts 61 - 80 of 101
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6
next

i wondered 2007/7/1 09:51
I wondered briefly about this. But not enough to care.

I don't know that Japanese are getting 'fatter.' I know some and I feel quite built to one of the guys (that's saying something, I'm a girl and am not overweight). But there are some Japanese guys more built (muscled, fit) than some of your average westerners. It depends on lifestyle I imagine.
And if you're 6'5" I don't think height is a concern in Japan. If it bothers you in America, it's gonna bother you no matter where you go. I'd work it.
by symaz rate this post as useful

weight height 2007/7/13 03:38
I noticed that, too. Most People would be underweight here if judged just height-weight-wise. But then again, they are build very differently...
A japanese friend once told me that around 160cm would be average height for a woman in her 20th but older people are a lot smaller 140-150cm. Don't know how accurate that is though.
by Miz003 rate this post as useful

japanese guy ... 2007/9/6 07:39
there was a japanese guy at my school and i'm 5"7 at least and he had to be almost 5"11... but he was much taller than me, and it doesnt matter what height you are because there are short and tall people in japan =)
by rachelxoxo rate this post as useful

All you"180-cm-and-below-folks".. 2007/9/6 09:01
...don't worry. You will definitely not be standing out with that height, except you stick with Japanese 50 years of age or older. Elsewise, the younger folks reach definitely 180cm +!!! I remember more than 20 years ago, when I came to Japan for the first time, I was "overlooking" everyone! The average at that time might have been 155cm to 160cm. The average that was quoted earlier is definitely including the older generation, too. So, it is not relevant at all!
by klaus rate this post as useful

I feel short 2007/10/13 20:31
This is interesting but also disheartening as im only 5"8 and i feel short everywhere, mostly at school. Majority of australians are tall. I want to feel tall. :(

I too was under the impression that many japanese weren't tall, now i know better.
by ben rate this post as useful

height 2007/10/13 21:41
You will feel taller in Japan than you do in Australia, I can guarantee you that.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/13 23:23
I'm 25 an I live in Nagoya. I'm around 189 cm and I am virtually taller than everyone I meet. I go on trains alot and can always see over everyones heads. There are a few tall people here, but I've been here 2 years and have probably only seen 5 Japanese taller than me.
by Dave rate this post as useful

How about short people? 2007/10/14 06:18
So if tall people are "admired" in Japan, whats the view on short people? I'm 5'3 & 20 y/o(can't expect to grow much more -_-) and I'm feeling a bit concerned if my height is going to cause some problems socially...
by Chris rate this post as useful

haha u think you got it bad mate 2007/10/14 14:24
Lol I'm 14, a girl and 5'11. I'm not that tall judging by some replies you've gotten and don't sweat it just have fun with it! I'm going in january and I'm also white as with blue-green eyes and i dont care. Lol yet again i am a bit of a freak any way so im just used to it haha dont stress mate she'll be right
by Kiwi rate this post as useful

Ummm 2007/10/14 15:07
If it makes you feel any better my best friend is 6"8' inches tall, that big by anyones stanard, but i wouldn't care if he was 10 foot tall. Height shouldn't be a concern, even though you may get looks, smile, wave and continue on your way. ^_^
by Cody rate this post as useful

Am I too tall? 2007/10/20 19:38
Will I be too tall if I go Japan as I am 2.15m and I am 12 yrs
by James rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/20 22:31
Really?

... 2007/10/21 00:48
if you are really 2.15m then you are taller than just about everyone everywhere and should get used to it.

I don't understand why people worry about this so much. Even if Japan was an abnormally short country (it's not) it's not like you physically can't fit into things. And if you're worried about standing out just being non-japanese will make you stand out more than your height.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/21 01:36
Why are the older people so short? I went over to Japan this summer, and me, being about 5''I fit in with most of the people height wise, but I noticed the elderly were really short. Does anybody know why?
by Curious rate this post as useful

dont think about it 2007/10/21 06:08
honestly, i am 6*4, muscular, i couldnt care what people think of my height, il always be kind and receptive to anyone who talks to me, and try not to give an intimidating look haha
by ... rate this post as useful

food shortages 2007/10/21 08:59
A lot of the older people you see now were children during the war when Japan had severe food shortages and malnutrition basically stunted their growth.

Also the traditional diet was lower in protein and calcium than the modern diet - as the amount of dairy and meat consumed has increased, so has people's height, but along with it rates of heart disease and high cholesterol have also increased.

Animal protein seems to make people taller but it diesn't necessarily make them healthier.

Height?? 2007/11/30 20:44
Yup...this is stupid...i mean its the same all over the world..u see tall people u see short people....things cannot change....so dont be worried about...on the other hand...intelligence....is more important....can height gaurantee u a decent future??? Nay.....
by Yup... rate this post as useful

finally.. 2008/3/9 05:28
finally i found a thread ybout tall people, I'm female and about 1, 79cm. Even here in europe it's tall.

I can't really believe that japanese guys are over 1,80cm.
If you look at the heights of japanese stars...noone is really higher than 1, 80.
by yurimary rate this post as useful

Height 2008/3/9 08:27
There are plenty of Japanese guys over 180cm- almost all the sumo wrestlers for starters, and check out the men's volleyball team when you have a chance. On the women's volleyball team most of them are at least your height.

I'm 175cm (female) and I notice plenty of guys taller than me when standing on the train. Most would be under 40, and the younger you go, the more of them there are.

No Way! 2009/10/23 11:56
I'm 5' 9 and 1/2, and I went to Japan this summer. All the girls wear heals so they end up being around 5'5-5'8 and there are quit a few tall men, 6 ft and up. The older people are tiny but the younger generation has been eating that genetically enhanced American beef, so I think that's why they're taller. Any ways, you might feel a little tall, but if anything you'll feel more like a foreigner because there are so few of them there and you will feel thick compared to all the girls. Unless youfre a twig, theyfre all very skinny, like model skinny.
Have fun and donft worry about it!
by jenny sims (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 4 of 6: Posts 61 - 80 of 101
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6
next

reply to this thread