Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 5 of 7: Posts 81 - 100 of 129
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
next

thank you 2007/4/26 05:50
thank you Karan, but i am very determined, to become one.
by Payton rate this post as useful

sense of entitlement 2007/4/26 10:42
OK everyone who wants to be a geisha and is very determined to be one. That's great. Your parents must have made sure you have plenty of self-esteem. Go and get your dream. Then come back here and tell us how it goes! That way others can learn from your experience.
by sazae-san rate this post as useful

I know 2007/5/17 05:40
i'm 14 and i've waited and researched about becoming a geisha since 2005 and now that it's 2007 i'm ready to bust lose and brake the chains
my parents think i'm crazy but i know in my mind,heart,and soul that i want to become a geisha i know a little bit of japanese already since i've been studying it seems really touching to me that there are other girls that aren't japanese that desire to be geisha if anybody knows a way to help me please say good luck to you all by the way i'm an american
by angel geisah rate this post as useful

RE: An American geisha 2007/5/17 10:31
What Micheal says is true that Liza Dalby was called an American geisha but truth be known she never actually became one. She did an anthropological study back in the 70's and entered a geisha school for it but she only accompanied maiko and her services were never paid for by the clients. She wrote a book about it. You can find out more with a quick web search. Don't give up hope though! Just remember that if you are accepted the life of a geisha is really hard work. You have to study and practice for it for many years before you can even get to the geisha status. Also remember that Liza Dalby was fluent in Japanese and also was a highly skilled samisen player, which is why she was even considered being accepted at the school she did her study at. Good luck and I wish you all the best Denise!
by Deelah01 rate this post as useful

Oops! 2007/5/17 10:43
In my last line I meant to write good luck to Denise and all the others on the thread who wish to become geisha! As an afterthought I would also like to mention that it is true that geisha are fading from Japanese culture. It's probably due to all the rigors they have to go through to become successful at their trade and because of the fact that they can never marry if they wish to remain geisha. I don't think many people are that dedicated today. But if you truly are inspired to become a geisha then I believe you should follow your dreams and strive for what you want. Who knows, with the way things are today I believe that if you truly have the potential for it you will be accepted and can become very successful. Again, good luck all.
by DeeLAH01 rate this post as useful

Slim to Zero 2007/5/28 00:48
It's possible. But I've only heard, read and seen [as on t.v.] ONE american woman who was a Geisha. I think she is THE only non-Japanese Geisha woman.
by Nini rate this post as useful

western geisha would be nice! 2007/5/28 01:05
I'm a Japanese girl and I actually wanted to become a geisha before.
I know the lifestyle of geisha looks really beautiful and attractive. yet, you're still young - don't you think it is too early to decide what you're going to do for rest of your life?
I don't want to say anything bad but the job of geisha isn't just being beautiful - although they aren't prostitutes, they have to pour sake and entertain customers ( usually male, old and sometimes dirty-minded?)
If you really want to be a geisha, I recommend you to go to Gion-Kobu or Kamishichi-ken. Because they are considered classier than other 3 towns. Only when you wanna be a geisha in Kyoto. I don't know a lot about Tokyo - I think you can't be a geisha until you turn 18 there.
And remember, you can't earn money while you're maiko. You just get pocket money!
by natsu rate this post as useful

Simply stupid.... 2007/6/23 15:14
For all of you people who think that Japanese don't respond well to foreigners, let me tell you that that statement is simply stupid! What do Japanese girls want the most? To have blond hair and big eyes! Please research a little more on modern Japanese culture. Besides my best friend is Japanese and guess what nationality I am: Mexican!!

Imitation is the best way to flatter, and Japanese are fond of admiration, they admire and like to be admired. If you show that you truely admire and have put your soul into the Willow and Flower way of life, then you have a chance.

It's pretty stupid to generalize all Geisha, all Okiya (yes it's Okiya not Ochaya, the Ochaya is where they go to perform, do the Tea Ceremony and things, the Okiya is where they live), and all Okaasan. And also is very rude to say "Oh, no your have like no chance at all, don't dream about it cause you won't be able," etc etc. People said that mankidn would never got to space, and just a few weeks ago the first Space-tourist came back from a week of living in a space station.
So as many wisely said: Times change and so do people ^^

Gambatte kudasai!!

Jaa ne,
Akira-chan.
by Akira Sato rate this post as useful

... 2007/6/24 19:53
It is not rude for people who have knowledge of modern Japanese society to say "You have no chance of becoming a geisha", it is realistic. Just because that is not what people want to hear doesn't make it rude. If someone doesn't want to hear the answer "no", why bother asking?

We can try hard to achieve dreams, but in some cases dreams will stay dreams because they are not based in reality.
by Sira rate this post as useful

but... 2007/6/24 21:54
"For all of you people who think that Japanese don't respond well to foreigners, let me tell you that that statement is simply stupid! What do Japanese girls want the most? To have blond hair and big eyes! Please research a little more on modern Japanese culture."

First of all, what Japanese girls want is to be "kawaii", which at the moment means light hair and big eyes. But don't confuse adopting western beauty ideals with accepting foreigners- most Japanese fashions have developed into completely their own styles and the participants would be aghast if you reminded them them the looks they want originated in imported American material.

That aside, the only people who hire geisha now are extreme traditionalists. If they were interested in modern culture they'd be visiting hostess bars. Geisha are used when tradition is needed. For example, I've heard of geisha being hired is when a company treats a foreign executive to a night of geisha entertainment to show him the ultimate luxury in Japanese entertainment. I've also seen geisha accompanying businessmen to shrines on special days or out suring hanami season. These events are all trying to capture something about Japan. A foreign geisha would not be fit for the task because she doesn't represent Japan in the way these customers would want Japan to be represented. Being a geisha isn't about what you want to do, it's about who the clients want to hire. It's a business, like anything else.
by Kate rate this post as useful

don't let go of your dream 2007/7/14 02:18
first of i would like to say to all the girls who dreams of becoming a geisha, don't let go of that dream.
in kyoto there is a organization called Ookini Zaidan, they help girls to become a maiko and it is written in english, but they don't have a e-mail only a telephone number, here is the http://kyoto-gion-corner.info/index.html. it is not totally impossibly to become a maiko, just look at the maiko komomo she actually mexican and chinese. plus girls if you don't know japanese, start learning it know and practice it every day, start learning nihon buyo, ikebana and tea ceremony if you can these thing there is a chance you might make it, you can always try the tokyo geisha( they are less strict then the kyoto geisha). i my self is trying to become a maiko :)
by suzuharu rate this post as useful

i really want to become a geisha 2007/8/2 03:31
i am 13 years old and want to become a geisha i have read memoirs of a geisha and have seen the movie i am now obseed with geisha and really want to become one.If i wasn't able to become a geisha i would like to own a okiya in england please can someone give me some advice on my dream
by ellie rate this post as useful

learn Japanese 2007/8/2 09:16
Look for somewhere you can take classes in Japanese language, tea ceremony, Japanese dance, instruments like shamisen and koto. Start saving to visit Japan so you can see what the country is like in the 21st century. I can't really think of what else you could do towards your dream at this stage.

Start a revelution 2007/8/5 05:21
From reading these comments i have noticed that there are so many people who want to be geisha, so why not? you may think that i am sounding crazy, but why not find a geisha willing to teach you the art (easier said than done, i know) and bring it to the west. if the art is dying out, then revive it!!!!
by Alex rate this post as useful

Geisha girl 2 2007/8/5 10:23
i wanna b a geisha 2 but i am aussie and my rents would never approve of it and i learnt a bit of japanese in primary school but now i am going 2 teach myself some from the internet (unless someone else could plz plz help me) lol so anyway i hope you fulfill ur dream denise and maybe one day when we are both geisha's we will meet
by ruby rate this post as useful

for ellie 2007/8/11 04:37
hey ellie, I'm payton and yes i want to become a geiko to, ever since i was little i loved to the japanese culture and whenever i went to my grandma's house she had these dolls there (geisha, maiko) and of course i didn't know what they were but i've always wanted to be as beautiful and mysterious as them, Later on in my life i saw the oscars and as a nomination i saw memoirs of a geisha i was shocked i didn't know the dolls where actual people, so i read and watched to movie and became i love with the geisha themselfs Sorry to say but now i'm more exprienced in them but the geisha in the movies don't really look anything like the actual thing. And with the geisha losing there virginity (this doesn't take place any more)Arthur Golden said he put that in there so he could sell more books he even interviewed one of the most famous former geisha Mineko Iwasaki but used her and ruined her rep so you can see now i can't stand that book it makes westerns think that there prostuites which is compeletely false, Now i'm 14 and it has been around a year or two since and i love them just as much but i did my reading, watching other movies, and i'm learning how to speak japanese, i know 3 geiko dances, and starting to sing gion kouta (a common dance), but i learned these things by watching them on the internet so i hope you can get a GOOD view on the actual geiko themselfs. I would recommend Geisha: a life by Mineko Iwasaki

oh and by the way does anyone know where i can buy a shamisen i really want to learn,

thanks
Payton
by Payton rate this post as useful

hi 2007/8/19 20:14
i have not full interest in geisha but am really interested. what do geisha do exactly? whaz they job
by joker rate this post as useful

Internet search 2007/8/20 08:20
Try searching for "Geisha" on Wikipedia and you'll get plenty of info, and even pictures.

Becoming a geisha 2007/8/24 12:05
I'm goining to be honest their is a very low possibility that you will become a geisha. However, if you are serious about becoming a geisha then I think it would be in you best intrest to start rigoursly training in the ats of a geisha. Shameisan kibuki drums, dance, singing, etc. Also you are supposed to be 17 in kyoto 18 in tokyo. if you have any questions please contact me at shikondemon@hotmail.com as I would love to answer any of the questions you might have!
by Jess rate this post as useful

answer 2007/9/18 11:40
I believe they can because the author Liza Dalby became one and she was american.
by Jamie rate this post as useful

Page 5 of 7: Posts 81 - 100 of 129
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
next

reply to this thread