Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 5 of 233: Posts 81 - 100 of 4650
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 233
next

cemetery 2006/10/29 23:05
Bill:

I'm pretty sure its still there. My Yokohama contact (son of Sase-san) knows of it.
btw, how long were you and your folks in Japan?
by Eric Davis rate this post as useful

cemetary & park 2006/10/30 03:07
Bill, if you're talking about the Japanese cemetary that belongs to the temple of Zotokuji which is located up the hill, it's still their with our family grave in the middle. It now gives us a great view of Landmark Tower. I sometimes walk up to the fence to take a peek at the American style yards and houses. The steps are indeed quite a hassle for the elderlies though.

Negishi Park available to the public is also located just over a fence from the U.S. residences. It's a huge grassy park that even has a little horse-riding ground. I don't know what part of the Heights it originally belonged to.
by Uco rate this post as useful

the cemetery 2006/10/31 00:24
Uco:
Masako, our maid when we lived in Sannotani, had at least one relative at this cemetery. It has been almost 45 years since I was there but I still remember watching her light a small incense bundle among the graves.

Cemetery-Eric Davis 2006/11/1 03:25
Eric,
I was in Yokohama, Japan from March 1953 thru May 1954, (4th - 5th grades)and then Dad was transferred first to Ft. Lewis, Washington. Several months later we found ourselves in Greenville, NC.
--Bill Nunnery now Houston, TX
by Bill Nunnery rate this post as useful

cemetary and Park - Uco 2006/11/1 03:29
Uco, I believe I can now see the cemetery below what was Area 2 in the maps.google.com image. It is in different loc from what I remembered. I think the old chapel above Nasugbu Beach (Kinnick) school must have been torn down.
--Bill Nunnery

Spring, 2006 - Eric Davis 2006/11/1 03:49
Eric, it is now Oct 31, 2006, and I was wondering if you had a good trip back to Japan this past spring? I am still surprised at how much fill-in construction that has been done in Yokohama Bay. I remember seeing the bay from my house (#351 Area 2). I use to watch the ships go through the breakwater. I think there is a bridge there now.
I was limited as a 9 and 10 year old where I could go in 1953-54, and my memories are somewhat confused. --smile--

skipped trip 2006/11/1 04:48
Bill:

I didn't make the trip because of financial demands elsewhere but, if everything holds together this winter, I want to try to visit next spring. I have an invitation from Sase's family and am thinking I'll bring my 30 year old son who lives in Seattle, depending on his plans (girlfriend could get serious.)
I have about 200,000 freequent flyer miles on Northwest...
I understand Nasugbu Beach School and the entire US complex is gone now and only Area 1 is still there.
My dad worked for the Army's Japan Procurement Agency. Previously, we were in Sagamihara when dad worked at Camp Zama. We left Yokohama in 1961.

Skipped Trip - Eric 2006/11/1 06:11
Eric, I know you must have been disappointed not to make the trip last spring. By the way, Area #1 housing, as I remember it, was located across Ave D and along the beach. As I look a maps.google.com of that area, it is all built-up...no more govt housing that I can tell. When I lived in Japan, the Area 1 folks always had to be evacuated whenever there was a tsunami warning.

1968-1971 2006/11/1 10:44
Attended Richard E. Byrd School for first and part of second grade. Dominated at Menko, played on the Hat League (for the Mets), lived at 521 Skyline Drive a very short bike ride to the school.

First year in Japan lived in Yokosuka, across from the beach, in a traditional Japanese house. Looking for my earliest friends, Martin and Robin Malin from this time.
by Patrickj Fitzpatrick rate this post as useful

History of city and Q on Google Earth? 2006/11/1 15:46
Thank you for your feedback, Bill.

Actually, Yokohama has ''expanded'' dramatically over the whole century and a half. Originally, Route 1 was the edge of the land and the city's center used to be Kanagawa-juku (Kanagawa hotels) of the old Tokaido road. Even today there is a small touristical path in Kanagawa-ku that go through some of the old temples that were used as consulates.

Naka-ku was in the middle of nowhere until they opened the port in the Meiji Era. Since then the brick buildings have been the characteristic of Yokohama and a lot of them are still in use entertaining the tourists eyes at the same time.

The MM21 district is the newest part of Yokohama which is in fact quite cozy, roomy and grassy with of course the tallest building in Japan.

Yokohama doesn't give us the view it used to, but it has the new and the old. Unfortunately, the new Minatomirai Line railway system is a pain in the neck for us locals, but thank goodness they're not spending too much taxes after the major changed a few years ago even though he's not perfect either :)

Btw, how does everyone pinpoint districts in Yokohama on Google Earth? There are a lot of street names noted on the U.S. and Europe maps, but Google Earth only says ''Yokohama'' when it comes to Yokohama.

Sorry for the typo 2006/11/1 15:49
Incorrect: major changed
Correct: mayor changed

. 2006/11/1 16:04
Sorry to go slightly off topic, but how is the MinatoMirai railway a pain for locals?

I thought it was a step up from the old Tokyu train terminus at Sakuragicho Station, it provices better access to Minato Mirari area, China Town and connections to Shibuya.
by john rate this post as useful

off-topic: Minatomirai Line 2006/11/1 21:58
John,

You probably know that just a few years ago, anyone living along the Toyoko Line was able to buy a cheap train ticket and travel all the way to Sakuragicho Station without changing trains.

However, due to the establishment of the Minatomirai Line, Takashimacho and Sakuragicho Stations were disconnected from the Toyoko Line. Takashimacho was even closed down completely.

So to get to these areas from say Tanmachi Station on the Toyoko Line, you'll either have to walk an almost stations worth distance from Minatomirai Station, or change trains to JR at the confusingly renovated Yokohama Station.

If you change trains from Tokyu Toyoko Line to a JR line, obviously you need to purchase a new train ticket which doubles your travel fare. But the other thing is that even if you keep riding the Toyoko Line which automatically connects its railways into the Minatomirai Line, from Yokohama Station the train fare will double since Yokohama Stn on is opperated by other organizations.

Of course, tourists (foreign and local) who wish to come from Tokyo area to Chinatown or the old bay area has easy (although expensive) access now, and they will bring in lots of cash to city suffering from financial difficulties. Also each of the Minatomirai Line Stations are artistically decorated and have many amenities such as massage parlors and book shops.

But from Sakuragicho Station you can walk the nice woody Kisha-michi pedestrian bridge to the Warners' movie complex and a couple of malls. The central library, Nogeyama Zoo and several academic facilities are also located near Sakuragicho Station. All these spots aren't as touristical as Chinatown and Yamashita Park, but local Yokohama citizens are very much attached to them.

Tokyu Sakuragicho and Takashimacho Stations have been left as it was for a long time now. I'm not sure what they're going to do with it. Meanwhile new buildings are opened almost each month in the MM21.

I'm so sorry for all my typos 2006/11/1 22:03
Incorrect: have to walk an almost stations worth distance from Minatomirai Station

Correct: have to walk an almost 2 stations worth distance from Minatomirai Station

History...Uco 2006/11/1 22:40
Uco...
I'm no expert with maps.google.com, but after entering Yokohama, Japan as the location you want to see, click on the "Map" button and then click on "Hybrid" button to see the street names. All names are in Japanese, so no help to me. Click on "satellite" button to see the aerial picture. Street names will be visible also until you zoom too close for them to be overlayed. You might have to click on "hybrid" button again after clicking on the "satellite" button.

History...Uco 2006/11/1 22:54
Uco,
I'm using maps.google.com and not earth.google.com. I didn't clarify that in my original message.

San Kaien 2006/11/2 00:56
Can you find San Kai-en Gardens on the Google map ?

San Kaien - Eric 2006/11/2 02:39
Eric, maybe Unco can find San Kaien Gardens. It took me awhile to find the area where I use to live. Ifound a map of Area #2 on one of the web sites mentioned in the Forum and then was able to zoom in to find it on maps.google based on my limited memory of where things were in 1954.

S-K Gardens 2006/11/2 03:38
I know what you mean. After 45 years, things get a little hazy. If you remember where the PX complex was and walked (or biked) toward Area 2 on Avenue D, we lived directly across from the middle gate of this housing area at #91 Sannotani. The streetcar stopped just past our house and this was where the streetcar changed directions to head back toward the PX and on through a tunnel.
Behind our house, about a 10 minute bike ride, was San Kaien Gardens with its big goldfish ponds and the pagoda. The edge of the gardens was a 30 foot cliff that we could climb down to get to the seashore. I liked to rent a fishing boat and go crabbing in these waters, sharing my catch with the Japanese kids who were doing the same thing. We'd build a fire and cook our catch right on the beach. Now, I've been told that this fishery is gone; landfilled for a refinery or some other industry.
A few years ago, I happened to come across a newspaper article by Kunio Francis Tanaka, book editor of the Washington Post about this. He was raised in this neighborhood and you might be able to find his article via google.

correction 2006/11/2 03:45
Kunio Francis Tanabe.

Not Tanaka.

Page 5 of 233: Posts 81 - 100 of 4650
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 233
next

reply to this thread