Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 52 of 233: Posts 1021 - 1040 of 4650
prev
1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 233
next

Happy Thanksgiving to all! 2008/11/25 15:18
Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving - and that we all survive the economic meltdown without too much damage! By the way, we were at the Met Opera tonight - and found ourselves surrounded by several dozen young men and women from West Point! - a first! Never saw anyone remotely military there before. Nice to see these impressive young people there.
by Steffi rate this post as useful

Soldiers in Concert 2008/11/26 00:12
When I was stationed in Chicago at food inspection school a friend in class suggested that we go to the USO to see what was happening. When we got there we found a desk that offered free tickets to shows in the city. One was for the Ice Capades which I had never seen, so we decided to go. As a requirement we had to be in Class A uniforms [ dress] So we had our tickets and went to the huge arena, There were crowds everywhere and we found our entrance gate that was pretty quiet. An usher took out tickets and we proceeded to the section reserved for service people. The arena was packed except for the block of seats that was totally empty! I was both amused and embarrased, here we were, the only two guys in a section of a thousand seets, all empty. We sat in the front row center and had a great time, they must have thought we were generals.
In Yokohama at the cold storage facility we had a new young man work with us as we checked the turkeys prior to thanksgiving. They were packed in large cardboard boxes and we asked him to open one so we could check for freezer burn. He couldn't believe his eyes, and picked up one of the 25 pounders and exclamed that he had never see such large chickens, how does America grow such large chickens! Apprently he had no knowledge of turkeys or thanksgiving so I brought him some after it was cooked. he seemed to like it and we all had a good laugh.
The best to all of you, my wish for you is that you are able to spend thanksgiving with people that you like, rather than people that you are obliged to be with. My leaves are pretty much done the rest will see spring. Yesteerday it was 27 degrees in New Hampshire. So much for global warming. Some day I would like to go to the Met. Steffi, you guys get out a lot.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Negishi Heights Memories 2008/12/2 19:38
Hi everyone:

I currently live in Negishi Heights and I was doing some research about this community and came across your postings. I even found pictures of Negishi during the 60's. So, I created a Yahoo group for all those who want to post their pictures and memories of Negishi, and even find old neighbors and classmates. Plus, some of the current Negishi residents will join the group too and will add current pictures as well.
To join this group go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/negishihm or go to Yahoo! Groups and in the search box type Negishi Heights Memories.

See you there

Yensi
by Yensi rate this post as useful

Negishi 2008/12/2 23:17
Yensi Thanks for finding us .I will go to your site. As you may have read I lived in Yokohama in the mid to late 60's at a place called Medori Gaoka not far from Nigishi. There was a person who was on the thread earlier she called herself " Negishi Now" don't know if she is still around . The web site for Negishi housing had a video showing the area and a run down on the facilities. They removed it about six months ago. When I lived there there were thousands of personel in the Yokohama area, not like now. Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving, I had a great one, no family fights ! yea ! Has been some snow in NH but none here.. yet. My little deer with the broken leg has not come back, I expect that Gimpy is gone.

Hi Yensi 2008/12/4 02:14
Its always great to see a message from a new poster on this page. Maybe you can fill in how long you've lived in Negishi and what life is like there today...
by Eric rate this post as useful

Steffi 2008/12/6 12:01
This doesn't have anything to do with Japan, but since you are a psychologist, may I bring up a subject that has been bugging me--the origin of PAIN. I can see how pain might have evolved to tell the brain that the body has been damaged in some way, and that the organism must do something to correct the problem. But, isn't pain the cause of almost all fear, because pain itself is what most people fear? Humans don't fear the wild animal, they fear the pain that the wild animal might inflict on them. To paraphrase President Roosevelt, "The only thing we have to fear is pain itself." Apparently all animals experience pain, so pain must have evolved very early in the evolutionary process, before life split into the various species. But, doesn't pain contradict Darwin's theory of "Natural Selection," because the pain that would signal a problem with the organism's structure could be so debilitating that it would impede the organism in fighting off a predator? So, the contradiction is that the organism would die if it didn't fix the problem with its structure, but it would also die if it didn't fight for its survival. I've tried to think what I would be like if I didn't have a nervous system, and the main thing that comes to my mind is that I would be much more bold. If I couldn't experience pain, I would take a lot more chances. I believe that the fact that there is pain proves that the evolutionary theory is false, or at least has some serious problems. Do you care to comment on this?
Please don't send me a bill.
by Wally rate this post as useful

106th medic, 65-67 2008/12/6 13:43
Sorry I don't remember where the Navy Exchange was. I'm writing because I've been searching for information about the 106th Gen. Hosp. This is the first time I found anyone who knows about my hosp at Kishine. The records were destroyed by fire in a St. Louis, KY. storage facility. I had a lot of friends that I have no records of and some, I can't remember their names. I remember Sgt. Pardito, Kavangalopis, Maj. Cunningham (RN). I'd sure like to find any web site related to the 106th. It was a great group. We were receiving as high as 250 casualties in a day. Sometimes we were on our feet for 72 hours. At one point I gave 2 units of blood and redturned to duty immediately. Our men and women worked hard. If anyone knows anything please E me. Thanks.
by Don rate this post as useful

Wally - for gratis! - anytime! 2008/12/7 01:14
Wow! I guess a top-of-my-head response would be that what you're talking about is really the issue of motivation, and motivation in humans as it relates to behavior (and perhaps also in animals - we don't really know) is much more complicated than simply the desire or need for avoidance of physical pain.

People's behavior is governed by so many things - ie, desire for recognition, avoidance of embarrassment, monitary gain, career advancement, sexual needs, desires for friendship, aggressive needs, needs for revenge, needs for conformity, etc etc. Often these kinds of needs will come to the forefront, and people may overlook their need even to avoid pain. Think of wartime bravery, where a person may risk injury or death to himself in order to save a buddy or destroy a hated enemy, or a parent who'll dive into a freezing river to rescue his drowning child, or people who go into burning buildings to rescue people they may not even know. So motivations become prioritized - one kind of need may take precedence over another, and they may change with time or circumstance.

As for the issue of pain, there are many types of pain in addition to physical, and some of these are just as motivating. I'm sure physical pain evolved as an important self-protective mechanism for health and preservation of life, as you point out

As for the evolution concept - I don't really see a contradiction. One type of pain-avoidance will protect a person in one situation, and the opposite behavior may be needed in another. Life is complicated and people need different behaviors at different times - neither negates the need for the other.

Hope this makes some kind of sense and relates to what you're asking.

Don 2008/12/7 01:22
I was at the 106th Army General Hospital, Yokohama, Japan, from Jan 67 to Aug 68, and was in the Chief Nurse's office. You must have been in the airlift from Fort Bliss to Kishine Barracks in 1965. My boss, Col Geis, Chief Nurse, told me how rough it was. She said that Sgt Pardito was her right hand man. You mentioned First Sergeant Frank Kavanlopas. Great guy, I wonder what ever happened to him. I remember a nurse, Maj Cunningham, who became one of the Night Supervisors. Col Geis passed away in 2002. Which Ward did you work on, and what nurses and corpsmen did you work with? A couple of websites you might be interested in: www.usamcja.com, and www.Military.com (then go to Unit Pages, click on Army, and type in 106th General Hospital, Japan, and hit search). Give me some questions and I will try to answer them, and I will probably have a few questions for you!

106th 2008/12/7 03:20
Wally I have found a web site for the 106th. It is WWW.106thevacuationhospital.com This is a relatively new site and has some good photos of WW2 106th nurses comming ashore on the beaches of Normandy, along with other vintage shots. This site is mostly all ww2 related but you should get a kick out of it. Yours

Nerves 2008/12/7 06:49
Hey Wally, you know what life is like without a nervous system, remember comming home from the peanut club? Sorry, just had to get that one in. Who loves ya bro.

Steffi 2008/12/7 09:27
Thank you for sharing your extensive knowledge with us, you gave me a lot to consider. I will not ask you any more such questions as I realize this is not the right forum for it. Forgive me for bringing it up, but I had been thinking about the subject all day, and it was late at night and my mind was fuzzy; so I thought I would ask someone with more knowledge of the subject than I, and since Peter was busy inventing the automobile, I addressed it to you.

Wally 2008/12/8 02:18
That's okay. I don't know how to give quick to-the-point answers - sorry - which is why I could never be a teacher. Actually, if you're interested in the topic of evolution, there's a terrific novel by Andrea Barrett which I would heartily recommend. It's called "Voyage of the Narwhal", and it deals with mid 1800's expeditions to the arctic, which was also when survival-of-the-fittest issues and evolution were being widely debated, so these issues come up in this terrific adventure story.

Happy Chanukah 2008/12/11 00:39
I wish Steffi and all of our other Jewish friends at this forum a Happy Chanukah, and I pray that they and their families be richly blessed in the coming year!

Wally

. 2008/12/11 01:24
A very nice thought. What would you like Santa to bring you for christmas?
by peter rate this post as useful

climbing the big hill 2008/12/11 09:22
Think I"ve found the 'big hill' that bordered area B, I believe was where we lived, in nice 2-story duplexes, ours was the very 1st at the bottom of the hill and we kids would play in the brush and scrub and climb all the way up to the top where you could get out onto the roadway sidewalk and walk down the hill. There was a little stationery store right across from our area, and a candy and comic store in that block. If i'm finding the location on GoogleEarth correctly, there's a gigantic school and athletic complex where our houses used to be, and we were practically walking distance to Sankien gardens. We lived there 1969-70, and in Minami-Rinkan near Atsugi before that for a short time. My sister and I had to ride the bus to Sancta Maria IS, that school has closed and I can't remember it's location to even see if the building is still there. We seemed to go everywhere on the train, often to Tokyo for sightseeing, once a special services bus tour to Mashiko, of course Kamakura, Yokosuka, and Osaka for Expo 70. What great times!
by Julie rate this post as useful

NEX plaza layout 2008/12/11 09:48
Haven't thought about this in some years, but I recall that as you came upon the complex from the direction of the beach housing areas, there was a teen boutique store or teen club? which my mom never let me check out, then a beauty shop, next was the commissary?? there was a vendor arcade before you got to the Exchange, and we made friends with a lovely Japanese lady who hand-painted greeting cards and would paint your face on a wooden kokeshi doll from a photo. My mom hired her for painting lessons. The Exchange was kind of cavernous and I recall enormous amounts of souvenirs and knickknacks and Japanese craft products. A snack bar anchored the corner and possibly the theatre was next to that? I remember the snack bar from dining in it many times. There was also a very old US compound somewhere else in the city where we would go to the library and the stars and stripes bookstore - the buildings were WW2 era to be sure. I remember well shopping at Motomachi, it was kind of light industrial with wholesale stores serving other businesses. Isezakicho was the bomb, the entrance glittered like Christmas all year round, and my allowance was spent at Yurindo, a multistory book and stationery store. We kids 'collected' stickers and wacky erasers like crazy. Mom thankfully was a culture vulture which kept us busy while dad was deployed. We took drawing lessons from a gentle old Japanese man at the Special Services racetrack facility, mom really got into Ikebana or flower arranging, and she also taught several groups of moms in our housing area to decorate cakes -- anyone remember enjoying extremely fancy cakes for six weeks at a time? At the international school we ordered in lunch from a restaurant in motomachi, it was the best - bowls of ramen and sweet corn soup, lunchboxes of siu mai or pork hash dumplings and rice. At our school we had 'inside shoes' and big shoe racks in the basement where you changed. Our school gym was on the 6th floor of our building, it was different going to school in a high rise. Our school uniforms were in the English style of jumpers and blazers and ties. Some of our teachers were navy wives -- Mrs . Webb the math teacher, Mrs. Berryman the english teacher. The rest were grumpy Spanish nuns!
Hey does anyone remember the o-bon dancing they would hold in the NEX parking lot? It was huge, lasted several days, everyone would put on yukata and dance together in big circles. I especially remember how awesome and cheap Barbies and Barbie clothes were, we had tons including beautiful Barbie kimonos. My friends and I also bought and traded comics constantly, the sailors provided a steady supply of used comics and every once in a while there would be boxes of them for sale in the PX arcade. Our duplex neighbors were from the Philippines, Mr. & Mrs. Arciaga, and they had a kitchen garden in their back yard, threw huge parties and cooked the greatest food. Later we visited with their relatives when we moved to Subic. But that's a story for a different forum!
by Julie rate this post as useful

"Other compound" 2008/12/11 15:31
Hi Julie,

I believe the "other compound" you are referring to was probably Bayside Courts. When I arrived in Japan in 1980 (as a Navy wife), there was a Navy Lodge in one of the buildings in Bayside Courts. My husband and I stayed there for about 5 weeks until we moved into a Navy Housing unit (also a two-story duplex) in Negishi Heights - the area by the old grandstand and racetrack area. At that time, Bayside Courts had the following (to the best of my memory): Navy Lodge, unaccompanied housing, library, Naval Overseas Investigative Service Japan, Security (military police), a very small cafe, and Hillside Chapel (once a Chief's Club which was actually built into the hillside and a bonafide bomb shelter). There were a few of the buildings used for storage, too I believe. Also, I don't think there was a Stars & Stripes Book Store there at that time.

The main Exchange complex also had a bowling alley on the right-hand side. On the left side was a package store (liquor), barber shop, beauty shop, and a couple other shops that I can't quite recall - may a cigarette outlet (??)
by Lori rate this post as useful

teen club near the PX complex 2008/12/12 01:27
Julie;

This was called the Neet Nac Club. It was open to kids 13 and older...
by Eric rate this post as useful

Thanks to Wally - welcome to Julie! 2008/12/13 03:06
Thank you Wally for the Chanukah greetings. We actually celebrate most holidays - since there are many intermarriages in our family, we kind of celebrate in a generic way. Welcome to Julie - don't recall seeing your messages here before. You seem to have amazing recollections of an interesting time in your life. How long were you in Japan and what were the circumstances? Hope Peter is well, and everybody else also. Here in NYC it has finally stopped raining - for a while it felt like a typhoon!

Page 52 of 233: Posts 1021 - 1040 of 4650
prev
1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 233
next

reply to this thread